Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

All the data now show's a clear correlation between age and the likelihood of dying from Covid-19, and also those who have underlying health conditions. There's enough data out there now to see that pattern.

Beyond the next few weeks, there really is little need to keep young, healthy people locked down indefinitely.

I wonder how many people may have died because of Covid acting with an undetected underlying health conditions?

Plenty of people can have issues that have not been diagnosed yet. There is a risk in relying too much on assuming you are a healthy person.

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I wonder how many people may have died because of undetected underlying health conditions?

That sentence is just as valid.

There are risks in every day life. It's not possible to mitigate them all whilst functioning as a society.

Once deaths are almost into single figures daily in Scotland over a period of time we have to look at trying to take steps to getting back to normal.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

The UK death figures can’t really be compared to France or Belgium as they don’t include care home or community deaths. If they did, we’d certainly ‘overtake’ France but probably not Belgium, where the smaller population helps things look extreme. Andorra and San Marino are micro-state anomalies, so suddenly you’re left with Spain and Italy - as you correctly identify we’re a few weeks behind both so let’s see where we land. I’m not sure if their figures include care homes or not to be honest and can’t find anything to confirm either way - if they do, we’re already worse.

On cases per population there are far too many variations around testing numbers for it to be much more than a rough guide, Spain and Italy for example have tested about three times as many people as we have per million. We’d land higher than both if the ratio of test to positive case was maintained.

In terms of ‘normality’ and why I think we’ll be slower than most countries for something like sport, my biggest concern would be testing. Players and coaches are not immune and will need to be tested regularly, and we don’t seem to have the ability to even test those who need it regularly. Contact tracing needs to effectively start from scratch and there’s limited to no sign of that starting right now. And that’s before we get into the stories breaking today of how reliable our testing actually is, away from the major centres which will be almost useless when it comes to community testing and already are for care homes.

Having said all that, 14-17 weeks is the start of August... for closed door football, you could well be right. Maybe, maybe not. All depends how things go with the baby steps of reopening!

Death per million is not a good wya to track a pandemic. It means San Marino and Andorra are the most dangerous places in the world

This is a good thread explaining why, and showing that if such comparisons have to be used, death per (fraction of population) is much better. 

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

IMG_20200421_110947.thumb.jpg.cd27e7b6d10cf06ce63266cbb8951c15.jpg

I prefer not to speak - if I speak I am in big trouble!

What people like you seem incapable of grasping is that it is impossible to continue as now indefinitely.

There is a difference between goons in America protesting against restrictions in the present, and those capable of level headed thought discussing things that could happen weeks from now should things continue to improve as they have here and elsewhere.