Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I'm assuming that businesses pay taxes. So on them.
I also assumed it was obvious that I was talking about after they ditch the need to social distance (which they will at some point), rather than whilst offices would need to run at reduced capacities.

It will be months if not years then unless there is a massive U Turn on SD. Impossible to see how companies who reduce home working can be benefited for that via the tax system. It's a perfect home working storm that will be very difficult to curtail. We have been told home working is indefinite no chance of a return until SD ends.

They've quite literally just scrapped it in France for indoor events of less than 5,000 people. If that goes without hitch then it will be the catalyst for it being removed in other settings too.

From a business point of view it is a hindrance that will be punted as soon as allowed.

The idea that SD is here for years is up there with some of the shite being spouted about no one going on holiday until 2022 from a few months back.

Throwing office workers back at town and city centers right now is just asking for a second wave of the virus, just to save Pret-a-minger from going bust. 3000 jobs around the UK gone there already. Unnamed unknown business leaders are desperate for normality to be returned regardless of the cost to lives, as the work from home watching their wealth disappear and the prospect they might have to sell their second home in Norfolk.
Good to see our FM taking a more measured and sensible approach.
There was some uber c**t CEO type on Newsnight last night arguing for the return to the office from his office....on his super yacht in Sardinia !

They've quite literally just scrapped it in France for indoor events of less than 5,000 people. If that goes without hitch then it will be the catalyst for it being removed in other settings too.
From a business point of view it is a hindrance that will be punted as soon as allowed.
The idea that SD is here for years is up there with some of the shite being spouted about no one going on holiday until 2022 from a few months back.

When do you envisage the full return to normal . Don't see it without a vaccine myself. France have done nothing but tighten measures for weeks, they have masks now in outdoor areas, basically living in them outside your house so perhaps that's the mitigation for things like indoor crowds. Personally I would rather not go down that route.

When do you envisage the full return to normal . Don't see it without a vaccine myself. France have done nothing but tighten measures for weeks, they have masks now in outdoor areas, basically living in them outside your house so perhaps that's the mitigation for things like indoor crowds. Personally I would rather not go down that route.
You wouldnt swap wearing a mask for going to the football? Because I would snap your arm off for that.

22 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I don't know about anywhere else but no tradesmen will be missing the office workers traffic in Edinburgh.

I'd be happy if all of Edinburgh's city centre offices were closed for good. 

Aye. Wasn't tradesmen in particular i meant I suppose. More just anyone who can't work from home. Definitely get a heavy whiff of "well not all of us can work from home" whenever it's brought up.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Personally if it allows for more enjoyable things to happen then i'm all for going down that route.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Good for you Maggie. 

Based on the week you're having, comparing shutting down the mines to deciding not to strong-arm people back in to the office to save Pret a Manger shareholders would probably be considered a highlight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53951299

Who'd have thought it would be those two teams? Basically underlines my thoughts the other day as to why Celtic's request was knocked back.

For all that, you'd like to think Ross County's home match v Celtic would be 100% for County season ticket holders. But I've been around long enough to know better....

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Based on the week you're having, comparing shutting down the mines to deciding not to strong-arm people back in to the office to save Pret a Manger shareholders would probably be considered a highlight.

It's not about Pret a Manger shareholders. We have a services based economy that is dependent on a critical mass of people having jobs and spending power. Your spiel about allowing the market to kill off large categories of employment is exactly what Maggie said back in the 80s. The consequences will be the same. 

You also seem to have no conception that this will also be a disaster for office workers and not only because high unemployment pushes down wages and conditions for everyone. Office workers don't create any value and often are providing services to other services, as the UK economy shrinks the amount of white collar workers will also be reduced. 

Edited by Detournement

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Who'd have thought it would be those two teams? Basically underlines my thoughts the other day as to why Celtic's request was knocked back.

For all that, you'd like to think Ross County's home match v Celtic would be 100% for County season ticket holders. But I've been around long enough to know better....

Pisses me off. Just switched on the live Speedway from Poland, with a socially distant crowd. Pretty sure they've had crowds at sport over there for a while now.

We're still a fortnight away from pilot events.

Jason Leitch reminded us today that it's the same virus as the one in March. Aye, it's also the same virus as every other country in the world, but we continue to trail behind as ever

11 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Ross County probably have the most sedate fan base in the league and are already quarantined well away from civilization if things go tits up. 

You wouldnt swap wearing a mask for going to the football? Because I would snap your arm off for that.
At the game itself yes 100% point I was making is France seems to be ploughing ahead despite massive rises in new infections on the back of a masks in all non home situations policy especially in their numerous "red zones". It's like a trade off mitigation process.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Personally if it allows for more enjoyable things to happen then i'm all for going down that route.

Masks at work, masks out walking ???

If that meant, masks at football, masks at gigs, masks at events then yeah.

What's the alternative? Fake crowd noises and soulless bars? Sounds great that.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's not about Pret a Manger shareholders. We have a services based economy that is dependent on a critical mass of people having jobs and spending power. Your spiel about allowing the market to kill off large categories of employment is exactly what Maggie said back in the 80s. The consequences will be the same. 

You also seem to have no conception that this will also be a disaster for office workers and not only because high unemployment pushes down wages and conditions for everyone. Office workers don't create any value and often are providing services to other services, as the UK economy shrinks the amount of white collar workers will also be reduced. 

There's no serious person in any part of the political spectrum that doesn't believe that economies have to change as circumstances change. Saying that people must go into city centre offices so that the current number of shops reliant on passing lunchtime trade can keep going is like saying we should have limited the bandwidth of home internet to keep video rental shops open.

Some industries will inevitably die off. The best way to deal with it is to come up with a way to mitigate the impact that has on the people employed in them, not game the system to keep them artificially alive.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

If that meant, masks at football, masks at gigs, masks at events then yeah.

What's the alternative? Fake crowd noises and soulless bars? Sounds great that.

Do you work in the events industry? It's my best guess for your agenda, though I'm pretty clueless what it might be.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

There's no serious person in any part of the political spectrum that doesn't believe that economies have to change as circumstances change. Saying that people must go into city centre offices so that the current number of shops reliant on passing lunchtime trade can keep going is like saying we should have limited the bandwidth of home internet to keep video rental shops open.

Some industries will inevitably die off. The best way to deal with it is to come up with a way to mitigate the impact that has on the people employed in them, not game the system to keep them artificially alive.

What nobody appears to have mentioned is that for every city centre pret or burger king that loses out, a small town Butcher, Baker or farm shop is gaining.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

What nobody appears to have mentioned is that for every city centre pret or burger king that loses out, a small town Butcher, Baker or farm shop is gaining.

Exactly. I've been working from home for a month. I haven't just been gormlessly refusing to eat food at lunchtime. I've bought it from a shop nearer my home as opposed to one nearer my office.