Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

People really need to be careful with language here. Is it really full of 20/30/40 yo or are there a couple.

And if it is, what’s to say it’s not people that age with underlying health problems. Too many of these people commenting publicly are forgetting it’s not only the elderly that are vulnerable. 

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I guess by spotting all these things us lesser mortals miss explains why he gets the big bucks.

Not referring to this tweet in particular but It's funny that his twitter persona in general is like a petulant sulky teenager in contrast with the intimidating master of his brief he projects on television. 

Edited by welshbairn

There was a guy on five live yesterday talking about the meetings and conferences governments and departments have now and again about pandemic or emergency situations. He said that almost every government was told they were well short of equipment and resources spent.

He also said that the meetings were kept top secret and whoever made decisions were kept out of blames way. I don’t blame any government really but there should be a system in place that can ramp things up if required.

The UK is woefully underprepared with hardly any manufacturing capability for raw materials and the health service crushed over decades. Just locally banks get bailed out despite acting recklessly and a hospital loses a&e and intensive care.

We really need to reclaim back some manufacturing base and have stocks of emergency equipment, whatever the cost.

26 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They obviously don't want to test the front line NHS workers as them going off sick for two weeks en masse would be a bigger issue than them working with the virus. 

Not testing NHS workers means staff are self isolating for 14 days because of any Corona-like symptoms in their households; rather than the right people staying off for the right amount of time. Widespread NHS staff testing would obviously reduce overall absences, compared to having some people off unnecessarily and others coming in and unknowingly infecting colleagues left and right.

As with most things, the possibility that someone has made a bit of an arse of it is more plausible than some wacky theory that isn't even logical to begin with.

Anybody work in the courts? I have this, what seems absolutely trivial, speeding ticket I need to pay.

I've put it off then forgotten about it and don't have a chequebook to send a cheque. Am I going to get my knuckles rapped further if I'm a few days late with paying the fine?

3 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Anybody work in the courts? I have this, what seems absolutely trivial, speeding ticket I need to pay.

I've put it off then forgotten about it and don't have a chequebook to send a cheque. Am I going to get my knuckles rapped further if I'm a few days late with paying the fine?

Don't work in the courts but you've already accepted it and sent off the NIC or whatever it's called you should be OK. If you've got a Post Office nearby you could always get a postal order (had to google to check if they're still a thing!).

If anyone thought for a millisecond that this event would lead to a reassessment of our priorities as a nation and a dramatic uplift in wages of those we now know to be truly essential...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/31/uk-minimum-wage-rise-of-6-to-go-ahead-despite-coronavirus-pay-freeze-call?CMP=share_btn_tw
Any long term shift in ideology certainly won't come from the government, or the establishment in general.

It'll have to be a change in the public mood regarding these things. The magic money tree, and greater state involvement might just shift leftwards (after the war sobering similar happened, and brought about a huge change in societies).