Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

A zoom call with John Mason! Just when you thought  all this “end of the world” stuff couldn’t get any worse.

If it was Sean Connery's character from The Rock then that would be tremendous.

They'll open the plague factory schools at the same time as some scapegoat industry for example hairdressers so when the cases sky rocket again it'll be the hairdressers fault and schools are perfectly safe just like last time.

Auckland ordered into a snap 3 day lockdown because of 3 locally transmitted cases. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56059960

Yes they have kept deaths very low with hardline measures but at this point in proceedings, it amazes me that Australia and NZ are going this route instead of actually prioritising a vaccine programme which they don't even plan to start until April. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Auckland ordered into a snap 3 day lockdown because of 3 locally transmitted cases. 

Yes they have kept deaths very low with hardline measures but at this point in proceedings, it amazes me that Australia and NZ are going this route instead of actually prioritising a vaccine programme which they don't even plan to start until April. 

Must be an absolute nightmare for a lot of people these out of the blue full lockdowns. All the gigs/sport events/large gatherings cancelled with zero notice. Things like weddings, how are they dealt with when cancelled at less than 24 hours notice?

Not sure where you get this. Both Aus & NZ will start vaccinations in Feb

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Must be an absolute nightmare for a lot of people these out of the blue full lockdowns. All the gigs/sport events/large gatherings cancelled with zero notice. Things like weddings, how are they dealt with when cancelled at less than 24 hours notice?

True but then they don't have 50,000 dead and Im sure even the most hysterical bride and groom would admit that moving their wedding pales into insignificance.

Being serious it's probably just what happens over that just now and is accepted, no doubt some folk will have put off weddings and such especially if you have family or friends overseas.

9 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:
15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure where you get this. Both Aus & NZ will start vaccinations in Feb

Apologies, I wasn't aware the Aussies had pulled it forward a few weeks. It was planned to start late March/early April but is now mid February for 678,000 people in priority group 1A (mainly border workers, healthcare and carehome staff and residents) between mid Feb and end of March.

After that a further 6.1m vulnerable will be vaccinated out of group 1B but again, priority group 1B is looking to be towards the end of priority group 1A before these are started. So they'll be well into the guts of March before rollout starts. 

Screenshot_20210214_090513_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.805579b383681b353b170564719b88a4.jpg

Screenshot_20210214_090517_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.6439e600ab0af6701ae426e9cb17a390.jpg

We have been any sort of lockdown free since August so I can cope with a 3 day lockdown apart from missing my 7’s game on Wednesday night.

Our vaccine programme is due to start within the next few weeks I think, we have been living a pretty normal life up until we had a few community cases a few weeks back which came to nothing so I’m hoping the same applies. I have my own wedding here in a couple of weeks, we made the call to have a limit of 34 guests so if worst comes to worst then we will drop the numbers to the maximum limit (mother in law will be in the cut list).

12 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

We have been any sort of lockdown free since August so I can cope with a 3 day lockdown apart from missing my 7’s game on Wednesday night.

Our vaccine programme is due to start within the next few weeks I think, we have been living a pretty normal life up until we had a few community cases a few weeks back which came to nothing so I’m hoping the same applies. I have my own wedding here in a couple of weeks, we made the call to have a limit of 34 guests so if worst comes to worst then we will drop the numbers to the maximum limit (mother in law will be in the cut list).

If you go into lockdown the day before and it can’t go ahead, do you lose all of the money spent on venues, suppliers etc?

14 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

You in Oz?

Sco mo proving to be far superior to bo jo

If you go into lockdown the day before and it can’t go ahead, do you lose all of the money spent on venues, suppliers etc?

I’m not sure what would happen but our wedding is very low key and we have used a company that organises everything so it’s basically a pop up wedding and not that expensive. We went for this as we were unsure of the COVID situation and since none of my family from home can make it, it seemed the best idea.

10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Snap 3 or 4 day lockdowns or our shitshow of trying to keep to many people happy at the wrong times, difficult choice. 

It is quite astonishing people in the UK questioning such a thing, while in locked down for nearly 1 year, with over 116,000 deaths and rising.  I'm sure everysingle one of you would bite the hand off to be living the past year as AUS & NZ.

Edited by SlipperyP

6 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

It is quite astonishing people in the UK questioning such a thing, while in locked down for nearly 1 year, with over 116,000 deaths and rising.  I'm sure everysingle one of you would bite the hand off to be living the past year as AUS & NZ.

I'd bite the hand off to be living the past year in Wuhan

We are a complete an utter f**k up country and couldn't say no to a few airline bosses who we went to school with

Edited by Binos

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
13 hours ago, The Stig said:
What your mates wife told you the kids in the coop where not wearing masks as there was no in school example given.  
My school (is) was  masks on at all times when moving in the building and S4 - S6 with masks on in class and it was observed impeccably 

Can I teach in your school?

Forrest Gump could teach at his school.

14 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Think you might be wrong as all certainly wouldn't want to live the next 6 to 12 months like that. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Remember though, life is completely normal in Australia and New Zealand!

They'll be back in prison-like shutdown for months when autumn and winter roll around and cases spike all over the place, just as we should be on the road back to real normality in northern hemisphere summer.

Edited by Elixir