Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I was replying to the specific poster rather than commenting on the cross border Government action. He was asking for positive news as he's getting a bit fed up. I'd rather we kept a bit of restraint in the reporting.
I think it should be remembered that the "positive" spins coming out the English media and press briefings are more than likely the manifestation of immense pressure from business groups etc attempting to look after their self interests and trying to get Boris the puppet back in line.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

The app was mentioned yesterday at length by Nicola Sturgeon. Literal words out of her mouth:

“The development of this app is being led by the UK government and we are seeking to maximise Scottish Government involvement in it. We believe it could be a very important part of a TTI system - but as an enhancement. It is important to be clear that in Scotland we are not building our whole system around that.”

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19/

Didn’t fawn over it in the same way as Hancock but it was spoken about at length.

I think the fawning element is what I'm getting at. Just my opinion, but a bit of fawning from NS might not be a bad thing

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was replying to the specific poster rather than commenting on the cross border Government action. He was asking for positive news as he's getting a bit fed up. I'd rather we kept a bit of restraint in the reporting.

Yes, I realise that. I was just speculating as to what the SG press conferences would be like if they were realistic.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A lot of talk about Formula One coming back on sky sports.

Why is that relevant you may ask?

Well it's a good indicator of my desperation for live sport that I am sat here thinking "yeah that will be good il watch that".

Rock bottom found, upwards.

If they get rid of the cockpits and throw a saddle over 'em I'll be dusting down my bookies account.

34 minutes ago, Snafu said:

. Did it never occur to Todd the God to back up his initial claim with more creditable evidence it would have saved him all that effort he put in last night.

He did mention it, as it happens. Don't think the French doctor has had his workings verified yet though.

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A lot of talk about Formula One coming back on sky sports.

Why is that relevant you may ask?

Well it's a good indicator of my desperation for live sport that I am sat here thinking "yeah that will be good il watch that".

Rock bottom found, upwards.

Get yourself this, and save the subscription:

81SNyL2HS5L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.203d1afe13d68b2427862621888d7f9a.jpg

17 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

If they get rid of the cockpits and throw a saddle over 'em I'll be dusting down my bookies account.

French racing restarting next Monday, apparently. Behind closed doors, of course.

39 minutes ago, Snafu said:

BREAKING NEWS - France's first COVID-19 case might have been in December - One month earlier than previously thought.

Yep information we were given at the time ???

Forgive me in case i missed something in your mess of a post you clearly typed in an excited rush, but how is posting an article published in a newspaper yesterday "information we were given at the time"?

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I was sure earlier in the thread we had established that Coronavirus originated in Angus in November or have I missed something?

tbsouth ate an infected owl in Forfar in November and it all started from there. 

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Verified by who? How much more verification does the positive test need?

Positive is positive, no different from a positive result from current everyday testing.

You can get false positives and contamination. French doctors have form for this kind of thing, see ibuprofen and hydroxychloroquine. Wouldn't surprise me if Trump got his brilliant ideas about injecting bleach and sunlight from some French quack.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Bundesliga set to return on May 15th

But we absolutely, definitely, cannot play behind closed doors in over three months time.

It's definitely possible but Germany are in much much better shape than us cases/deaths wiae, and are fully set up to test trace isolate while we're just picking at the edges atm. So the idea that because one country can do it then we should be able to do it too doesn't really work. 

People seem to be looking round Europe at stuff easing and thinking well we should do that too, without even considering all the other variables that make us look like a fucking basket case. 

3 months might be doable, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. Depends how much we get a handle on any potential second wave. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

You need to look back at when the first known cases of the virus appearing in both in Wutan and in this country and now we know there is a possibility that this is inaccurate, yet it was correct back then as we didn't have any information or data that suggested otherwise.

Does that help?

No, not really. I'm aware of when the first cases were reported.

Did you actually read any of what I said?

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

It's definitely possible but Germany are in much much better shape than us cases/deaths wiae, and are fully set up to test trace isolate while we're just picking at the edges atm. So the idea that because one country can do it then we should be able to do it too doesn't really work. 

People seem to be looking round Europe at stuff easing and thinking well we should do that too, without even considering all the other variables that make us look like a fucking basket case. 

3 months might be doable, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. Depends how much we get a handle on any potential second wave. 

Football aside, if we can't set up to fully test, trace and isolate by the start of August that says much more about the government than anything else.

Guest JTS98
21 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Get yourself this, and save the subscription intense boredom:

Happy to help.

Verified by who? How much more verification does the positive test need?
Positive is positive, no different from a positive result from current everyday testing.

It could be lies. The test could be wrong. The sample may have been inadvertently contaminated by someone who actually did have Covid-19. The sample may have been deliberately contaminated by someone with an agenda.

What really needs to happen is the sample is tested and retested to be sure, contact tracing on the individual concerned needs to be carried out to see if the people he had close contact with have antibodies as they should, and globally a large project needs to take place to test samples from late 2019 to see if anybody else has them.

It isn’t as simple as some French boy saying he’s done the test and seen a positive result so the entirety of the world’s health and scientific experts are wrong. But then it doesn’t take a genius to figure that out, and this story is being deliberately amplified by idiots like the Professor for right-wing propaganda Karol on social media to pressure the government to end lockdown. There are dozens of hurdles to clear before this can be even considered as reality.