Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Can't believe this is the only post calling that comment out. It is by far the creepiest comment I've ever read on here and that takes some doing. 

Have you never watched Twins of Evil?

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Here's a link to the actual study on school closures rather than the BBC article

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(20)30095-X/fulltext

Cheers.

A lot of the assumptions made there don't really make sense to me. The idea that it would only have a 2-4% impact is based on a paper that says if you closed the schools, families with children would see a substantial (25%) increase in other social contact time in community. Since we've been locked down and the only outdoor activities allowed are things we'd have been doing anyway (shopping, walks in the park etc), I don't really see how that's realistic. They also seem to directly contradict the conclusions of some of the papers that they cite as supporting evidence.

The idea that you could do social distancing in schools effectively is completely mad anyway. I reckon I could fit about 6 of my class of 30 in my classroom if I had to keep them all 2 metres apart. That's before you get onto practicalities like dropping-off time, home time and the health and safety of staff.

TLDR: After a fortnight of social distancing, academics with kids have already had enough of home-schooling and are desperately trying to fob off their offspring onto someone else.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Funnily enough, I've seen people out running and walking recently who I've never seen in my life before. They apparently DO live in my avenue but it seems that they're now wanting to go out because they can't where before they didn't want to because they could.

Human nature, you couldn't write it.

Alternatively these are people who would normally use a gym/play a sport, who now don't have that option so are doing what they can.

Can't believe this is the only post calling that comment out. It is by far the creepiest comment I've ever read on here and that takes some doing. 

He’ll probably now restrain from posting “if they were mine I’d still be bathing them”.

4 minutes ago, Iminavest said:

Alternatively these are people who would normally use a gym/play a sport, who now don't have that option so are doing what they can.

Trust me, they wouldn't, unless you'd count Darts of course.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Apparently our council are sending out food parcels. We're on the list.

Just been delivered - a fry pack, a packet of soda bread, tea bags, sugar, coffee, a jar of jam, tin of custard, tin of beans, tin of peas, tin of chicken soup, 4 sachets of breakfast cereal.

More than happy with that.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Just been delivered - a fry pack, a packet of soda bread, tea bags, sugar, coffee, a jar of jam, tin of custard, tin of beans, tin of peas, tin of chicken soup, 4 sachets of breakfast cereal.

What are you having tomorrow?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

That sounds like what would been delivered if the Broons had ordered a Tesco home delivery from the But ‘n Ben.

4 minutes ago, The DA said:

I assumed 'sprightly' meant younger, not youngest.

Siblings stop having baths together and fighting over soap at about 5 years old so of all the sexual imagery to throw up, I thought that was a bit of a noncey route to go down tbqhwy. 

I'll leave it at that. 

42 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Funnily enough, I've seen people out running and walking recently who I've never seen in my life before. They apparently DO live in my avenue but it seems that they're now wanting to go out because they can't where before they didn't want to because they could.

Human nature, you couldn't write it.

I'm pretty sure the 'one bit of exercise a day' instruction exists to get people into a habit of exercising, whilst they don't have anything else to do. And the hope is they'll continue with it after the lockdown ends.

Now that public health experts are at the top of the food chain, basically telling the government what to do, they've probably asked government to do it as they know they'll do anything they tell them. 

As long as folk are social distancing, I don't really understand what the problem is with it. 

9 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That sounds like what would been delivered if the Broons had ordered a Tesco home delivery from the But ‘n Ben.

You'd need to multiply that by around 10 for the Broons, Daphne would munch that herself..

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Siblings stop having baths together and fighting over soap at about 5 years old so of all the sexual imagery to throw up, I thought that was a bit of a noncey route to go down tbqhwy. 

I'll leave it at that. 

Fair enough.  It's not where my dirty mind landed but there you go.

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No milk?