Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

64% of secondary pupils are working less than three hours a day

I'm a bit surprised by that. The minor subject teachers at my daughters school are often setting work that takes way longer than the time allocated in the timetable (i.e. one period a week). 

Edited by bendan

4 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Thanks welshbairn that picture is worth a thousand words.

But look at welshbairns picture above.

The bairn at the bottom is 'upside doon'

Why does that no happen in reality?

And that is all I'm asking.

Have you looked at where Scotland is in to relation to England on a map?

The reason Hadrian’s Wall was built was to stop the Scots falling on top of the English.

Spoiler

Cue some clever c**t pointing out there were no Scots or English at the time.

9 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Thanks welshbairn that picture is worth a thousand words.

It does happen in reality. As Gaz says, you’re either trolling here or are being incredibly dense.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No you’ve given an opinion based on your interpretation of limited data.  Not the best way to address the most serious crisis in my lifetime.

The only positive thing is that your opinion will not influence public policy in Scotland.  Neither will mine but I’m OK with that.

Fucking hell. The best way to show you're not being childish generally isn't to throw your toys out the pram.

Of course neither of our opinions are going to influence anything.

When limited data is all you have, then basing your opinion on limited data is a hell of a lot better than basing it on nothing.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Fucking hell. The best way to show you're not being childish generally isn't to throw your toys out the pram.

Of course neither of our opinions are going to influence anything.

When limited data is all you have, then basing your opinion on limited data is a hell of a lot better than basing it on nothing.

The only one name calling in this exchange is you yet you accuse me of being childish.  Mmmm...

I’m those who are determining policy in Scotland are analysing the limited data to the best of their ability and coming up with a strategy.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m those who are determining policy in Scotland are analysing the limited data to the best of their ability and coming up with a strategy.

I'm sure they are as well. It doesn't mean they'll get it right or that it's not worth thinking about for those not directly involved.

For a long time, there's been this false dichotomy between saving the economy and saving lives. It's a ludicrously simplistic way to view something as complicated as this. My worry is that we'll just continue taking an overly simplistic approach to appease those who'll basically howl murder at anything that isn't as full a lockdown as possible at all times. 

And by doing that, ironically, more people will probably die.

Edited by Gordon EF

3 hours ago, bendan said:

The schools will open (in England), loads of kids will be absent, but probably most kids back after summer holidays.

Schools aren't going to open until teachers feel safe enough to go back. Everything else is just bluster

25 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Willie, all you have to do is stand on your head or bend over and look at the picture through your legs, and it will all become clear, like it did for Archimedes with his eureka moment in the bathtub. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm sure they are as well. It doesn't mean they'll get it right or that it's not worth thinking about for those not directly involved.

For a long time, there's been this false dichotomy between saving the economy and saving lives. It's a ludicrously simplistic way to view something as complicated as this. My worry is that we'll just continue taking an overly simplistic approach to appease those who'll basically howl murder at anything that isn't as full a lockdown as possible at all times.

I think most of us agree there’s a balance to strike.  If I was someone like a teacher I’d be erring on the side of caution.

As someone who A owns a business, B sees his business losing more money every week we are in lockdown, C has a concern about the type of market I’m going back to when this is over, and D has a duty of care to those who work for and with me, I’m also erring on the side of caution.

20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

You're at it.

see below

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It does happen in reality. As Gaz says, you’re either trolling here or are being incredibly dense.

In the words o' somebody - aye, right.

Perhaps you (or Gaz) can answer my question in very simple terms so that a dunce like me could understand.

What you numpties dinnae see is that for the past couple of hours you've been hovering over your computer making fun of me.

If I hadnae posted then you lot would probably be ootside clapping and howling at the moon

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Willie, all you have to do is stand on your head or bend over and look at the picture through your legs, and it will all become clear, like it did for Archimedes with his eureka moment in the bathtub. 

ffs #welshbairn I'm 77 and a wee fat bassa and you want me tae stand oan my heid.

Can I no just turn the picture upside doon?

8 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

ffs #welshbairn I'm 77 and a wee fat bassa and you want me tae stand oan my heid.

Can I no just turn the picture upside doon?

Bit dangerous as you can never be sure that it's not your room you're turning upside down instead of your screen.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think most of us agree there’s a balance to strike.  If I was someone like a teacher I’d be erring on the side of caution.

As someone who A owns a business, B sees his business losing more money every week we are in lockdown, C has a concern about the type of market I’m going back to when this is over, and D has a duty of care to those who work for and with me, I’m also erring on the side of caution.

I totally get that. I think erring on the side of caution is a sensible way to go about this.

Humans are naturally cautious though. We're extremely good at spotting and responding to obvious threats but we're actually generally pretty shit at responding to non-obvious ones. There are lots of examples in lots of scenarios where the approach that 'feels' the most cautious is actually the far riskier approach and humans have a tendency to fall into the trap of opting for the approach that feels the safest in the short term (sticking put in a burning building, not opening the car door when the car falls into a body of water). 

I'd just be really disappointed if all these types of options weren't being discussed and evaluated. And honestly I don't trust the British public to be able to handle an honest and frank discussion about the options. i doubt many politicians genuinely do either.

This is the real grown up conversation that needs to be had and i have to say looking at my social media a lot if well educated people don’t seem to grasp it. Health and the economy are not 2 separate entities with no effect on one another, they are very much co -dependant and shutting down entire countries has enormous consequences and not just “ less dead people “ absolute pish these c***s spout

Go to any poorer country, not just desperately poor african nations but any non first world country wnd youl hear of people dying of fairly common conditions that would be routinely treated in the west but are not in the reach of any tom dick or harrys budget elsewhere, or even a fairly typical healthy man of about 55, who you would find to have similar health , mobility and dental issues of someone twenty years older than him in the uk or Europe.

Where do you think that comes from? Slcwn we provide all that and keep people on furlough and house arrest for 18 months? Thats not to mention obesity diabetes mental health, loss of education time, lack of work experience etc etc .
Also people are entitled to a life and not just an existence, we also cant write off the next 2 decades either. for those internet warriors who say “ go on then pick a member of your family to die in order to get your life back “ well it doesn’t work like that and you know it doesn’t so away n fling shite at the moon!

16 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

see below

In the words o' somebody - aye, right.

Perhaps you (or Gaz) can answer my question in very simple terms so that a dunce like me could understand.

What you numpties dinnae see is that for the past couple of hours you've been hovering over your computer making fun of me.

If I hadnae posted then you lot would probably be ootside clapping and howling at the moon

Welshbairn kindly posted a very easy to understand explanation designed to teach young kids, that answered your question. If you’re still refusing to accept it, then everyone should just give up.

6 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

My worry is that we'll just continue taking an overly simplistic approach to appease those who'll basically howl murder at anything that isn't as full a lockdown as possible at all times. 

This is the real grown up conversation that needs to be had and i have to say looking at my social media a lot if well educated people don’t seem to grasp it.

The problem the government have is they have spent so long being dishonest throughout the last 10 weeks that if they started now to have a proper adult conversation people would think they were still underplaying it. There is no trust.