Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine does not appear to offer protection against mild and moderate disease caused by the viral variant first identified in South Africa, according to a study due to be published on Monday.

Although none of the more than 2,000 patients in the study died or was hospitalised, the findings could complicate the race to roll out vaccines as new strains emerge.

In both the human trials and tests on the blood of those vaccinated, the jab showed significantly reduced efficacy against the 501Y.V2 viral variant, which is dominant in South Africa, according to the randomised, double-blind study seen by the Financial Times.

Here's a crib from the FT. Article linked below - I could view it even though I'm not subscribed. 

https://www.ft.com/content/e9bbd4fe-e6bf-4383-bfd3-be64140a3f36

Article also says Novavax and J&J less effective. Pfizer and Moderna seemingly also less effective too. 

However... No-one was hospitalised or died. If people get mild symptoms is this really a big deal? I don't think it is. 

Edited by Michael W

36 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

How do you control death rate when we're not in control of borders? If we had the ability to shut international borders, and the English border in March then aye, we'd have fuxked it. But we didn't and don't. Yet.

They're not blameless by any means, very few Govts are, but it's not a "complete disaster" as they weren't in complete control of the response.

I keep hearing this  and keep laughing.  The Scottish Government are currently trumpeting that our border control measures are stricter than Englands.  How are we not in control of our own borders?

if the political will existed the border with England could also have been closed, exactly as the Welsh tried.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I know they're tweaking it but it's not supposed to be very effective at all, I'm only going from what was being said on 5live, haven't read about it myself. 

What the paper says is limited protection against mild disease in young people.  There's a concern in there but at this stage it's absolutely no more than that.

In all honesty it looks like a small study in a population group who make up a tiny proportion of the people who are either hospitalised and/or die from Covid. 

22 minutes ago, 101 said:

I agree those were failures of the state. But the genomic sequencing done shows that the majority of the second spike was caused by foreign holidays. 

"many cases could be traced to summer holidays and other travel abroad in July and August" COG-UK consortium.

I would then ask if we had adopted stricter border controls would the appalling bad decisions to let students go back without testing have been as bad, probably not, but it was still a stupid decision.

Your quote does not actually support the claim that you have made about foreign holidays.

That a Spanish variant has subsequently out-competed the plucky British version that was still all over England throughout the summer also does not actually demonstrate that foreign travel caused the second wave. Given the same conditions - pretending that education could be magically shielded from infection going into the autumn - the virus would have been lifted from Blackpool and other shiteholes and spread regardless. The sooner that people stop obsessing so much about this Spanish variant, Kent variant, South African variant pish and trying to make nonsense hindsight-based solutions around them, the better. 

Edited by vikingTON

I keep hearing this  and keep laughing.  The Scottish Government are currently trumpeting that our border control measures are stricter than Englands.  How are we not in control of our own borders?
if the political will existed the border with England could also have been closed, exactly as the Welsh tried.

We can't close our international border, and are you saying that closing the Scottish/English border is actually possible? One has to come with the other to have any effect.

Forget the soundbites.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Hopefully, it will only add another excuse to list of 2 week extensions. 

Edited by ayrmad

19 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

If you want Independence, then you vote SNP. It's not rocket science.

I want independence, but the SNP, in its current form, can get fucked, to the extent i'd never vote for them.

Who do I vote for?

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your quote does not actually support the claim that you have made about foreign holidays.

That a Spanish variant has subsequently out-competed the plucky British version that was still all over England throughout the summer also does not actually demonstrate that foreign travel caused to the second wave. Given the same conditions - pretending that education could be magically shielded from infection going into the autumn - the virus would have been lifted from Blackpool and other shiteholes and spread regardless. The sooner that people stop obsessing so much about this Spanish variant, Kent variant, South African variant pish, the better. 

The comparison being made earlier was between countries that had full control over their borders and Scotland. As you have pointed out none of the varieties started in Scotland. England is a different country and if Scotland was a comparable country to the list of countries that were being flung about earlier then we could quarantine those going to and from meaning people going to Blackpool could do so without bringing infection back.

Im sure most people l, probably the vast majority would take living without restrictions, other than on foreign travel, rather than this mess.

Maybe next pandemic we will try that.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I want independence, but the SNP, in its current form, can get fucked, to the extent i'd never vote for them.

Who do I vote for?

I've not found a sensible alternative yet, oso I'll probably lend them my vote for a wee while yet. 

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

We can't close our international border, and are you saying that closing the Scottish/English border is actually possible? One has to come with the other to have any effect.

Forget the soundbites.

You don’t have to close the border to have border control.  Wales “closed” the border with England.  If SG really wanted to they’d be able to as well. That isn’t convenient for them though, so they won’t.

Who do I vote for?
You want Independence but would never vote SNP. That's some challenge you've set yourself.

I'd love to visit Australia but I'll never fly. It's possible, but it's a fexking long and painful way to get there which takes a lot longer than it needs to be.