Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Maybe different depending on authority. Ours has only been open once, for teachers to collect materials, and even then the staff had to book in and be given a slot. Shut the rest of the time apart from the cleaning and janitorial staff.

Definitely, I know the staff aren't in my daughters school that much but it is open for them if they need anything for setting the online lessons.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It seems the Tories mantra of “we have to get the economy back on track” is rubbing off.

Hopefully workers in both the private and public sectors will demand more than the traditional ‘profits before people’ approach.

I don't think many of us need to worry about our employers making a profit for a while.

8 minutes ago, Paco said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/coronavirus-scotland-despite-8500-people-22039844.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Is this true then? Hard to see a way out of lockdown for us until the contact tracers are there. The much maligned Westminster government has 17,000 hired, apparently.

I think we only started the process last week. Not sure why you would have been waiting - it's a bit like they were 'waiting for the right moment' to start the lockdown in mid March.

The big story in mail today is Starmer bought a field for donkeys for his mother

Labour leader has enough money to buy land but wastes it being kind.

State of the media in this fucking country

19 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
21 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

No. He's standing on his feet. There is no absolute direction "down". Down is locally towards the centre of the earth.

Fair do's

19 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Get a ball an tape two figures to opposite sides then stand back and look at it. Both figures would 'feel' like they were standing upright themselves. For you, as the space observer, whether one was 'upright', 'sideways' or 'upside down' would depend entirely on how you were looking at the ball. Turn it one way and the Scottish figure would be upright and the Aussie would be upside down. Turn the ball round and it would change. 

Upright and upside down and totally relative terms and only make sense when you're talking about your specific orientation with respect to your point of reference (in this case, the earth). If you're not on Earth, you'd see those terms don't really have much meaning.

I dinnae understand that. If you and I were on a spaceship and we were far enough away that we could see Earth in its entirely we could surely agree that the top is north and the bottom is south.  You focus your camera on the north and you see a guy waving. I focus my camera on the south and there's a guy waving. Are they both standing normally. If so, why?

13 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
18 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

Are you aware that the original blue marble image taken from Apollo 17 had the south at the "top" of the frame?

No

12 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

British people are fat and stupid and far too willing to take Government's boaby of lies IMO.

I'm Scottish and fat and according to some on here I'm also stupid where do I fit in?

22 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I dinnae understand that. If you and I were on a spaceship and we were far enough away that we could see Earth in its entirely we could surely agree that the top is north and the bottom is south. 

Absolutely not. It's extremely unlikely that's the view we'd have of it.

Here's a question, why do you think we think of north as top and south as bottom. What if we thought of West as top, north as right, east as bottom and south as left?

It's completely random. We could quite as easily have though that south was top, and drawn our maps the other way around. It would be just as valid a thing to do. Everything would work the same way it does now but you'd be convinced that south was top for some reason.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Simmer down. 

You do realise this is Sunday? I would fart in your general direction but I have a quiz to prepare for. Spoiler alert, unless @Jacksgranda is participating, I will finish last. Nobody tell @SlipperyP as he might Sevco me for betting irregularities.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Here's a question, why do you think we think of north as top and south as bottom. What if we thought of West as top, north as right, east as bottom and south as left?

It's completely random. We could quite as easily have though that south was top, and drawn our maps the other way around. It would be just as valid a thing to do. Everything would work the same way it does now but you'd be convinced that south was top for some reason.

That's like totally Zen dude. Nonetheless in that context you are 100% correct. Compare an 1850 map of the African Continent to what we know as fact now & it is mind boggling.

38 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I dinnae understand that. If you and I were on a spaceship and we were far enough away that we could see Earth in its entirely we could surely agree that the top is north and the bottom is south.  You focus your camera on the north and you see a guy waving. I focus my camera on the south and there's a guy waving. Are they both standing normally. If so, why?

Well the converse of what you're saying is that if you are looking back at Earth, like Mr Moon here, the orientation in which you appear in the sky to the guy waving depends where he is standing...

Seeing+the+moon+from+different+places+on

Edited by Lurkst

Why would anyone make comparisons to other disasters? Particularly those ones?
I think it's good to step back and get perspective every now and then (something wee willie in particular is struggling with right now) .
I'm Scottish and fat and according to some on here I'm also stupid where do I fit in?
[emoji15]
West Wing reference?

That episode where cj meets the mapmakers is one of my favourite scenes. It's from a great big block of cheese episode - and it blew my mind when i first watched it.

I'm try and get a link for willie.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It seems the Tories mantra of “we have to get the economy back on track” is rubbing off.

Hopefully workers in both the private and public sectors will demand more than the traditional ‘profits before people’ approach.

Have you got any kind of response that isn't just flippant childishness?

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

That episode where cj meets the mapmakers is one of my favourite scenes. It's from a great big block of cheese episode - and it blew my mind when i first watched it.

I'm try and get a link for willie.

Ha, yes. That bit always stuck in my mind for some reason. It's a good example of how some assumptions you hold to be true can easily be proved as bullshit.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is fucking surreal from Wee Willie. 

explain por favor?

20 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Leave him alone, whatever it takes to get through this shit especially if you are in lockdown like he is.

gracias mi amigo. This is my eighth or ninth week but I cannae remember.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

But that's irrelevant. My point is that the opposite of west is east and the opposite of top is bottom.

You haven't answered my question that if someone is top of the world and another guy is bottom of the world why is the guy who's bottom no upside doon?

Just now, Wee Willie said:

You haven't answered my question that if someone is top of the world and another guy is bottom of the world why is the guy who's bottom no upside doon?

He is.... relative to the guy at the top of the world's frame of reference. He's not... relative to his own frame of reference.