Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

I muted viking-ton ages ago, but I saw this quoted and it's a perfect example of the kind of mistake an armchair amateur epidemiologist makes:

"Oh and if people are really looking for experts instead of ‘armchair epidemiologists’ to criticise what the UK has been doing, then look no further than the editor of The Lancet’s intervention today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advice-wrong

There has been a lot more where that came from over recent days. Other academics and health experts haven’t been doing that to throw their government colleagues under a bus but because the government’s response to the crisis has been baffling and alarming in equal measure to those who know what they’re talking about as well."

The editor of The Lancet isn't an epidemiologist. He's a doctor. He believes that it's possible to contain Covid-19, but epidemiologists tell him he's wrong.

The facts that China, Japan, Singapore etc. are already containing the disease rather confirms that it is possible to be contained. As of today there are zero new cases in Hubei, the epicentre of the original outbreak. But yeah - mebbe if they kept all the schools open for weeks and strongly advised people to not go to the pub (but not actually order them to close) like this clown-car response then that would have magically happened all on its own.

I for one think that someone employed as an editor of The Lancet has got a sufficient grasp of current events, World Health Organisation advisories as well as scientific research methods and conclusions to criticise the UK Government and its gormless response.

I've seen a few medics pass inaccurate comments on Covid-19. Doctors are experts at treating patients. Epidemiologists are experts at how a disease moves through a population and how to tackle it. Doctors understand medicine. Epidemiologists understand statistics, virology, behavioural science, social history and logistics. 

The same 'great understanding' that said having 60k people at an Old Firm game was okay last Sunday but not 24 hours later. One that also said keeping schools open was a great idea in flat contradiction to nearly every other country in Europe (presumably they don't have epidemiologists of their own) until it suddenly wasn't.

If you think that those illogical U turns fall within a standard model of epidemiology then you're quite simply a gullible moron. Those bear all the hallmarks of political decision making, which can and will be criticised by its citizens regardless of your tantrums.

If you can't tell the difference between one science degree and another, you really, really aren't in a position to comment

Pretty sure that the editor of The fucking Lancet understands the difference between different scientific professions champ - yet he'll continue to make evidence-based criticism regardless. It's almost if epidemiology isn't actually up on an untouchable throne, beyond scrutiny by mere mortals (or in this case, a plethora of other scientific experts).

and when you do, you're just adding to the pointless, vacuous racket that's all over social media.

Gie's peace.

If your shrill, Helen Lovejoy mindset can't handle 'pointless vacuous racket' right now then you really shouldn't have clicked on the General Nonsense section of a Scottish football forum in the first place. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

My boss sent me and my colleagues a message this morning asking if we'd be okay coming into the office next week so they can make some money. No mention of it being against the law for us to do so.

Maybe because it's not?

Edited by coprolite
Just seen you might not be in uk. Doh.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

My boss sent me and my colleagues a message this morning asking if we'd be okay coming into the office next week so they can make some money. No mention of it being against the law for us to do so.

If he can arrange a lorry load of dried pasta to be sent over to Glasgow’s leafy west endI think we could all benefit financially...

3 hours ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

That’s us (NZ) shut the border to anyone who isn’t a citizen or permanent resident. I went to the local supermarket today in Auckland and the place was mental. My Saturday football has been canned now too, things are starting to ramp up over here as much as the UK, and I do feel for my gran who lives alone back in Scotland who isn’t going to have any visitors for the foreseeable.

pics?

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The facts that China, Japan, Singapore etc. are already containing the disease rather confirms that it is possible to be contained. As of today there are zero new cases in Hubei, the epicentre of the original outbreak. But yeah - mebbe if they kept all the schools open for weeks and strongly advised people to not go to the pub (but not actually order them to close) like this clown-car response then that would have magically happened all on its own.

I for one think that someone employed as an editor of The Lancet has got a sufficient grasp of current events, World Health Organisation advisories as well as scientific research methods and conclusions to criticise the UK Government and its gormless response.

The same 'great understanding' that said having 60k people at an Old Firm game was okay last Sunday but not 24 hours later. One that also said keeping schools open was a great idea in flat contradiction to nearly every other country in Europe (presumably they don't have epidemiologists of their own) until it suddenly wasn't.

If you think that those illogical U turns fall within a standard model of epidemiology then you're quite simply a gullible moron. Those bear all the hallmarks of political decision making, which can and will be criticised by its citizens regardless of your tantrums.

Pretty sure that the editor of The fucking Lancet understands the difference between different scientific professions champ - yet he'll continue to make evidence-based criticism regardless. It's almost if epidemiology isn't actually up on an untouchable throne, beyond scrutiny by mere mortals (or in this case, a plethora of other scientific experts).

If your shrill, Helen Lovejoy mindset can't handle 'pointless vacuous racket' then you really shouldn't have clicked on the General Nonsense section of a Scottish football forum in the first place. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

This is a fantastic response to someone who said they have you on ignore.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

The facts that China, Japan, Singapore etc. are already containing the disease rather confirms that it is possible to be contained. As of today there are zero new cases in Hubei, the epicentre of the original outbreak. 

Yeah but out of how many tested? This is the thing that frustrated and confuses me most, if you test no one funny enough you get no new cases. It's incredibly easy to massage the figures, no one wants to admit being the worst infected country.

What we need to see is Number of tests vs number of negative/positive results.

Singapore seem to have things under control though....

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/covid-19-number-new-patients-singapore-jumps-high-47-including-33-imported-cases - A new daily record

Edited by red23

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is a fantastic response to someone who said they have you on ignore.

It's all about playing to the gallery. A box office poster like vT gets it. Plus you get notifications when someone you've placed on ignore replies to you anyway.

Just back from shops. Saw polis at roundabout but did't stop us.

Lidl was quieter than usual, even got a big box of fruit and veg on its last legs for a euro. Seems opposite of panic buying here. 

Piles of bog roll.   :)

lidl.jpg

Edited by cyderspaceman

29 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

First day of working at home I had a flurry of emails with work requests, day 3 and it's eerily quiet. Can't imagine what I'll be doing when the kids are sent from school, everyone I'm doing work for has school age kids and has pretty much said they're not going to be doing anything much if they're expected to keep their kids in the house for months.

Our local IT is one of my neighbours. Told me our work are monitoring who regularly goes inactive on Skype 

Work From Home GIF

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Our local IT is one of my neighbours. Told me our work are monitoring who regularly goes inactive on Skype 

Work From Home GIF

We are similar. The times you are logged in on Skype for Business will be compared against hours booked on weekly timesheets.  Also warned about streaming music/movies through the work computer while its sitting in my house

We are similar. The times you are logged in on Skype for Business will be compared against hours booked on weekly timesheets.  Also warned about streaming music/movies through the work computer while its sitting in my house
You must jump through the hoop at all times!

13 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

VT would make some good points if he wasn't such a condescending arsehole.

Can only wonder why someone culpable of a primary school logic failure like the above gets condescended to on a regular basis.

2462B576-7882-4E5F-89A5-7427E74C1142.jpeg.1d68d3d8f55c744dd744ba14d33d2140.jpeg

6 minutes ago, jock_the_squak said:

With the schools being off it's going to be insane.

My wife will likely be redeployed once the schools close. I'll have three kids under 7 to look after as grandparents are either over 65 or NHS staff. Some toll it'll put on folk.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Work From Home GIF

9 minutes ago, jock_the_squak said:

It's starting to sound like oaksoft has a point.