Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Here we go!

More stupid.

UK bulk buys hydroxychloroquine as potential Covid-19 treatment

Drug taken by Trump being acquired in case it proves effective against coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/19/uk-to-test-hydroxychloroqine-as-coronavirus-treatment

Trump told a White House press conference: “I’m taking it for about a week and a half now and I’m still here, I’m still here.”

The World Health Organization has said it is concerned by reports of individuals self-medicating and causing themselves serious harm.

The U.K. government is spending £35m in case it turns out this unproven drug actually work?????

That’s batshit mental.

This is on cancer research website. 
20200519_215336.thumb.jpg.24e656ab63c5825952918399b9d97f13.jpg
Thats pretty sickening
I read that as "drug companies are using their resources to find a vaccine for coronavirus and/or to treat those who have it" rather than "this cancer charity is spending money to fight coronavirus rather than on cancer trials", no?

28 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Here we go!

More stupid.

UK bulk buys hydroxychloroquine as potential Covid-19 treatment

Drug taken by Trump being acquired in case it proves effective against coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/19/uk-to-test-hydroxychloroqine-as-coronavirus-treatment

Trump told a White House press conference: “I’m taking it for about a week and a half now and I’m still here, I’m still here.”

The World Health Organization has said it is concerned by reports of individuals self-medicating and causing themselves serious harm.

Anyone got Boris's number? I've got some magic beans that don't cure coronavirus either.

22 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see a good number of English councils are defying the Primary school reopening plan by the government for June 1st.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/19/up-to-1500-english-primary-schools-to-defy-1-june-reopening-plan

There just isn't enough confidence in the government that they are doing the right thing and many still believe its far to early. The people are just too afraid right now.

Caught a cracking interview with a hyperactive primary Headteacher on the BBC news this morning who was obviously stressed oot her nut, stating that it’s absolute madness. She’s had f**k all guidance apart from being drip fed useless govt documents and that schools don’t have the capacity to deal with physical social distancing anyway.  Cut to a parent on the next classroom who said she won’t be sending her kids to school on 1 June, much to the disgust of the BBC interviewer who had donned a lovely bright school bag and skipped into the classroom earlier to show how the children will be so happy to be back.

A fucking shambolic minter of a shitshow from top to bottom.

48 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I read that as "drug companies are using their resources to find a vaccine for coronavirus and/or to treat those who have it" rather than "this cancer charity is spending money to fight coronavirus rather than on cancer trials", no?

I thought that too and in part that's probably true but a scientist who works for cancer research posted on twitter a couple weeks or so ago that he and his colleagues were now working on Coronavirus research on behalf of cancer research UK.

It's good that the councils are signalling that they'll ignore the government. Too many councils (especially Labour ones) have been happy to preside over Tory cuts and general shite from central government and I think that's an underreported reason as to why they've been hammered by the electorate over the last decade and with Brexit.

Atleast 11,000 of those in care homes. Basically do not resuscitate hubs

I can’t speak for other care homes but I know that the Care Home where my dad is made specific contact with myself and my sister to confirm the status of my dad re resuscitation and/or escalation of care in the event he should become unwell due to Covid-19. Many will have done so I would imagine.

Don’t get me wrong some of the decision making around Care Homes has been deplorable and the numbers who have died are just awful but many homes will have taken significant steps to plan on-going care with the appropriate people ie the resident themselves (if competent to do so) or those with appropriate Power of Attorney.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The U.K. government is spending £35m in case it turns out this unproven drug actually work?????

That’s batshit mental.

f**k it, it would only get spent on feasibility studies for bridges with gardens on them otherwise. We should invest in copper bracelets and healing crystals too. 

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Anyone got Boris's number? I've got some magic beans that don't cure coronavirus either.

If it will entertain Trump to have Boris stick them up his hoop while he prostrates himself for any fucking sort of trade deal, you'll get a cheque from the Treasury for 100k per bean. 

57 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Don't imagine Johnston is answering his phone atm. Has anyone actually heard why he's not attending these briefings? 

Is he not on paternity leave?

That’s batshit mental.
Not to offer a defence, but it is going through clinical trials at the moment so it would make sense to buy up anything that's a potential solution that's likely to go into shortage. Especially if they are known to work for other illnesses so could still be used and/or sold on.

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s batshit mental.

It's not an unproven drug. It's unproven as to whether it works against Covid-19. Given the amount of money being burned by this virus, 35 million is a drop in the ocean. I'd say it's some long overdue forward planning.

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Is he not on paternity leave?

If any of this shower even think of rolling this out as an excuse for the yellow bastárd's disappearance at this time, they should be ridiculed. Paternity leave is there to make it a bit easier for a father to support his partner and child at a time when life suddenly becomes more complicated, and in some cases financially tight. I'm fairly sure that there are enough staff in Downing Street, and sufficient "chicken-feed" left from the Telegraph years to soften these blows.

He's supposed to be the fucking leader of the country, ffs. If, and it's a massive if, this latest spawn does take up all his time and attention, then he should hand over to one of the other cúnts - whether temporarily or long-term. Simply withdrawing from all the unpleasant, boring, responsible and accountable parts of the job is not fucking acceptable. His own bloody Party should be kicking his arse for this, let alone the Press and other Media.

Oh, yes - I'm still fucking angry.

2 minutes ago, bendan said:

It's not an unproven drug. It's unproven as to whether it works against Covid-19. Given the amount of money being burned by this virus, 35 million is a drop in the ocean. I'd say it's some long overdue forward planning.

Any chance you could put in a word for me to get funded for a few million? I have a kind of a hunch, based on, well, there's a bottle in our FA cabinet, that Calpol might be the answer.

I'll have some results by the end of the summer.

Honest.

8 minutes ago, bendan said:

So it is unproven in this situation.