Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We wouldn't have this issue if we made them compulsory. 
I am asthmatic but have zero tolerance of the "ave got asthma" crowd.

Currently I have a mask on at work and at home - because my wife is having to self-isolate before her operation on Christmas Eve.

If you can't wear a mask for a short trip to the shops then you shouldn't be out at all.

Absolute rubbish.

A child with a behavioural disorder (such as autism), a person suffering from some form of PTSD, (possibly a woman who's been attacked previously), an elderly gentleman with alzheimers/dementia. You're saying that they shouldn't be allowed in the shops haha unreal.

That's only 3 examples off the top of my head. I could go on.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-37-children/

An aggregate of various other studies suggests that about 20% of kids who are infected remain asymptomatic.

Then again, this aggregate of studies: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0241536

Reckons asymptomatic cases could be anywhere in the range of 20 to 75%

Although this one seems to suggest something like 28% of all cases are asymptomatic: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/925128/S0745_Rapid_review_of_asymptomatic_proportion_of_SARS-CoV-2_infections_in_community_settings.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiNk9KJ09ftAhV1nVwKHZLwB60QFjAPegQIDhAB&usg=AOvVaw03h44CrgO2-BMNcqdaPhuk

Within that document they remark that only one study seemed to put numbers on differences between asymptomatic kids and adults which was 23% in kids (which matches with the first aggregate study) and 7% in adults. That would support the thesis that kids are more likely to be asymptomatic  but then again the percentage of asymptomatic adults is on the low end.

It does suggest though, that while 20% is a high number, its not the case that a single symptomatic classroom case is hiding 10 asymptomatic ones. Indeed, it suggests that you need to get to 5 schools with 1 case each before you have a certainty of finding one asymptomatic case. At least, thats my interpretation of the above. Happy to be disabused of incorrect notions.

Edited by renton

52 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Chief Exec of Acot racecourse on ITV racing there planning for restrictions on attendance until 2022 ffs !!!

It would make sense for any spectator venues to plan for restrictions on attendance being in place through 2021, with anything above their projected attendance allowance being a bonus.

That doesn't mean they have had notice that restrictions will be in place throughout 2021, though I would say it is likely that they will have had discussions about the likelihood of restrictions being lifted, to what extent, and when.

You can still be fined for not wearing a mask*, can't you? That would suggest to me they are mandatory. 
*Unless you have a valid medical exemption, of course. 
Yes but the authorities have to prove you should be wearing said mask.
Individuals can refuse to identify themselves to the police.
So a catch 22.
Only way police can get their details is to arrest them.
You can only arrest some who has committed a crime.
Catch 22
Sue for wrongful arrest etc etc.
Loads of arseholes know the holes in the law.
Plenty of them post videos of themselves taking the piss and post them on.youtube.

I could be mistaken but didn't those who were medically exempt from wearing masks get some sort of lanyard or something to say so?

I could have completely made this up right enough.
Young lassie at work (and all her pals) got some mask exemption thing from Boots.

There's nothing medically wrong with any of them which would actually make them exempt, they just don't want to wear one.

Interesting article about the 19th century anti-vaccination movement.  It's from 2005 so is more in refernence to the MMR scare than anything else but interesting all the same.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v27/n17/susan-pedersen/anti-condescensionism?utm_campaign=20201217dt&utm_content=20201217dt CID_e53896be893426851e0ddeaffc87bde0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=LRB email&utm_term=Read more

19th century vaccination wasn't for the faint of heart

the infant’s skin was scored with a lancet in several places and viral material rubbed into the wound. Eight days later, the parent was required to bring the child back: those who had developed vesicles had the lymph harvested for direct application to another child. This ‘arm to arm’ method was cheaper than vaccination with calf lymph but was, unsurprisingly, much resented by the poor, who could neither prevent their children from being used as a sort of petri dish for the cultivation of vaccine material nor choose the source of the material smeared into their own child’s wounds.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting article about the 19th century anti-vaccination movement.  It's from 2005 so is more in refernence to the MMR scare than anything else but interesting all the same.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v27/n17/susan-pedersen/anti-condescensionism?utm_campaign=20201217dt&utm_content=20201217dt CID_e53896be893426851e0ddeaffc87bde0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=LRB email&utm_term=Read more

19th century vaccination wasn't for the faint of heart

Jesus f**k 

How do you know they're not alienating people who do wear masks and won't go back if other customers don't?
Is there anything you can't turn in to a dilemma?
It's quite simple "Sorry mate, wear a mask or no wine/fags/kebab". Or " Sorry dear if you don't wear a mask you can't get the People's Friend".
This is just utter bollocks (how's that for picking a side).

A French bus driver was brutally attacked in the summer because he asked a group of young guys to wear a mask (i can't remenber if he died or not).

But you expect shopkeepers and folk working in a take away to stay dishing out telts? Quite often they'll only be a couple of folk in the shop - and as had been noted its usually young guys who are refusing to wear masks. I hope to f**k you challenge them whenever you see someone not following the rules.

And the chances of them alienating regular customers who do wear masks for not being harder on others are much lower - another pretty weak point. In general, folk feel sympathy for the workers who are having to continue to work whilst some fuckers ignore the rules.

Supermarket observations:

Workies are by far the biggest demographic for not wearing masks. If you hear a neddy voice that's much clearer and louder than normal, guarantee you'll turn round and see Timberland boots, paint-spattered trousers and a hi-vis. It's not all, but it's the most common I've seen. 

@Robin.Hood will confirm, shop workers (supermarket ones at least) aren't allowed to ask people if they should be wearing a mask. 

Personally I think every shop should pick the biggest person they have on their staff, give them a baseball bat and station them at the front door. The message would soon sink in.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Why are there loads of adverts for this on telly now?  They seem to be trying to sell it as some sort of sophisticated drink, showing people clinking glasses with their pals.  I'd never heard of it before aside from seeing empty cans of it strewn around the local park.

You usually find several cans of it on the Subway when Rangers are playing at home.

I know someone that wore a mask before it was compulsory when nobody else was and they were very much on their high horse about it and then as soon as it became compulsory they stopped wearing one and cited medical reasons. 

What's aw that about??

I know someone that wore a mask before it was compulsory when nobody else was and they were very much on their high horse about it and then as soon as it became compulsory they stopped wearing one and cited medical reasons. 
What's aw that about??

Attention seeking.
Said before I’m exempt technically but I wear one because it’s only on for 10 minutes.

I think another "lockdown" in Scotland (minus the huge Covid Hotspots obviously) is a certainty after Christmas. We aren't even in winter yet and January/February is always the most difficult time for the NHS in any normal year due to the flu season and other illnesses brought on and exacerbated because of the weather and human behaviour during these months.

Hospitality, non essential retail, gyms and other sectors have been shut down or severely restricted for large swathes of Scotland for months and it has not made a significant enough difference to case numbers (we all know why that is) which would have made it possible to open most of society back up for any significant period of time.

It is going to be a long winter but if we all make our own sunshine we should get through it. [emoji274]

I will give inventing a nuclear fusion reactor in my garage a go. Could be tricky tbh.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

This is just utter bollocks (how's that for picking a side).

A French bus driver was brutally attacked in the summer because he asked a group of young guys to wear a mask (i can't remenber if he died or not).

But you expect shopkeepers and folk working in a take away to stay dishing out telts? Quite often they'll only be a couple of folk in the shop - and as had been noted its usually young guys who are refusing to wear masks. I hope to f**k you challenge them whenever you see someone not following the rules.

And the chances of them alienating regular customers who do wear masks for not being harder on others are much lower - another pretty weak point. In general, folk feel sympathy for the workers who are having to continue to work whilst some fuckers ignore the rules.

The old "do you challenge them" chestnut. It's not my job to, I'll just go where I can expect compliance. If I was doing my current job I would tell people to wear a mask if they expected a private one to one conversation. Just before lock down, I explained I wouldn't shake hands or get too close when conducting matters when the virus behaviour wasn't so well known.

As explained earlier, staff in a variety of roles have to maintain certain legally binding standards, asking people to wear masks wouldn't be big deal.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson