Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Booker_d said:

I live in Bangkok and EVERYONE at work has had some sort of cold or flu this week. So if the bioweapon rumours are true then we should dieing horrible deaths in about a week, which I guess saves me money on Valentines day. 

Only what, 350 deaths? But a recent video shows a guy walking around a hospital in Wuhan and counts 8 bodybags in about 5 minutes. Top detective work finding 2% of the total deaths all within the space of 100 metres of each other. Maybe Alfredo Morelos's missus should have hired this guy instead?

The Chinese central government wouldn’t conceal the truth would they?

Philippines have confirmed that someone has died from coronavirus.

The body will be cremated as is normal custom for someone no feeling well from a touch of the flu.

Big push for Philippines to be taken serious in this competition.

Again, another Chinese person (from Wuhan).

Interesting to note the statistics of the infected overall that are Mainland Chinese and from Hubei. Definitely looks like the local governments really screwed this up and the spread in Hubei has been huge.

Not sure the connection of illness to method of ‘disposal’. Its normal process for cremation in Buddhism.

I live in Bangkok and EVERYONE at work has had some sort of cold or flu this week. So if the bioweapon rumours are true then we should dieing horrible deaths in about a week, which I guess saves me money on Valentines day. 
Only what, 350 deaths? But a recent video shows a guy walking around a hospital in Wuhan and counts 8 bodybags in about 5 minutes. Top detective work finding 2% of the total deaths all within the space of 100 metres of each other. Maybe Alfredo Morelos's missus should have hired this guy instead?

Flu season right now in the region. Absolute no surprise the number of illnesses and people wearing masks at your work. My wife, kid and I have all had a virus the past two weeks (none of us drank Corona so all safe and recovered).

All this nonsense of Bio weapons and people ‘dying’ in the street, sigh. Suppose its normal these days, but by f**k its stupid.

Fortunately here in Singapore we don’t see all this nonsense as it is illegal and the government have been clamping down on websites that host/report fake news.

One thing I would be certain on is the local government in Hubei messing this up and the infection rate is considerably higher there than reported. The number of overseas infections that are actually Chinese and mostly from Hubei is huge. There will be a bigger story there (which will not involve bio-weapons).

6 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

So I guess, I think the government have done the right thing offering to bring these sniffling cowards home, once back don’t let them out again, they give us emigres a bad name 😉

I can totally understand people in that situation wanting to get out and home ASAP, there's just something a bit off about the international community demanding that China do everything they can to contain the outbreak while at the same time insisting on breaking quarantine for their own citizens.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Philippines have confirmed that someone has died from coronavirus.
The body will be cremated as is normal custom for someone no feeling well from a touch of the flu.

62,000 Americans died from the flu last year. Here's the estimates for just the last 4 months.

image.thumb.png.cc9ee46ef932a69ad60b462ab466ee2b.png

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, Booker_d said:

Shocking to hear of people dying in a hospital.

I can totally understand people in that situation wanting to get out and home ASAP, there's just something a bit off about the international community demanding that China do everything they can to contain the outbreak while at the same time insisting on breaking quarantine for their own citizens.

Fully agree with that but its not Bio warfare or zombie attacks as some would suggest.

Generally speaking Chinese hospitals are of a higher standard and pretty efficient and the complete breakdown in these hospitals and the volume of people passing through (not being helped as it is flu season) its very strange. At the same time the spread of the virus inside China and outside (bearing in mind that most of the cases outside China are actually people from Hubei itself would suggest that the virus was probably on the go in Wuhan undetected for some time and chances are miss-management and and the whole set up in China contributed to it.

For now this is not a serious killer but economically and politically its huge and governments are probably reacting to keep it from spreading at home (wherever that is). Flying people home, controlled and accounted for is far safer than leaving people to return in dribs and drabs and not being properly screened.

The cost to governments, businesses and economies this can bring, as China will discover, will spur governments into action.

This is more political than medical.

9 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

At the same time the spread of the virus inside China and outside (bearing in mind that most of the cases outside China are actually people from Hubei itself would suggest that the virus was probably on the go in Wuhan undetected for some time and chances are miss-management and and the whole set up in China contributed to it.

I'm not sure of the procedure here if you went to your GP with flu symptoms before this kicked off. Would they check the type or just tell you to stay in bed and take some Lemsip? I suspect the latter. On the other hand I heard that the head Hubei honcho knew something was up and was waiting for Beijing to tell him what to do about it before announcing it.

Edited by welshbairn

I'm not sure of the procedure here if you went to your GP with flu symptoms before this kicked off. Would they check the type or just tell you to stay in bed and take some Lemsip? I suspect the latter. On the other hand I heard that the head Hubei honcho knew something was up and was waiting for Beijing to tell him what to do about it before announcing it.

That about sums it up. The first part is just a statement of fact. Up to whatever data tipping point, there would be no reaction by doctors, but at some point the whole ‘mechanism’ with the WHO would kick in. Thats appears to have been missed, by some distance.

China probably sticks out as one country that data would be quickly available as they do tend to harvest your data and biometrics everywhere, including hospitals.

This is where the style of government starts to breakdown. Big projects work fantastic as down streaming policies are easily followed, but up streaming, well not so straight forward when you are educated and trained to only follow, your superior always knows best and especially when its bad news.

As said some time ago on this thread, expect a few people to be going to prison in China for this (rightly or wrongly).

Very little posturing in the table today. The Australian cases now confirmed, so the Love Island experiment may be paying dividends as Australia push themselves forward.

No other changes at the top of the table and China just blast away all opposition. Closing in on 15k and have surpassed the SARs PB (personal best). The world can only really watch in awe at the mastery of the country in this sport.

G7 countries are set to meet, discuss and issue a joint statement on the crisis. Hopefully they have not been reading this thread or the statement may make little to no sense.

Singapore refuse entry to 15 people in the first 13 hours of the China band including 1 Brit and and 1 Yank who had been to China.

IMG_2105.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/topics/wuhan-virus

China takes us through 17,000 infections this morning. Spectacular performance!

All Repatriated Indonesians declared free from the virus.

Could have been an interesting tactic by Indonesia:

‘Seven Indonesian citizens stayed in China, four by choice and three because they did not meet health requirements for the flight.’

Looks like they pre-screened before allowing anyone to leave.

Off to the Land of Chuckles for a couple of days. Airport here was pretty quiet and the plane is less than half full for a flight that is normally packed.

If I get to the hotel sharp may relax with a couple pf Coronas.

On 02/02/2020 at 09:34, Booker_d said:

Some French organisation was putting the true number of infections at 75,000 in Wuhan alone a few days ago based on their modelling of how the virus has behaved. It's important to remember that the Chinese figures are only officially confirmed cases, not people who have never gone to hospital or never been tested etc.

If the death rate of 2% is accurate then the actual number of deaths in Wuhan should be around 1,500 if my maths is ok.

On 02/02/2020 at 17:28, welshbairn said:

As daft as it sounds, this is actually the right thing for him to do by Chinese law.

Local officials can go to prison for declaring an emergency. Everything has to be controlled by the centre.

So, the Chinese are going to put some people in jail over this, but the only reason these people did anything wrong to start with is because doing the right thing carried the risk of going to prison anyway. What can you do?

This is why the local officials did essentially f**k all at the start of the outbreak.

Edited by JTS98

36 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Some French organisation was putting the true number of infections at 75,000 in Wuhan alone a few days ago based on their modelling of how the virus has behaved. It's important to remember that the Chinese figures are only officially confirmed cases, not people who have never gone to hospital or never been tested etc.

If the death rate of 2% is accurate then the actual number of deaths in Wuhan should be around 1,500 if my maths is ok.

It's a massive assumption to assume the death rate among those who have not sought medical treatment and been officially diagnosed is the same. Its probably more likely it would make the overall death rate lower.

I imagine this Daily Heil article is very popular with antivaxxer type people.

Think the final sentence in the article sums it all up:

Mr Reed added that the Foreign Office were 'disinterested' when he told them about his infection

A UK researcher published the figures had to be inaccurate from initial data modelling. I think I maybe alluded to that right back at the start and is what tweaked my interest.

When this broke and China were saying a couple of hundred infections and it was starting to appear overseas the modelling done suggested this was not possible and the figure had to be above 1700 at the time. That multiplied out would come above 75k now.

I think it’s safe to assume the numbers were fudged and delays on the reporting (and your right what you say).

What a mess, that possibly could have been mostly contained.