Coronavirus (COVID-19)

45 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Where are they based? Not recording cases in every Kanton so far so if nothing has been diagnosed where you’ll be based then they possibly aren’t doing anything different.

Reaction here is a mixed bag. The national government has taken some action, the rest is being left up to the masses. They are hideously sensible here in general, tend to be in excellent physical condition and the health service, while expensive, is world class. Plenty of firms have hit the panic button though.

Solothurn. Thanks for the information; I'm finding it difficult to find much detail online. I've handed in my notice here so would obviously prefer not to be out of work for longer than necessary. I start in 3 weeks and as we've seen a lot can happen in that time.

15 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I've made no claims about the quality of the European response.

In a country where bad news could easily be reported and acted on, this would have been contained faster and the rest of the world could have been better informed rather than receiving direct flights from xxxxxxx for weeks.

I was assuming you'd include Italy in a list of countries where 'bad news could easily be reported and acted on'. It's clear now that this hasn't helped to contain it. There are people all over social media saying it's not serious. Is that not a systemic problem, too?

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, bendan said:

I was assuming you'd include Italy in a list of countries where 'bad news could easily be reported and acted on'. It's clear now that this hasn't helped to contain it. There are people all over social media saying it's not serious. Is that not a systemic problem, too?

Again, I don't know how to make this any clearer.

The two things you're comparing are not the same.

Had some medical officials in Italy or France or Mexico found this virus in their population, they would have been free to say so and to get the wheels moving to stop it spreading to the rest of the world, or to at least slow that spread. This was not the case in China. In the initial stages China did nothing, and how could they? Reporting this was against the law! Flights taking off from Wuhan to all over the world every day for weeks and the rest of the world not knowing that they were dealing with.

The subsequent response and lack of organisation is a separate issue. Any country can have useless politicians and people who have been promoted above their abilities. China has a system that paralyses the response to bad news and makes this kind of thing a disaster.

Again, the people who initially found and talked about this in China fell foul of the law. Think about that.

Edited by JTS98

12 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Again, I don't know how to make this any clearer.

The two things you're comparing are not the same.

Had some medical officials in Italy or France or Mexico found this virus in their population, they would have been free to say so and to get the wheels moving to stop it spreading to the rest of the world, or to at least slow that spread. This was not the case in China. In the initial stages China did nothing, and how could they? Reporting this was against the law! Flights taking off from Wuhan to all over the world every day for weeks and the rest of the world not knowing that they were dealing with.

The subsequent response and lack of organisation is a separate issue. Any country can have useless politicians and people who have been promoted above their abilities. China has a system that paralyses the response to bad news and makes this kind of thing a disaster.

Again, the people who initially found and talked about this in China fell foul of the law. Think about that.

What was the length of time between the whistleblower doctor raising concerns that there was a SARS like virus going about and it becoming public knowledge?  

30 minutes ago, Matador said:

Solothurn. Thanks for the information; I'm finding it difficult to find much detail online. I've handed in my notice here so would obviously prefer not to be out of work for longer than necessary. I start in 3 weeks and as we've seen a lot can happen in that time.

https://so.ch/verwaltung/departement-des-innern/gesundheitsamt/kantonsaerztlicher-dienst/infektionskrankheiten/neues-coronavirus/

No idea if they have an English translation of their website...

I'd get onto the company to confirm things, but I imagine if they haven't said much then not much has changed.

Where in Solothurn will you be based? Thanks to the antiquated system for recording births in this country, my son when he is born will be registered as being from that Kanton, on account of the missus' old man being born there.

Guest JTS98
6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

What was the length of time between the whistleblower doctor raising concerns that there was a SARS like virus going about and it becoming public knowledge?  

The timeline is quite public. What is not clear is when the first of the 8 'rumour mongers', as the Chinese police labelled them, made their claims.

It is worth noting that the Chinese authorities went on pestering whistleblowers even after China had reported the pneumonia cases to the WHO. Dr. Li sent his 'rumour mongering' text messages on the 30th of December. Flights from Wuhan went on for 3 weeks after that. Three weeks of flights to San Francisco, Dubai, Paris, London.

Worth noting that he was one of eight. He was not the only one. And instead of acting on this news, the Chinese authorities threatened these people with arrest and continued flying people out of Wuhan and around the world. This made the spread of the virus both inevitable and fast.

Great stuff.

19 hours ago, OSP said:

RIP resk.

NHS are expecting a significant rise in numbers in next few days, particularly in Glasgow and Edinburgh. If only I had been born a teuchter...

You'd probably still support Celtic, though.

Yeah the first few days and weeks are much more imprudent than the containment phase that we're currently in.

There's no doubt China fucked this up at the start. Now all the nations of the world are getting a big test on how to cope in a crisis. Italy seem to be (unsurprisingly) having a bit of a mare.

As much as that c**t in number 10 is in power I'd still fancy my chances here than most other countries. We've got a very strong scientific culture in this country, and most people tend to stay calm follow the rules (despite social media).

Last week it was still the case that Scotland had tested more people for covit19 than the entire USA. [emoji1787][emoji1787] I presume they've overtaken us now, what worth their population being over 100 times bigger.

cef5eaee-4268-4961-8fd8-2da05dd55d17.jpg

Gonna enjoy Farage’s feud with international health authorities given he’s just returned from CPAC where someone tested positive for coronavirus. If him and all the rest of the conservative ghouls end up dying from this then we’ll know whether we live in a morally just universe.

29 minutes ago, Ross. said:

https://so.ch/verwaltung/departement-des-innern/gesundheitsamt/kantonsaerztlicher-dienst/infektionskrankheiten/neues-coronavirus/

No idea if they have an English translation of their website...

I'd get onto the company to confirm things, but I imagine if they haven't said much then not much has changed.

Where in Solothurn will you be based? Thanks to the antiquated system for recording births in this country, my son when he is born will be registered as being from that Kanton, on account of the missus' old man being born there.

Cheers. Couldn't see one but ran it through Google Translate and it doesn't appear to have anything out of the ordinary on it, yet!

It's a 1 year contract & I will be working in Luterbach and initially staying in the town of Solothurn itself. To plan is to suss out more permanent accommodation once I'm over there.

2 minutes ago, Matador said:

Cheers. Couldn't see one but ran it through Google Translate and it doesn't appear to have anything out of the ordinary on it, yet!

It's a 1 year contract & I will be working in Luterbach and initially staying in the town of Solothurn itself. To plan is to suss out more permanent accommodation once I'm over there.

Not an area I have spent a huge amount of time in, but Solothurn itself has a cracking old town. Only time I have ever really been there is when I have been going to gigs, Kofmehl is a decent wee venue and always worth keeping an eye on for upcoming events. A bit like where I am based it's the middle of nowhere but handy for everywhere.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

cef5eaee-4268-4961-8fd8-2da05dd55d17.jpg

Gonna enjoy Farage’s feud with international health authorities given he’s just returned from CPAC where someone tested positive for coronavirus. If him and all the rest of the conservative ghouls end up dying from this then we’ll know whether we live in a morally just universe.

The distrust of experts thing pushed by yer Farage types is really coming into play here. If you look at any highly qualified medical professional's tweets about the coronavirus there are about ten comments from folk with union flag emoji's in their name telling them to shut up and stop scaremongering. Genuinely mental that these folk with two about two standard grades think they know better than folk who've dedicated their whole lives to learning and working in medicine. 

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor

Going by that, it seems you'd be better getting it early, especially if you're vulnerable.