Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Nothing comparable between Scotland and any of those countries.  I also very much doubt the Palestine figures.

"Those figures don't suit my argument" type post

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Everyone look at me, look at my Keep Calm And Carry On blitz spirit. Stiff upper lip and all that.'

Better than struggling and blaming the world whilst having the solutions within your own gift. 

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve read a few people hypothesise that the Kent strain came from medical experiments on Covid patients. I don’t mean batshit conspiracy theorists but one Twitter account in particular who I find very reliable.

A paper has been written on this, positing that the strain came due to plasma treatments.

Is it not just natural selection at work

As with anything else

Just now, Granny Danger said:

“Thinks Palestine is a valid comparison to Scotland in dealing with a global pandemic” type post.

Aye, because I specifically highlighted Palestine's figures in comparison to Scotland

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Everyone look at me, look at my Keep Calm And Carry On blitz spirit. Stiff upper lip and all that.'

Better than the bitching and whining “Boo hoo, poor me, I can’t go to the pub.  Life is so cruel” type patter.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, because I specifically highlighted Palestine's figures in comparison to Scotland

It was one of the countries in the table.  Which countries in that table are a valid comparison?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

“I’ll vote Tory if it allows me to go for a pint” would be an astounding position for most posters.  But, lone behold, it’s about what I’d expect from ‘the main players’ on here.

One of the more disheartening aspects of the pandemic for me has been the reveal on just how lacking in understanding and empathy a large section of the public are. This thread and social media is a microcosm of this, with a huge number of posts like the above. Just one very prominent example of this is every time someone mentions hospitality, it’s straight to “you just want a pint” rather than any sort of empathy for the large number of people furloughed or unemployed, or who’s business is likely finished and are struggling to make ends meet.

There’s been plenty of other examples of this, but it’s always sad to see that a lot of people, like GD above, that either genuinely are incapable of empathy and therefore can’t think beyond “this person wants a pint” or, even worse, they do understand but just don’t care.

“Thinks Palestine is a valid comparison to Scotland in dealing with a global pandemic” type post.

Northern Ireland with fewer deaths per population number seems to me at least a valid comparison yet you still state Scotland has been the most effective of the U.K. countries in dealing with this pandemic. And that’s before we even look at excess mortality figures.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Better than the bitching and whining “Boo hoo, poor me, I can’t go to the pub.  Life is so cruel” type patter.

Yep, it's a frame of mind for most and they CHOOSE the quivering lip option. 

24 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That's where I'll be giving both my votes this year. I've voted SNP every single time since I turned 18 but I cannot endorse the last 12 months of care homes, platforming Leitch and The Guys, economic ruin caused by the lengthiest restrictions in Europe and being spoken to like a 6 year old on a daily basis.

I will never vote for a Unionist party so Greens it is.

Thing is the Greens are unlikely to be standing in a lot of seats. Most probably won’t get the chance to give them a constituency vote.

There’s a long way to go and plenty can change between now and May, but the thought of spoiling my ballot has never been so appealing.

12 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep. No good is an interesting term for a small study where no patients died or were hospitalised.

Aye, but none of them climbed Everest the week after they got it, either...

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

As I was typing out my last post, an even better example of what I was talking about appears. Genuinely sad to see.

It's an extraordinary lack of understanding.

You'd imagine someone who by their own admission wrongly voted for Brexit, would learn from their previous mistakes and have a bit more empathy and open-mindedness to the current situation we find ourselves in and the effect it's having on people but it seems some are just doomed to making the same mistakes over and over.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

One of the more disheartening aspects of the pandemic for me has been the reveal on just how lacking in understanding and empathy a large section of the public are. This thread and social media is a microcosm of this, with a huge number of posts like the above. Just one very prominent example of this is every time someone mentions hospitality, it’s straight to “you just want a pint” rather than any sort of empathy for the large number of people furloughed or unemployed, or who’s business is likely finished and are struggling to make ends meet.

There’s been plenty of other examples of this, but it’s always sad to see that a lot of people, like GD above, that either genuinely are incapable of empathy and therefore can’t think beyond “this person wants a pint” or, even worse, they do understand but just don’t care.

Soz. 

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Mental health, ruined businesses and ruined lives doesn’t matter to Granny Danger. All that matters is that his political party are polling well so that he can lord it up over people on the internet!

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

All of us have been affected by this, all of us.  The year out of my life is probably a bigger proportion of my remaining years than many on here.

I’m not able to see my granddaughter, can’t go on holiday (my biggest pleasure in life), can’t go to the football (maybe a blessing in disguise), having to struggle with the impact on my business (that’s not fun).  The thing is I’m not constantly bitching and moaning about it and looking for sympathy because I accept that it’s an unprecedented situation.