Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Surely h_b's slightly tinfoil hat reason above isn't true? Do we know if they have the tests available? Are they choosing to hold off or have they fucked up the orders /administration?

Possible they missed out on supply contracts while they mulled over his preferred "let it run rampant and get it over" policy. Don't know though.

50 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

So why is Germany doing better than most other major euro countries?

They love organising stuff, pretty good at it too.

But they'll get cocky and start another front, then it'll be panic stations...

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Possible they missed out on supply contracts while they mulled over his preferred "let it run rampant and get it over" policy. Don't know though.

I know that one of the reasons for a delay is that the tests haven’t been proofed properly.  Spain ordered a bunch of them from, I think, China that turned out to be useless.

edit: though a bureaucratic snafu is equally plausible.

Edited by Savage Henry

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The debates from the wings over bath and scotland in union types on twitter over the name of the hospital and the input of the british army into its construction are really really cringey.

I can't believe these people would be wasting their time having an embarrassing and irrelevant discussion.

Testing so far has focussed on patients, though NHS England has told hospitals to use up to 15% of their testing capability on staff, if this is possible.

Mr Hancock has now urged hospitals to go further and test as many staff as they can, with health officials saying laboratories have the capacity to take on more tests.

The government has been repeatedly criticised for having said in recent weeks that testing was a priority, but then not implementing it for frontline NHS workers.

Ministers have announced plans to work with the private sector and universities to scale up testing.

But Mr Gove said at the press briefing that the ability to increase testing capacity was being hampered by the availability of the chemicals needed to test patients.

Higher level of testing.
More ICU beds and staff
They're German.
As far as I'm aware they aren't doing post-death testing though, so if a patient dies before a test confirms Covid-19 then they won't be recorded as a Covid-19 death.

55 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

So why is Germany doing better than most other major euro countries?

Some UK spokesman said it was because they were mainly testing the young, can't remember why that would make a difference in the numbers.

When you read about thousands of tests a day.  Exactly who’s getting these tests?  If I was to come down with symptoms I’d be told stay in etc.  It wouldn’t be right we will rush a test kit out to you.

18 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

People really need to be careful with language here. Is it really full of 20/30/40 yo or are there a couple.

And if it is, what’s to say it’s not people that age with underlying health problems. Too many of these people commenting publicly are forgetting it’s not only the elderly that are vulnerable. 

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I guess by spotting all these things us lesser mortals miss explains why he gets the big bucks.

Not referring to this tweet in particular but It's funny that his twitter persona in general is like a petulant sulky teenager in contrast with the intimidating master of his brief he projects on television. 

Edited by welshbairn

There was a guy on five live yesterday talking about the meetings and conferences governments and departments have now and again about pandemic or emergency situations. He said that almost every government was told they were well short of equipment and resources spent.

He also said that the meetings were kept top secret and whoever made decisions were kept out of blames way. I don’t blame any government really but there should be a system in place that can ramp things up if required.

The UK is woefully underprepared with hardly any manufacturing capability for raw materials and the health service crushed over decades. Just locally banks get bailed out despite acting recklessly and a hospital loses a&e and intensive care.

We really need to reclaim back some manufacturing base and have stocks of emergency equipment, whatever the cost.