Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I was more pointing out the numbers who voted for them in the last general election based on getting brexit done, who suddenly find a gang of corrupt sociopaths getting their filthy fingers in about every briefcase of cash they can find, talking about the death penalty, dismantling the nhs, demonising lawyers, binning judicial reviews, governing by dictat, brazenly lying and fucking us all up the farter with brexit and trying to strip as much as they can from the devolution settlement. But whoop 🥳 Brexit. Just the 4 more years of this. 

Scotland has been a single-issue political system since 2014 so we're not really in a position to sneer at others for following the same path tbh.

I would like to weigh up parties at the upcoming May election on their stance on i) independence ii) binning ridiculous and economically ruinous restrictions (as vaccinations steadily remove their purpose during the spring) and iii) what changes they want to make in order to not just return to the same old pish, but now with a huge furlough bill and other pandemic interventions to pay off forever as well. There's been some union talk of the SG subsidising businesses to transition to a four day, 32 hour week - some form of UBI should also be getting discussed. 

I suspect that they will just provide multiple colours of the same shite on those last two issues though, apart from the Tories on the lockdown issue who will be filed in the bin where they belong. The wonders of democratic choice!

Edited by vikingTON

I'd like to think that anyone considering a non-SNP vote in May would never, ever under any circumstances turn that into a pro-tory vote.

There's plenty of excuse to be critical of the party you lend your support to and plenty to be said for exploring and looking to cast your vote elsewhere if unhappy with their handling of a situation, however empty a gesture that may be. If none of the parties tick the boxes for me, so be it. I won't fucking vote. No-one will tell me I'm not allowed a political opinion for not voting if literally none of the parties on the ballot paper are up to scratch.

There's no excuse though, for that vote being directed in the way of the tory party. That idea can resoundingly f**k off.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Scotland has been a single-issue political system since 2014 so we're not really in a position to sneer at others for following the same path tbh.

I would like to weigh up parties on their stance on i) independence ii) binning ridiculous and economically ruinous restrictions (as vaccinations steadily removes their purpose during the spring) and iii) what changes they want to make in order to not just return to the same old pish, but with a huge furlough bill and other pandemic interventions to pay off forever. There's been some union talk of the SG subsidising businesses to transition to a four day, 32 hour week - some form of UBI should also be getting discussed. 

I suspect that the May election will just provide multiply colours of the same shite  on those last two issues, apart from the Tories on the lockdown issue who will be filed in the bin where they belong. The wonders of democratic choice!

It has, but for me this is the moment to finally push for number 2. It might not come again for a long while. Its set up really nicely (outwith the potential self destructive civil war). I'll be holding my nose (more about swinney's education farce-a-rama than anything else) And I see the Scot's one issue party as being in the general interests of the Scottish people. I'm not so sure the tories have a similar motive. 

It has, but for me this is the moment to finally push for number 2. It might not come again for a long while. Its set up really nicely (outwith the potential self destructive civil war). I'll be holding my nose (more about swinney's education farce-a-rama than anything else) And I see the Scot's one issue party as being in the general interests of the Scottish people. I'm not so sure the tories have a similar motive. 

You mean number one ???

1 hour ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Far from certain and we don't know what relationship rUK will have with Europe at that time.   We've seen Gibraltar stay within Schengen https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55497084.   There's nothing to say Scotland cant have a similar arrangement with rest of the island.  

Gibraltar did not stay within Schengen.  It joined Schengen.  This was very simple as their only land border is with another EU country.  Totally different situation to an independent Scotland.

Just now, Left Back said:

Gibraltar did not stay within Schengen.  It joined Schengen.  This was very simple as their only land border is with another EU country.  Totally different situation to an independent Scotland.

A lengthy Google to return what I said.  

You've two awful replies tonight.   

Reset.  Tomorrow you can do better.  You must do better.  

48 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd like to think that anyone considering a non-SNP vote in May would never, ever under any circumstances turn that into a pro-tory vote.

There's plenty of excuse to be critical of the party you lend your support to and plenty to be said for exploring and looking to cast your vote elsewhere if unhappy with their handling of a situation, however empty a gesture that may be. If none of the parties tick the boxes for me, so be it. I won't fucking vote. No-one will tell me I'm not allowed a political opinion for not voting if literally none of the parties on the ballot paper are up to scratch.

There's no excuse though, for that vote being directed in the way of the tory party. That idea can resoundingly f**k off.

No idea who else you can vote for, can’t vote Tory and Labour are a mess and I said I’d never vote for them after Iraq. 
TBH the original snp vote was a protest against Labour then I started getting into independence. 
Scottish politics is a total shitshow run by the only semi competent party and it’s not pretty. 
Drugs death capital of Europe, supposed education issues, failure to win yes vote, salmond and other msp scandals, poor handling of covid. 
At least it wasn’t Labour in charge I suppose. As said before most of the top talent goes down south to Westminster which is ironic.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55967767

The AZ vaccine offers limited protection against the South African variant.

At the end of the article:

...Dr Michael Head, a senior research fellow in global health at Southampton University, said that if the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine was less protective against mild disease but prevented severe disease this would "still be a pretty good outcome".

"I don't think we need to be too alarmed by [the reported findings] as yet but we do need to see the full study to work out what the implications really are," he told the BBC

The content of the article is good news overall although it won't be spun that way by media outlets looking for a click baity headline. Mainly younger healthy people studied so they can't draw definite conclusions about severe outcomes but immune responses are still being observed, so the vaccine is still working against the SA variant.

Not mentioned is that South Africa has recently received OxfordAZ doses from India to vaccinate its health care workers. The strong Indian role on producing OxfordAZ maybe muddies the water too much where vaccine nationalism is concerned.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Good to see Todd wanting to vote Tory for his own selfish gain like every other Tory. f**k the poor ah want ma holidays and a pint.

“I’ll vote Tory if it allows me to go for a pint” would be an astounding position for most posters.  But, lone behold, it’s about what I’d expect from ‘the main players’ on here.

Edited by Granny Danger