Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, marty_j said:

Yet on a day when Covid-19 death toll in the UK alone was more than eleven 7/7s, more than six Hillsboroughs, four-and-a-half Aberfans, three Herald of Free Enterprises, 12 Marchioness's, twenty Kings Cross fires

I think most people just aren't going to see it in those terms- partly because it's a disease and partly because it's affecting mostly the very old and sick. If children were dying in large numbers the response would be very different.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

It might end up being delayed a little and teaching unions will bleat about it but schools will open.

Parents wanting to get back to work will demand it.

The schools will open (in England), loads of kids will be absent, but probably most kids back after summer holidays.

Plan being circulated to open schools in Scotland on August 11th, a week ahead of the end of scheduled summer holidays. 

My guess is that if that happens it would be mainly for staff to get in and prep for the ‘new normal’ and possibly to assist in transition between P7 and S1 for those young people.

Think most teachers would like some time in school before the kids come back, to prep the actual classrooms etc, given that most school buildings have been completely shut to staff about two months now. Our hub is a primary school building but I think most school sites have been out of bounds.

11 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Think most teachers would like some time in school before the kids come back, to prep the actual classrooms etc, given that most school buildings have been completely shut to staff about two months now. Our hub is a primary school building but I think most school sites have been out of bounds.

Couldn't that be done (safely)  in June?

Depends on the council, but some schools have been open. I've been into mine a couple of times to do the odd job, gather resources etc. Teachers could quite easily be in school and socially distance once restrictions are eased.

My concern is the number of meetings that management will insist on having in that time, that ultimately are just a waste of time.

Possibly. I assumed that we would be asked to go back in June for a week but that hasn’t been talked about yet. Much depends on where each authority is in terms of cleaning schools and ensuring that they have put in appropriate measures. Don’t know where Dundee is with that.

My guess is that if that happens it would be mainly for staff to get in and prep for the ‘new normal’ and possibly to assist in transition between P7 and S1 for those young people.

All the schools are open around where I live for staff to go in, although only the hub has any pupils attending.

All the schools are open around where I live for staff to go in, although only the hub has any pupils attending.

Maybe different depending on authority. Ours has only been open once, for teachers to collect materials, and even then the staff had to book in and be given a slot. Shut the rest of the time apart from the cleaning and janitorial staff.

It seems the Tories mantra of “we have to get the economy back on track” is rubbing off.

Hopefully workers in both the private and public sectors will demand more than the traditional ‘profits before people’ approach.