Coronavirus (COVID-19)

26 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Very little immunity from previous infection too, and they still persist with the zero covid fantasy.

Absolute freaks.

Their PM seems to be getting some serious shit for their slow vaccine rollout, which is exacerbating this. 

They've seem to have managed to successfully trash the AZ vaccine there, so are basically at the behest of Pfizer and Moderna. Seems like the PM implied the UK was only using AZ as an excuse, but then corrected it in a press statement. 

Thing is, they have had less than 1,000 deaths and have kept confirmed cases to something like 0.25% of their Population. Many countries in Europe are in the 8% ballpark and of course have much higher death tolls. I don't see how Australia realistically can change track here - they took the strict border lockdown and I don't see how they get out of that having gone with it. A figure of, say, 20 deaths a day over a few weeks would probably be enough to topple the government as they simply aren't used to seeing those sorts of figures. 

They've succeeded where we failed in their response to it, but are also really struggling with their exit strategy and will likely be late out of it. Both things can be simultaneously true: a good start does not mean a good ending. 

Edited by Michael W

25 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Glasgow Life can take a flying f**k to themselves. Absolute shambles of an operation, and the only thing the pandemic has done is give them an excuse to execute a plan they had in place anyway

Shambolic or not and if nothing else, Covid has given many an employer the opportunity to rid themselves of the dead wood and reduce overhead to help recover from the loss of revenue during Covid. 

This is only the beginning as furlough ends, along with all those WFH. Just a pitty many a decent worker will be lost along with the dross. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

If they are unable to contain the virus through severe restrictions and have only 8% of the population vaccinated they have not succeeded they are just burying their heads in the sand and hoping it will go away, it won't. Everyone is going to have to live alongside this virus now and this virus is highly contagious and will reach everyone eventually so having restrictions, lockdowns to hide away from the nasty virus only puts off the inevitable as there are always going to be people who will carry it maybe unknowingly and they are like a match in a tinder dry forest. Getting people vaccinated is the only way out of this and reducing this virus for most people down to a mere inconvenience if they catch it.

They've succeeded in suppressing it. There are of course cases happening, but despite these numbers (and they are very low) seemingly causing alarm, I'd consider the situation very much under control. With the best will in the world, I don't see how you prevent cases from happening at all unless you genuinely shut everything. 

They are however making a massive arse of their exit from this and the blame lies squarely with the Government for a poor vaccination strategy and rollout. I agree they are in a very poor position to move out of this. 

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Do B&Q have someone counting at the door to make sure that the 601th customer has to wait.

I take it this is Dundee not Forfar, I was wondering where 600 people would come from to all rush into a B&Q in Forfar all at the same time?

There isn't one in Forfar. Our Asda has a limit of 200 folk but I've no idea how they're tracking that, if at all. 

There isn't one in Forfar. Our Asda has a limit of 200 folk but I've no idea how they're tracking that, if at all. 

Perths Asda hasn’t tracked it since last august when they made you queue up.

Used to be great fun watching people try and skip the queue last year. Great entertainment.

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They've succeeded in suppressing it. There are of course cases happening, but despite these numbers (and they are very low) seemingly causing alarm, I'd consider the situation very much under control. With the best will in the world, I don't see how you prevent cases from happening at all unless you genuinely shut everything. 

They are however making a massive arse of their exit from this and the blame lies squarely with the Government for a poor vaccination strategy and rollout. I agree they are in a very poor position to move out of this. 

I know a couple of folk over there and it seems to flip flop between being the most amazing scenario of beautiful weather, pubs open, folk having fun then a week or two later it's absolute lockdown where they're barely allowed out the house. There's been the absolute mile out takes here where people are saying we should be like Australia but for me it seems like just kicking the can down the road taking that approach. At some point they need to open the borders for tourism because ££££, which means there will be cases. You can't just have rolling lockdowns from now until the end of time. 

On 07/07/2021 at 15:25, betting competition said:

On a positive 7 days ago it was 3,887 of new cases going with your figures 7 days ago :) - so going down slightly 

Case numbers are going to go up, down and sideways. As long as not (too) many people are ending up in hospital/ICU/dying I think we should continue to lift restrictions fairly quickly.

14 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

When I went into our local supermarket last year during the early days of lockdown (when you had to queue outside the supermarket) they had someone at the door with a counter presumably so they could track the number of people inside.  Was in there a few weeks ago and they've sacked that off.

Looks like the tide is turning against the over zealous overly sensitive COVID-19 app.
Reading some of the headlines and people are deleting it, setting themselves freeeeeeee

That assumes folk had it in the first place. I have never downloaded it and don't know many who have.

On 07/07/2021 at 19:32, MP_MFC said:

Motherwell confirming 2k fans for our league cup games…..what pish reason were Hearts giving for only letting in 500?

That's all they could dragoon into going.