Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think all of those cases will be incredibly mild if there are symptoms at all, but it puts the myth that schools are 'safe' to bed.

If kids can transmit the virus, then they will spread it among classmates, who will take it home to their parents, who will take it to work etc.

Young people being infected is not (and never has been) a problem, but until we get through the entire JCVI 1-9 list, then squashing them into classrooms has the potential to cause issues in those groups further down the line.

I'll be furious if we have to put up with this shit even longer just because we wanted to give parents a wee break a couple of months earlier.

So what's the answer? Keep kids off school all year?  

Home schooling isn't helping kids. It was fine for a while but there are serious and significant side-effects to this. Lockdown is by its very nature unnatural. It was necessary to get the virus under control, but we have to send them back to school as soon as practicable. 

3 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

When was that tweet as the dates don't add up at all.

As its March now they would have us doing all those 30-39 and 18-29 in the same month.

Is it not more likely to be over 50's mid April then go one month on from then for each group.

over 50 this month (March), 30's and 40's next month (April), over 18's May.   Seems fine to me.

When was that tweet as the dates don't add up at all.
As its March now they would have us doing all those 30-39 and 18-29 in the same month.
Is it not more likely to be over 50's mid April then go one month on from then for each group.

It feels pretty realistic as a suggestion. If you kept at the UK rate for first doses from the last 7 days, you would get through every adult by 10th June.

Just got my blue envelope through the door despite being in my 30s with no health condition.  :huh: 

Eta:  ah, it would seem that I do actually have a health condition based on some extremely wide sweeping criteria, which throws me into Group 6 ahead of the 60-65s.  Would certainly explain it, although I've had to reschedule for mid April anyway (by phone seeing as the website was f***ed, which probably surprises nobody).

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Home schooling isn't helping kids. It was fine for a while but there are serious and significant side-effects to this. Lockdown is by its very nature unnatural. It was necessary to get the virus under control, but we have to send them back to school as soon as practicable. 

Children could be sent to school in July and on Saturdays when the pandemic is under control, while much safer sectors of the economy are opened up first. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just got my blue envelope through the door despite being in my 30s with no health condition.  :huh: 

THAT MEANS YOUR DOG IS GETTING STOLEN TONITE BABE!!XX

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Apply the same indoor restrictions across all indoor settings until we have vaccinated the groups required to bin them, yes.

None of this is ideal, but potentially prolonging it for everyone else so children can go into school certainly isn't the answer.

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Supporting Brechin City is now considered a chronic condition, similar to PTSD.

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

over 50 this month (March), 30's and 40's next month (April), over 18's May.   Seems fine to me.

There is no way it will happen that quick.

Tweets like that are just going to cause people to be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

There is no way it will happen that quick.

Tweets like that are just going to cause people to be disappointed. 

why shouldn't it?  It's already been proved that the system can jag enough people to meet that.  the limiting factor over the last few weeks has been the anticipated supply slow down.  That's supposed to be sorted next week.  Scotland will apparently be sitting with 900,000 doses ready to go.

Just now, realmadrid said:

Supply for a start.

When Johnston or Hancock come out and announce a massive increase in supply to allow us to fire through 21 million people in 2 months I will believe it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

Did they not say they'd be hitting 3m a week soon?

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Supply for a start.

When Johnston or Hancock come out and announce a massive increase in supply to allow us to fire through 21 million people in 2 months I will believe it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/covid-vaccine-over-30s-april-20066444

Being reported in multiple outlets.

of which many will need to be second jabs
The crossover wont be that big. If they can get up to millions per week in March by the time appreciable numbers are due their second, the numbers needing their first will have been battered down