Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

From a hypothetical perspective, let's say 10 of us went to Spain on holiday and a couple of us caught covid, would there be anything preventing one healthy member of our party doing the swabs for us all for our pre departure test and same again for the day 2 test ??

Just wondered as surely there's foolproof ways round these idiotic testing rules ??

You could probably get away with it for the day 2 test, unless they can tell it's the same person somehow, unlikely when they're rattling through them at a rate of knots. The pre departure test could be trickier, I was asked for my passport in Portugal when they did the test, and I heard the ones you take with you from home you have to set up a video link for someone in the testing firm to watch you taking the test. Anyway, I don't approve of deliberately carrying covid onto a plane, or anywhere for that matter.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Love this

I see she still hasn't presented any evidence yet. Maybe an unsupportive study will come along again soon and she'll have another flounce about it. 

As a reminder, she claimed that 7-8% of children suffer long covid for up to a year. 

If this was leading to horrific impacts upon children, we would have any number of paediatric doctors telling us all about it. But we aren't. 

And of course, some children will unfortunately suffer from covid quite badly. But this is less than the population as a whole and severe impacts are rare. 

10 minutes ago, superbigal said:

If you test positive in Spain you really think you will be coming home with your mates ?

It’s a measure to be taken seriously as those who break the self-isolation period face €30,000 fines from regional authorities.

In most cases, these Covid quarantine periods last ten days in Spain and are paid for by the tourists themselves.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You could probably get away with it for the day 2 test, unless they can tell it's the same person somehow, unlikely when they're rattling through them at a rate of knots. The pre departure test could be trickier, I was asked for my passport in Portugal when they did the test, and I heard the ones you take with you from home you have to set up a video link for someone in the testing firm to watch you taking the test. Anyway, I don't approve of deliberately carrying covid onto a plane, or anywhere for that matter.

I think you have both misunderstood me, what i'm saying is if you felt a little unwell and thought it COULD be covid and you didn't want / couldn't afford to spend the cash for a 10 day quarantine, would it be possible to get one of your mates to take the swab and put it in your name ??

I have no intentions of doing this I should add, I'm merely asking if it's possible and if so will it not be hugely open to abuse ???

8 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

23 under 16s dead in England due to covid to date. 

45 u16s murdered in 2020. 

Probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch to day that more u16s would have been hospitalised because of violence than covid. 

Surely we need to ban murder ???

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The pre-return test I did was just an upload of the photo of the negative LFT.

Could easily be bypassed although not sure why you would want to. You'd be a bit of a c**t knowingly getting on a plane suffering from covid.

52 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

From a hypothetical perspective, let's say 10 of us went to Spain on holiday and a couple of us caught covid, would there be anything preventing one healthy member of our party doing the swabs for us all for our pre departure test and same again for the day 2 test ??

Just wondered as surely there's foolproof ways round these idiotic testing rules ??

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We did our ‘return to uk tests’ from Malta last week with a company called ‘medicspot’ you take a lateral flow test and send them a picture of the result on a template card which also has your passport placed on top and the test URN printed on it. If you were feloniously minded you absolutely could cheat them. 

There are now two doses of Pfizer in my system, and speaking as a member of the under 30s I'd like to add that I didn't need to be bribed with pizza or TikTok videos or whatever else it is The Kids are into

Maybe you should being a little teachers pet and a w****r and stop bragging so some of us can get a sweet bribe for a second dose we were already going to get

32 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Could easily be bypassed although not sure why you would want to. You'd be a bit of a c**t knowingly getting on a plane suffering from covid.

The point I'm attempting to make is that the tests are far from foolproof and that if anyone was really wanting to bypass / circumvent them, then they quite obviously could.

Does that not make a complete mockery of having them in the first place when every other nation is only requesting proof of vaccination ??

The moral side of this is not in question but how many people can afford morals when thousands of pounds are at stake, not to mention the potential impact on their mental health and that of their families.

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

We did our ‘return to uk tests’ from Malta last week with a company called ‘medicspot’ you take a lateral flow test and send them a picture of the result on a template card which also has your passport placed on top and the test URN printed on it. If you were feloniously minded you absolutely could cheat them. 

The trouble is that the system depends on people being both honest and community-spirited. However, given the laughable level of the "good sense and judgement of the British people" over the months, I'll file that under "Aye, Right". 

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average   272.6 to 277.4 up 1.76%, England  286.9 to 291.9 up 1.74%, Wales 143.9 to 146.9 up 2.08%, Northern Ireland  432.9 to 443.5 up 2.45%

Cases at 23,510 seem quite low today.

146 deaths a large blip ?

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

I suppose it depends on a few things. If I’d been double vaccinated, spent a few grand on a holiday and used up a couple of weeks annual leave at work, and had no symptoms of illness, I don’t think I’d want to risk a false positive lateral flow test so I’d probably just say it was negative. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Got a haircut this morning and didn't have to wear a mask, and I notice that my local Costa now has an extra couple of tables added.

Other than that I'm not seeing any difference at all with 'beyond level 0'. The track and trace is still a right pain in the arse. 

*Warning. ‘Fcuk’ and ‘fcuking’ alert….

Just fcuking once, please, for fcuk sake. Can’t a media outlet or paper, just once, please, publish a positive story without the caveat of some fcuking professor, scientist, or arsehole politician pissing on our chips at the end. Just give us the good news without the late 90th minute sickener ‘Jason Leitch-esque’ GIFUY ending.

Thanks. Fcuk, fcuk, fcuk-eddy fcuking fcuk.

75CDCA31-BE6A-4BED-921E-3ED90EDD0E9F.jpeg

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

*Warning. ‘Fcuk’ and ‘fcuking’ alert….

Just fcuking once, please, for fcuk sake. Can’t a media outlet or paper, just once, please, publish a positive story without the caveat of some fcuking professor, scientist, or arsehole politician pissing on our chips at the end. Just give us the good news without the late 90th minute sickener ‘Jason Leitch-esque’ GIFUY ending.

Thanks. Fcuk, fcuk, fcuk-eddy fcuking fcuk.

75CDCA31-BE6A-4BED-921E-3ED90EDD0E9F.jpeg

Just type "f**k", mate.

4 hours ago, Left Back said:

No digital version at the moment.  you request it through the NHS vaccination site and they send you a paper certificate.

That requires codes and stuff though, does it not?

Not all the letters featured codes.  I had to get certificates sorted for my parents so they could visit my sister in Ireland and it was a struggle.  Eventually, we had to go back to their GP Practice, even though the website explicitly said not to.