Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think the biggest laugh I’ve had in supermarkets was the 2 standing talking and blocking the aisle who went mental when I squeezed past them.

The rules are frustrating enough without all the morons completely incapable of using their common sense or applying simple logic to a given situation.

Very, very, annoying.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I just had an annoying experience in Tesco, there's me approaching the checkout with my basket and couple in front are loading their shopping into bags, wife has trolley in strange position so husband is standing slightly over the yellow and black line, however I proceeded to place my basket at the checkout and start unloading the stuff when supervisor tears over roaring "stop", "get back", "you cannae stand there until it's clear". I just shook my head and muttered at her under my breath, however she then gets asked by till operator "is this still gonnae be like this efter Monday ?" to which she replied, "aah doh no, bit ah hope sae as it's jist no safe".

Honestly..........

A good few shop workers have absolutely loved this power they have had. Mini hitlers losing the rag if someone dared walk up an aisle that was one way only. A little bit extra power will take a long time to lose, so I fully expect them to still act like tossers when social distancing is gone as “they just don’t know!!”

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

They shouldn't have to take the vaccine. They pose zero threat of putting sufficient pressure on the health service while all eligible vulnerable groups have already had the opportunity to get double jabbed. Offering every adult in the country is a valid gesture given that the younger generation had to put up with all the shite of rolling lockdowns for hee-haw improvement in their safety, but that's about it. All the recent frothing hysteria about a lower rate of vaccination among healthy 18-30 year olds is completely misguided. They would soon acquire (or already have) natural immunity at little cost anyway.

When it comes round to booster jabs for a current or similar strain, a competent government should only be giving them to groups defined as vulnerable. At some point very soon we are going to have to treat Covid like a bog-standard disease and apply a rational use of limited public health resources to it, rather than some special, end of the world plague or something that can be eliminated if only we had more restrictions. 

I don't disagree with any of that but extending the offer of vaccination to healthy 16 and 17 year olds isn't exactly some significant departure to offering it to healthy 18, 30, or 40 year olds. They won't be required to get it and the logic behind offering it to them is the same for healthy people in older age groups. Folk are acting as if it's an outrage.

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

A good few shop workers have absolutely loved this power they have had. Mini hitlers losing the rag if someone dared walk up an aisle that was one way only. A little bit extra power will take a long time to lose, so I fully expect them to still act like tossers when social distancing is gone as “they just don’t know!!”

Yes, it's pretty trivial in the bigger picture but things like that really, really annoy me.

It wasn't so much what she said, more the manner in which she said it with the brenda big baws attitude.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Theres also in probably larger number a load of them who’ve been asked to do something they are entirely uncomfortable with, getting abuse, assaulted, filmed and put on the internet for doing something they’ve been forced to do at risk of losing their jobs in the middle of an economic downturn, brexit and the pending mass job losses post furlough. Id be shiting myself in that respect too in these sectors. 

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Theres also in probably larger number a load of them who’ve been asked to do something they are entirely uncomfortable with, getting abuse, assaulted, filmed and put on the internet for doing something they’ve been forced to do at risk of losing their jobs in the middle of an economic downturn, brexit and the pending mass job losses post furlough. Id be shiting myself in that respect too in these sectors. 

Only sorry I can green dot you twice!

The absolute nick of this (again). 

I've noticed a sudden shift in masks in shops here - just after the 19th they were still mostly worn but the tide has definitely turned now and they've been ditched. No way are 76% of people wearing them in shops, that's for sure. Maybe there are a lot of weirdos that think they should be worn, but aren't doing so themselves unless it's brought back in. 

Yeah this. Perhaps we're lucky up here but there's been none of that from the supermarket staff up here, no matter how tempting it must be, considering the way some shoppers behave towards them.

20 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I imagine that going 18 months having to deal with half a dozen middle-aged men acting like children with a "Nippy cannae tell me whit tae dae" attitude, daily, would break anyone.

Just now, Day of the Lords said:
19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeah this. Perhaps we're lucky up here but there's been none of that from the supermarket staff up here, no matter how tempting it must be, considering the way some shoppers behave towards them.

None of it in Inverness either after the first couple weeks of patiently explaining the rules to dunderhieds like me. Most of them have been dropped now, everyone just gives each other a modicum of space, no hassle or one way routes.

32 cases recorded per day last week out of a population of 600k in the Cabo Verde Islands, still on the red list even though they are concentrating their vaccination efforts on Sal & Boa Vista as the main tourist destination islands.
It's absolutely crazy - there's countries on the red list who have much lower infection rates than plague island.

You wonder what it will take for them to shift on international travel - the collapse of another major firm? Because that's where we are heading right now.

They need to lift the mandatory testing restrictions and put far more countries on the green list. Using vaccination rates in other countries to decide the traffic light they should be in is pointless for the double-jagged.

And bin the tests right now for the double-jagged.

6 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I imagine that going 18 months having to deal with half a dozen middle-aged men acting like children with a "Nippy cannae tell me whit tae dae" attitude, daily, would break anyone.

Just now, welshbairn said:

None of it in Inverness either after the first couple weeks of patiently explaining the rules to dunderhieds like me. Most of them have been dropped now, everyone just gives each other a modicum of space, no hassle or one way routes.

Aye, look at the height of it all I did ask people who were basically so close in queues in shops that they were licking me to give me a wee bit of room, largely because as an unvaccinated emergency services worker i was probably more of a risk to them than vice versa. Should have seen the abuse for being polite, so magnify that to every greeter in every asda etc and I think the folks deserve a medal for the shite they have put up with. 

I do hope that maybe people are a wee bit more aware of personal space and stuff after this past 18months. Im no fan of massive restrictions post vaccines and have been pretty outspoken on it, but cannot fathom why anyone would think Margrit at the front entrance of Morrisons is somehow a legitimate target of abuse? Is Margrit a wee bit worried because shes a carer for her mum and is also a grannie who cares for her daughters kids or something and really needs this job to get by? Maybe thats why shes a bit curt or perceived to be? I worked in retail through uni, high end stuff like Hugo Boss and Apple and the shite we got from millionaires and footballers (Evander Sno was the bain of my fucking life at one point), cant imagine what folk in supermarkets have been facing. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

But if they do it until after winter before dropping it as the impact of Covid in general nosedives off a cliff, the Lovejoys are appeased.

Not saying that's right, but they've dug themselves this hole with their mewling about variants.

I don't doubt a lot of it is bedwetter appeasement, but I think as we go through autumn and winter there will be quite a sizeable number of people who are fully vaccinated that end up being stranded abroad just because they have tested positive. I expect this to be a feature in the news if the testing nonsense isn't binned soon.

18 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The absolute nick of this (again). 

I've noticed a sudden shift in masks in shops here - just after the 19th they were still mostly worn but the tide has definitely turned now and they've been ditched. No way are 76% of people wearing them in shops, that's for sure. Maybe there are a lot of weirdos that think they should be worn, but aren't doing so themselves unless it's brought back in. 

Where do you even begin with this ???