Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's not about the consumer and how you spend your leisure time. The point is that every measure taken will impact different people with different severity. Not everyone lives this identikit existence or works in the same industry.

People in general do not really want to die, so we are quite good at avoiding situations which considerably increase the chance of this.

We've seen from March and April that, even when totally unprepared, our health service coped. There's no evidence we would come anywhere near that level again.

If masks are as effective as we are told they are, those that want to take part in activities such as going to the theatre, or going to the football, should be able to do so by wearing one. 

Those that feel this is too dangerous, can watch on tv from home.

Everyone is happy.

It's astonishing for me that people are not only still content, after almost 6 months, to be told what they can and can't do, which family members they can and can't see, and where they can and can't work, all because of a virus that we quite literally have to go looking for and test people to let them know they have it, but they want and, at times, beg for more restrictions.

I saw a comment from a granny on twitter the other day who was saying how delighted she was to be seeing her grandkids for the first time in 6 months, and couldn't wait to hug them. Within minutes, someone had replied "sorry, no hugs allowed yet." Who does that? Literally f**k off 😂

If it didn't have serious mental health and economic consequences it would be laughable.

47 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I wouldn't call myself an armchair expert since I don't have one. I've been pondering buying one of these corner sofas, but it would mean losing a lot of space in my modestly size lounge. They do take up a lot of space, but that's the challenge. Probably will buy a couple of armchairs as well so it will improve my knowledge and the knock on effect it might even help improve my knowledge on other subjects like antiques and the wildlife of the Siberian *****a.

Some like leather chairs and sofas, some prefer fabric, so not sure there.

I suppose also you have to take into consideration the wear factor and if there are any pets in the house.

wtf :lol: seriously guys, what is the name of the Siberian forests, starts with T ends in A.

You've got it right, sounds like 'tie-ga' but the spelling falls under the Div banhammer. 

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

f**k up you!  there's something seriously wrong with anyone who comes onto a discussion forum just to piss other people off and repeat the same line again and again and again,

Everyone else , stop responding to him!

^^^ snippy parent

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Their work is not open because that is deemed to be a necessary 'sacrifice' to keep snippy parents off the government's back. Clownshoes Leitch has said as much many times over. 

If schools were reduced to part-time capacity and therefore credible infection control measures like a restaurant or an office building then the overall risk of community transmission would be much lower and so far fewer 'sacrifices' would have to be made in other sectors. 

You of all people should know that Leitch says what he thinks people want to hear at that particular time.

He's a choob who is basking in the limelight like the rest of them.

I don't believe a word he says.

As for "credible infection control" - I've seen this take the form of a pishy wee see through screen next to a table. The very idea that that is really doing anything other than ticking a box seems laughable to me. In the same way cutting up a £2 Primark T-shirt and wearing it over your nose and mouth is deemed an acceptable face covering is.

Edited by Todd_is_God

That's a genuinely world class post from VT to the fence sitter. 

Bingo card at the ready for the reply

"Mrs B"

"Mum's basement"

"If you're not a parent you wouldn't understand"

Something about education being absolutely vital to development 

Hybrid twee swear word like "spunkpuffin"

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

You of all people should know that Leitch says what he thinks people want to hear at that particular time.

He's a choob who is basking in the limelight like the rest of them.

I don't believe a word he says.

There is no reason to disbelieve the point that schools are open along completely separate rules to any other setting - while other sectors are still closed entirely - for political reasons rather than public health ones. It also explains why colleges and universities have to follow much stricter rules than schools within the same sector. 

So long as the SG has got the parent/martyr brigade on board it knows that it will have a 'good crisis' from a political standpoint. If your sector doesn't have that electoral clout then tough luck. 

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

People are losing their jobs and businesses not because schools are open, but because their work is not.

Part-time schooling won't solve that.

You're point about the stance that schools being open normally is ok but absolutely anything else isn't being ridiculous is absolutely spot on, just not for the reason you so desperately want to project.

Absolutely. Now, you work out how you get thousands of people spread across twenty. thirty, forty or more floors of an office block while maintaing any kind of distancing or other mitigation. Then multiply that by the number of similar sites across the country. I can't be arsed even guessing, but as a guide, the lifts in our nick can carry four people at a time rather than the customary twenty four rating. (Bed lift in Healthcare). You simply can't get all those potential Pret&Costa consumers to their workplace, let alone get them back out spending at lunchtime.

WFH has overwhelmingly produced equal or better performance, gives workers the commute time back as leisure, is better for the environment and, with a bit of forsight, could be saving employers millions in office rental. It's almost (OFFICE RENTAL) as if (THAT WAS A CLUE, BTW) there's an other motive for getting offices (WHICH ARE FÚCKING EXPENSIVE TO RENT) filled up again, rather than adapting to the new circumstances we find ourselves in. What could it be, I wonder?

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Absolutely. Now, you work out how you get thousands of people spread across twenty. thirty, forty or more floors of an office block while maintaing any kind of distancing or other mitigation. Then multiply that by the number of similar sites across the country. I can't be arsed even guessing, but as a guide, the lifts in our nick can carry four people at a time rather than the customary twenty four rating. (Bed lift in Healthcare). You simply can't get all those potential Pret&Costa consumers to their workplace, let alone get them back out spending at lunchtime.

WFH has overwhelmingly produced equal or better performance, gives workers the commute time back as leisure, is better for the environment and, with a bit of forsight, could be saving employers millions in office rental. It's almost (OFFICE RENTAL) as if (THAT WAS A CLUE, BTW) there's an other motive for getting offices (WHICH ARE FÚCKING EXPENSIVE TO RENT) filled up again, rather than adapting to the new circumstances we find ourselves in. What could it be, I wonder?

Those WFH are not in danger of losing their jobs because their work isn't allowed to open, though.

Which makes the rest of your post redundant (pun intended).

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

There is no reason to disbelieve the point that schools are open along completely separate rules to any other setting - while other sectors are still closed entirely - for political reasons rather than public health ones. It also explains why colleges and universities have to follow much stricter rules than schools within the same sector. 

So long as the SG has got the parent/martyr brigade on board it knows that it will have a 'good crisis' from a political standpoint. If your sector doesn't have that electoral clout then tough luck. 

I don't disagree with you. But if you genuinely were concerned for people's jobs and businesses you would be arguing that schools should be open fully, along with everything else.

I may have picked you up wrongly but your viewpoint seems to be annoyance because schools are treated differently than everywhere else rather than because everywhere else is treated differently than schools.

Aw come on now children. Schools are going back all accross Europe, it may be because of them that infections are rising. It might be the dozens of other things now also permitted. It might be people dropping their guard or simply getting tired of SD and pushing the boundaries a bit.
But it’s not just us so we really need to drop this “ sturgeon is throwing us to the wolves to get the schools open cause parents and employers will greet if they dinnae”

8 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Aw come on now children. Schools are going back all accross Europe, it may be because of them that infections are rising. It might be the dozens of other things now also permitted. It might be people dropping their guard or simply getting tired of SD and pushing the boundaries a bit.
But it’s not just us so we really need to drop this “ sturgeon is throwing us to the wolves to get the schools open cause parents and employers will greet if they dinnae”

Why did Swinney drop the planned "blended learning" we were meant to be having in August?

Just now, Snafu said:

If any of the mouth breathing anti face mask and anti vaxxers that congregated outside the Scottish Parliament buildings and in Glasgow last weekend caught the virus it would be starting to show itself.

In fairness you were touting Vitamin D as a miracle cure so not sure you can be slating anyone for alternative theories

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Those WFH are not in danger of losing their jobs because their work isn't allowed to open, though.

Which makes the rest of your post redundant (pun intended).

In actual fact,  those working in Pret/Costa/All bar One/any food/drink outlet relying on those office drones' business absolutely are losing their jobs. Not "in danger of", actually losing them as we speak. It's been happening even through Furlough, and is only going to accelerate. And the fewer of these outlets trading, the fewer support staff at regional and national level required - whether WFH or dragging themselves into the B&M office daily. So yes, those jobs are in danger. Again, if you're involved, in any capacity, in an industry or sector which, to use an arbitrary benchmark, relies on consumers' disposable cash for income, I'd be looking for alternatives before the hammer falls.

It's almost as if you spend too much time twisting graphs and data to fit an agenda, and struggle to see the interconnection of cause and effect in the real world.

29 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If I had been, I'd have joined the Prison Service a lot earlier..

Never heard of T h a i g a, though. I genuinely was trying to help!

And now I realise that the "H" is extraneous, it starts to make a bit more sense. Now, where's that double facepalm GIF?

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Why did Swinney drop the planned "blended learning" we were meant to be having in August?

Because Jack McConnell and Co demanded "certainty" that their kids would go back (which they got in form of the current uncertainty) as opposed to the "uncertainty" of them definitely, certainly doing some form of blended learning every day.

34 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Second paragraph sums up the current UKG drive to get people back into offices - there will be a lot of potential...and maybe actual...Tory donors shitting the bed right now regarding all that close-on-worthless down the line empty city-centre office space they are sitting on. The WFH thing was always going to happen but there was always a sense of it happening more gradually, whereas it's been introduced in big bang fashion thanks to the virus, and a helluva lot of people now they've been introduced to it will have no intentions of returning to the previous status quo.

I'm sure there were similar vested interests in the late 1800s arguing that this internal combustion thing was just a phase and we should return to animal power ASAP because think of the horsebreeders...

19 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

In actual fact,  those working in Pret/Costa/All bar One/any food/drink outlet relying on those office drones' business absolutely are losing their jobs. Not "in danger of", actually losing them as we speak. It's been happening even through Furlough, and is only going to accelerate. And the fewer of these outlets trading, the fewer support staff at regional and national level required - whether WFH or dragging themselves into the B&M office daily. So yes, those jobs are in danger. Again, if you're involved, in any capacity, in an industry or sector which, to use an arbitrary benchmark, relies on consumers' disposable cash for income, I'd be looking for alternatives before the hammer falls.

It's almost as if you spend too much time twisting graphs and data to fit an agenda, and struggle to see the interconnection of cause and effect in the real world.

What are you talking about?

I don't think you understood my point to VT tbh

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What are you talking about?

I don't think you understood my point to VT tbh

I'm talking about your inability to understand a previous post of mine.

I frankly couldn't give a shiny shite what you and the sage of Inverclyde might be discussing.

49 minutes ago, virginton said:

Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you want to do it as well champ: which is in fact the issue that the vast majority of parents have with schools not looking after their sprogs on a 9-half 3 basis for five days a week. And we know that you fall into this category because of your previous posts on this very thread:

Here you are, clamouring to chuck your weans into a school in the middle of lockdown itself and screaming at the government who you are now circling the wagons around. 

And here you are identifying yourself that many parents are desperate to 'fire the kids of to school' for entirely different reasons to the education is precious claptrap you're peddling right now. 

Fooling absolutely no-one then. 

Oh good: remind us all how the government's balanced handling of public health risk/economic disruption/the poor weans worked out for us all back in March champ. 

For the umpteenth time, unemployment is already forecast to hit double figures with the schools open - there is going to be an enormous amount of slack in terms of economic activity and the labour force by the time autumn is done with. This isn't World War II then - we really are not depending on every non-essential drone worker/full-time mummy to come into work every day to 'keep the economy going'. If a public health risk means that schools cannot open on a full-time basis (or have to close entirely during a local outbreak) then there are and will be plenty of other people who can work in the absence of those taking up their childcare responsibilities. So mebbe we should prioritise that in the middle of a pandemic instead of throwing everything else under a bus while not actually managing the outbreak anyway. It's not as if the clowncar UK governments have got a good track record on this at it stands. 

Literally none of that post actually addresses anything I said. Even the bit at the start is you claiming to know what I "want". And to backup your argument, you used a post made by me in relation to the health risk associated with putting kids on school. Completely unrelated to, well anything really. I was not scared for the health of my kids then. I am not scared for their health now. 

And to further back up your mewling, you have completed fabricated an all powerful "nippy parents" lobby. Who are these parents influencing the government? And why is that that they have seemingly way more influence than actual, not made up in your toothless wee head, massive industries like travel, hospitality and even professional sports having their way with the government? You have somehow managed to build up a few Facebook maws into the malevolent unseen hand guiding the Scottish Government and to be quite honest, its pathetic. You cant actually offer anything to back up your constant mewling about schools going back and you havent addressed what I initially said. Schools are back because they are seen as being essential to a functioning society. 

So if you care to contend what I posted, that schools are back and football crowds arent because of the cost/benefit of one is vastly different to the other, feel free. If you want to talk about a made up parental bogeyman then by all means direct it elsewhere. 

Honestly, for someone who seemingly takes pride in being educated, your inability to look beyond the things that you personally want to see getting back to normal is quite amazing. 

Just re read your post there, and it seems you are suggesting that we can just replace workers who need to loom after their kids with newly available workers who dont have kids. Absolutely gone at that tbh. You are a fucking idiot.