Dun Utd v Ayr Utd - 21/12

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Just to add my tuppence worth I also thought we were immense in the first half.

The defence wad solid, bell in particular looked assured (until the error), Houston was outstanding too.

Passes were sharp, and cut through the lines well. Good, purposeful attacking play - but we lack a killer instinct (would we be top this season of we still had shankland?)

But the Dundee United fans are right in that we didn't really create clear chances. They defend well, and we should've taken a shot earlier on a few occasions. Moore doesn't do enough for me but he didn't do anything wrong today. Imo moff would've linked better from the start and I've got no idea why he's been benched recently.

But in football if you don't score you often get punished. Dundee United were very clinical, and then the penalty changes everything. I suspect it is a clear penalty which makes the red card even worse. But he's young, and he'll learn from this.

Overall I'm happy with that. At least I know that Kerr can get the team playing well. We'll beat a lot of teams with a similar performance and a wee touch of luck.

Dundee United strolling the league - and although second best, they took advantage of the Ayr mistakes/head's gone. Ah well.

Dundee Utd created nothing first half so I think  that  maybe flattered our defence looking solid a bit. They rarely had the ball in the final third at all.

We were better in the final third but I though their defence ragdolled us a bit and didn't look particularly troubled, even Moore got shoved off the ball a couple times,

When we got the ball to our wide players we really cut them open and Houston was firing low crosses into the box. Which is the only chance we have of scoring from them as the high crosses were comfortably dealt with by them

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He got booked for the penalty then booked again for dissent for reacting to it.

No he never , Harvie got booked for questioning penalty , Kerr got a straight red for Foul and Abusive Language towards referee , although he told ref he was not speaking to him , generally speaking to team  

No he never , Harvie got booked for questioning penalty , Kerr got a straight red for Foul and Abusive Language towards referee , although he told ref he was not speaking to him , generally speaking to team  

Yeah I realise that now. I was going off Twitter and then BBC reporting before I saw the highlights.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just seen the incident (Dundee Utd breaking the rules with the early upload) and it's a yellow to Harvie for dissent and then a straight red to Kerr for dissent so I'm guessing Kerr gave him more abuse than normal. Guessing a straight red in any circumstance is two matches out?

Also the goals we lost from open play are fucking abysmal. Not decided yet who's was worse. 

1 game only

Edited by Robbo63

Overall I'm happy with that. At least I know that Kerr can get the team playing well. We'll beat a lot of teams with a similar performance and a wee touch of luck.

This is the important bit.

We keep that first half up and we’ll win more games than we lose and should easily be in the playoffs.

Last time our defence gifted goals with such largesse was when we lost 3 in the first 20 minutes against ICT at Somerset last season. Think Bell and Rose (x2) were the culprits then. No cutting edge and error prone defence is a recipe for relegation, no matter how nice our play might be on occasions. 

By the way, Moore was never offside from that Houston pass. Would have been through for a 1 on 1. (Probably have missed right enough. Thought he'd regained his finishing touch in the games v Morton away and Partick at home. Now back to his frustrating worst).

The learning curve continues for Kerr, but encouraging signs nonetheless, even after getting beat 4-0.

Kerr's always been a wholehearted type of player that I wonder if also being the manager has in some way contributed to today's red card for dissent of all things. Would he have felt the need to react as he did if we was only a player? Just a thought I had at the time.

Whats clearly evident is that the January window can't come soon enough, its vitally important we come out of it stronger than we go into it and if someone suggested central defenders, midfielders and forwards to come in, I couldn't disagree with them.

39 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Watched the goals back this morning, never a penalty. I really want to know what Mark Kerr said to the ref though.

Kerr kicked he back of Stanton’s foot as Stanton was kicking the ball.  A foul outside the box and a penalty inside it.

Watched the goals back this morning, never a penalty. I really want to know what Mark Kerr said to the ref though.
The first United fan to say this. I've still not looked yet so I'll reserve judgment.

I think a few Ayr fans are being harsh on our defence.

We looked genuinely assured for almost the entire first half and a lot of the attacks came from quick, safe balls into good areas. You can't really have no nonsense defending and play as dominant with the ball like we did yesterday (that's higher level defending, but there's always risk attached to the reward).

I'd want moff and even young McKenzie ahead of Moore at the moment - although Moore is worth keeping as he'll do a job and can clearly score goals.

Replacing Kerr might be the biggest headache.

How does he give that as a penalty? That, and the two clear offside mistakes (one didn't have mattered but one really did) really do make it sore one to take.

I hope we can appeal, even just to highlight to the ref how bad a decision it was. No idea about the sending off, obviously - details and tone matter.

And defensively it was clearly muirhead who made the bigger errors - not bell. His back heel and then the cross box ball were both ridiculous decisions.

Bell makes a big error for the first goal but other than than he was very good. He's our best centre half. The mistake late on was him trying to play the right pass but it just gets cut out.

2 dreadful offside calls. A penalty that wasn't. A red card for the type of comment that goes unpunished in the vast majority of games in a weekend. You could say Ayr were screwed by the officials.
Then you look at the defending for the other 3 goals and realise they were masters of their own downfall again. Reckon about 2/3 to 3/4 of the goals lost this season have been down to individual errors and those 3 yesterday were laughable. Any money Kerr has in January should be spent on making Ayr harder to beat as yesterday underlined that teams just have to sit back, soak up the pressure and wait for the back lot to present them with an easy chance.