Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Because a disproportionate number of people with coronavirus are in care homes or hospitals

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Certainly the most severe cases are in those places, and the demographic in those places is more susceptible to serious infections, but it doesn't mean that they are any more or less likely to be infected.

I'm fairly certain that if you filled an empty care home with people in their 20s, infected someone with the virus and had the inhabitants mirror movement and activity of a normal care home then there would be very few, if any, deaths but the overall percentage of residents who became infected with the virus would be similar.

Prepared for some source to correct me but my understanding is in all the schools and nurseries open for babysitting duty at the moment in Scotland
There have been zero reported positive cases amongst the kids in attendance.

11 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Fear will only be temporary if we don't see a move towards exponential infection rates again once the 2-3 weeks are up imo

If you look at others who have eased restrictions, none have observed this.

Newspapers were quick to state germany had seen cases triple (which it hasn't), but have yet to acknowledge that this was untrue.

Schools are open in Denmark, and the distance has reduced to 1m. Cases continue to fall.

Fear will subside once media reporting accurately covers the whole picture.

3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Prepared for some source to correct me but my understanding is in all the schools and nurseries open for babysitting duty at the moment in Scotland

Have they tested any of the kids?

Well it appears people, and shop security staff, have completely abandoned the “one per household” rule at my local Sainsbury’s. Standing in the queue (which is massive because of these wankers) with I’d say at least 30-40% of others in the queue standing in couples. How a grown man/woman genuinely can’t seem to be capable of shopping alone is one of the most pathetic things I’ve discovered during this. I’ll now be waiting for significantly longer than necessary if these children had just shown up alone.

c***s.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Well it appears people, and shop security staff, have completely abandoned the “one per household” rule at my local Sainsbury’s. Standing in the queue (which is massive because of these wankers) with I’d say at least 30-40% of others in the queue standing in couples. How a grown man/woman genuinely can’t seem to be capable of shopping alone is one of the most pathetic things I’ve discovered during this. I’ll now be waiting for significantly longer than necessary if these children had just shown up alone.

c***s.

I thought it was more one trolley per person ?? I go with the wife, we shop for 5 different households 

Just council ones at very prohibitive hours, wasnt any point in us using the local nursery as the opening hours are actually pretty crap for key workers who are based in other local authorities.

1 minute ago, heedthebaa said:

I thought it was more one trolley per person ?? I go with the wife, we shop for 5 different households 

It was 1 person per household everywhere I’ve shopped for the last 6-8 weeks I’d say. Seems to be out the window now.

If you are doing shopping for 5 households then due to pure volume of items it’s probably necessary to have 2 of you, but there is definitely a large proportion of people here who seem incapable of doing anything without their husband/wife. Ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Does anyone do that, more than one trolley I mean? If I needed that much I'd do 2 circuits.

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Certainly the most severe cases are in those places, and the demographic in those places is more susceptible to serious infections, but it doesn't mean that they are any more or less likely to be infected.

I'm fairly certain that if you filled an empty care home with people in their 20s, infected someone with the virus and had the inhabitants mirror movement and activity of a normal care home then there would be very few, if any, deaths but the overall percentage of residents who became infected with the virus would be similar.

Say there a 1 in 10 chance that you will end up in hospital with covid, it's probably something like that.  Unlesd you have a similar base rate chance of being hospitalised the proportion of the hospital population with covid will be higher than the population outside. 

Not because you're more likely to get it in hospital but because you're more likely to be in hospital if you've got it. If the over 65s make up roughly 1/4 of the population and 80% of admissions, they could be 4 times likelier to have covid at any given time and still not be any likelier than a 19 year old to have it while in the private residence population. 

Your last paragraph may well be right but it isn't demonstrated by the report you quoted. 

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Say there a 1 in 10 chance that you will end up in hospital with covid, it's probably something like that.  Unlesd you have a similar base rate chance of being hospitalised the proportion of the hospital population with covid will be higher than the population outside. 

Not because you're more likely to get it in hospital but because you're more likely to be in hospital if you've got it. If the over 65s make up roughly 1/4 of the population and 80% of admissions, they could be 4 times likelier to have covid at any given time and still not be any likelier than a 19 year old to have it while in the private residence population. 

Your last paragraph may well be right but it isn't demonstrated by the report you quoted. 

I don't think I disagree with what you are saying, but I also don't think it's particularly relevant to the point I was making.

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

c***s.

My typical shopping excursion pre-Covid-19 was......

Drive 10 miles to nearest significant town.   Into Waitrose for some special things that I like,

walk 100 yds to Asda to buy low priced commodity stuff,

drive a mile to Lidl for some things that I preferred, ... etc.

Substiute Sainsbury, or Morrisons for Asda/Lidl on occasion.

At the beginning of the lockdown I decided to just use Waitrose.  It's cost me much more the last number of weeks,

but the 2 metres apart markers are there outside the store, people stand at the markers, keep their distance, staff disinfect the trolleys/baskets as you

pick one up,  one person in as one person leaves policy.

I feel safe using the place.    I reckoned that discipline would break down at some of the other stores.

Drive 10 miles to nearest significant town.   Into Waitrose for some special things that I like,
At the beginning of the lockdown I decided to just use Waitrose.  It's cost me much more the last number of weeks,
but the 2 metres apart markers are there outside the store, people stand at the markers, keep their distance, staff disinfect the trolleys/baskets as you
I feel safe using the place.    I reckoned that discipline would break down at some of the other stores.
What you describe is what Tesco have been doing for weeks now

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
25 minutes ago, beefybake said:

What you describe is what Tesco have been doing for weeks now

Yes, Aldi too.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about this accusation from GD considering:

1 - His idea of right wing = anyone who didn’t wish Boris Johnson dead when he had Corona.  

&

2 - He started drinking at around 11 o clock this morning and will be drenched in his own urine by now. 

The_Kincardine will need to look to his laurels, then...

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

c***s.

B&Q need to fucking wise-up and sort this pish out!

Controlling the amount of people in the store is fine and well, but not when every second place in the line to enter B&Q is taken by a couple who will then, like every other couple, spend 2 hours browsing the entire b*****d store to then leave with a pack of rawl plugs or a single fucking paintbrush! 

IMO, couples should either:

A - Be denied entry to the store together. (The right thing to do) 

OR

B - Be made to shop using the self scan devices which are set with a 15 minute timer that voids their intended purchases if they’re not through the checkout within the allocated timeframe. Just incase that seems unreasonable, after 10 minutes I’d have the self scan device set to beep and display a message saying: 
5 minutes to get your shit and GTF!

B&Q need to fucking wise-up and sort this pish out!
Controlling the amount of people in the store is fine and well, but not when every second place in the line to enter B&Q is taken by a couple who will then, like every other couple, spend 2 hours browsing the entire b*****d store to then leave with a pack of rawl plugs or a single fucking paintbrush! 
IMO, couples should either:
A - Be denied entry to the store together. (The right thing to do) 
OR
B - Be made to shop using the self scan devices which are set with a 15 minute timer that voids their intended purchases if they’re not through the checkout within the allocated timeframe. Just incase that seems unreasonable, after 10 minutes I’d have the self scan device set to beep and display a message saying: 
5 minutes to get your shit and GTF!
There really should, at this point, be no one going to a shop without a clear idea of what it is they are going to buy and how to find it rapidly and get out. That said, I pissed away about 9 or 10 unnecessary minutes in Morrisons yesterday as I had mistimed my landing run on the beer aisle for 10am