Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah they’re lined up like optics.  The Pfizer one was an extra £10 but I thought “I’m worth it”.

They don't call you L'oreal for nothing.........

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

I'd say it's fairly straightforward really in terms of how we get to the end of the pandemic. Swing and a miss.

And thankfully, as I'm not a 'public health expert' in the public eye, I can continue shitposting on here to my heart's content.

4U0m6pP.png

Wait what. He's being nostradmus? Oh no he's not. I mean, Hats off to the guy, but he's not predicting the future, he's suggesting how people could behave, how he would like things to go. 

Prescient suggests *will* happen, not could, should, may or would be nice to. 

Thanks for your input tho 👍 

As you clearly don't get it - he's basically saying, it would be nice if people stopped behaving like that, in order for us to reach a more sensible future. Your "shit posting" being exactly the kind of shit he's talking about. 

imageproxy (3).gif

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

It certainly is 🙂

The whole effing system is wrong..

if the judge sentences you to 10 years in jail then you should do 10 years.

A few years ago a judge sentenced a guy to 10 years for a crime which the judge said was horrific.

He should have continued and say but if you keep your nose clean you will be out in 5 years.

What's the point of the sentencing. They are mostly false.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Mostly because the current thinking in the criminal justice system is that punitive punishment doesn't work.  Criminal justice is geared towards rehabilitation because in the main people that go into prison will one day come out of prison.

But what is the point of sentencing someone to 10 years imprisonment when everybody kens the criminal will no do that?

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

6 yrs 8 mths. 

But that's no what he was sentenced to.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Cheers. It's the GP doing them here, I emailed them and they said...

"We are working on lists at the moment and we will be in touch by telephone in due course".

'sake. That's no use. 

It seems there's some kind of username on the letter. Dunno if it will work the same for where you are, but once I get that I'll be able to go online and rearrange my app - only if I can get one sooner tho 

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'd love to see Sridhar's working for plucking October out of a hat tbh.

Maybe something to do with the tweaked vaccines being ready in autumn? I dunno.

I asked a similar question on twitter (why the need for zero covid if we're all jagged) and all the replies (from actual educated people and not shit posting no-marks) gave me nothing new. 

Vaccine that can be escaped from. Presence of vaccine and lack of herd immunity level of coverage makes it more likely dodgy variants will arrive, etc etc etc

Frankly the public aren't going to stand for restrictions if they don't seem to be necessary. Sure, if it all goes tits up there could be a case for bringing them back, but I'd defo want to see the working for those sums

So far today we've had the Hancock Doom & Gloom statement followed by the Sridhar Doom and Gloom interview, so while all that's been going on we've also got,

Travel company Tui has said it expects to run 80% of its normal capacity for this summer, with 2.8 million customers already booked for its holidays.

The statement follows optimism from other travel firms that the industry is set for recovery as coronavirus vaccination programmes advance.

Well, they can't all be right !!!

6 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But what is the point of sentencing someone to 10 years imprisonment when everybody kens the criminal will no do that?

But that's no what he was sentenced to.

Used to do 2/3rds of sentences over 4 years. 

No doubt a tag after 40 months would probably happen. 

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So far today we've had the Hancock Doom & Gloom statement followed by the Sridhar Doom and Gloom interview, so while all that's been going on we've also got,

Travel company Tui has said it expects to run 80% of its normal capacity for this summer, with 2.8 million customers already booked for its holidays.

The statement follows optimism from other travel firms that the industry is set for recovery as coronavirus vaccination programmes advance.

One side being overly pessimistic and the other being the opposite. 

Unless the South African variant has taken hold in Europe by the summer, I don't see the rationale for refusing travel to the likes of France, Italy or Spain etc. That's overkill. Unless there's a terrible European variant on the go, we can't just keep muttering on about variants as an excuse to deny travel when other measures are also available and are more proportionate. 

There are a number of other possible problems with travel also that the UK has no control over - mandatory PCR testing, proof of vaccination etc. Don't be surprised if the people we were locked down to protect are ironically the only ones that can travel for a couple of months. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Hmmm.........I think that is perhaps a little over optimistic.  I hope they're right though.

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
42 minutes ago, 101 said:
lol. 
How does she propose this is introduced, you can still go on holiday now. 

Can you, where ? And exactly how given we have a stay at home order ?

Boy I know at work is not long back from Cuba, no one stopped him to ask if it's essential. I also know of someone who has just come back from South Africa after seeing friends over there, not sure it's a holiday but not a work trip or anything like that.

They have said don't travel but it's not a ban on international travel (i.e. no planes flying about) which is what Devi is after. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Unless the South African variant has taken hold in Europe by the summer, I don't see the rationale for refusing travel to the likes of France, Italy or Spain etc. That's overkill. Unless there's a terrible European variant on the go, we can't just keep muttering on about variants as an excuse to deny travel when other measures are also available and are more proportionate. 

There are a number of other possible problems with travel also that the UK has no control over - mandatory PCR testing, proof of vaccination etc. Don't be surprised of he people we were locked down to protect are ironically the only ones that can travel for a couple of months. 

Yes, if your £200 3 day city break is suddenly going to cost you £400+ (due to testing / certification etc) and take up 2 weeks of your time, then I think that may put paid to many peoples plans.

Same goes for a "family summer holiday", the £2.5 to 3k turns into £4k or £5k then folk just aren't going to pay it, not to mention all the additional hassle involved and stress of worrying about they and their family members test results.

Maybe something to do with the tweaked vaccines being ready in autumn? I dunno.
I asked a similar question on twitter (why the need for zero covid if we're all jagged) and all the replies (from actual educated people and not shit posting no-marks) gave me nothing new. 
Vaccine that can be escaped from. Presence of vaccine and lack of herd immunity level of coverage makes it more likely dodgy variants will arrive, etc etc etc
Frankly the public aren't going to stand for restrictions if they don't seem to be necessary. Sure, if it all goes tits up there could be a case for bringing them back, but I'd defo want to see the working for those sums
It's the fact it was heralded as the magic bullet, the route out, the beginning of the end etc by a succession of Govt officials when they were announcing the approvals. You can't go making statements like that if they were patently untrue.

It remains to be seen is certainly the line now at best. Not exactly helping anyone already in a fragile state mentally in fact it's downright irresponsible.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We rolled last year’s cancelled holiday with TUI over to this year because they were offering extra bonuses/upgrades.   I’d imagine there will be a lot of that 80% who are in the same category.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's the fact it was heralded as the magic bullet, the route out, the beginning of the end etc by a succession of Govt officials when they were announcing the approvals. You can't go making statements like that if they were patently untrue.

It remains to be seen is certainly the line now at best. Not exactly helping anyone already in a fragile state mentally in fact it's downright irresponsible.

I think the biggest frustration / anger comes from the fact that it comes across that unelected advisors are dictating, rather than advising on, policy.

Devi Sridhar, for example, is perfectly entitled to whatever opinion she holds. But NS doesn't need to do exactly as she says.

You would hope that, after NS placed all her faith in her last year, yet it ultimately made no difference, that she may question her advice this time around, but it comes across that ministers on both sides of the border are reluctant to go against any cautious advice, in case the predictions of doom come true.

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Bang on. 

They'd made such a f**k up that they had to shine themselves up as per by over-egging and over-promising. Now they're having to deal with that. I don't think this toothpaste will get back in the tube though. You can't wave a carrot like that under people's noses and expect them to be like "Oh the government eh, what ARE they like!" and meekly accept backtracking. 

Yes, if your £200 3 day city break is suddenly going to cost you £400+ (due to testing / certification etc) and take up 2 weeks of your time, then I think that may put paid to many peoples plans.
Same goes for a "family summer holiday", the £2.5 to 3k turns into £4k or £5k then folk just aren't going to pay it, not to mention all the additional hassle involved and stress of worrying about they and their family members test results.

I wouldn’t book any travel at the moment, not because the government says so but becuase practically it’s a nightmare, i still have to go to work, where if i catch covid in run up to going away I’d have to isolate and therefore cancel.
Then if the travel was abroad i could get tested on arrival and if positive end up in quarantine potentially for longer than I planned on being away and then have to get home at my own expense and then do another quarantine when i get back
Or the goalposts could be changed whilst I’m away and end up with a 1500 pound bill for some shity airport hotel
Nah , no thanks