Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

To the best of knowledge Up Helly Aa is an outdoor event and ehm we've had vaccines for over a year by that point. Bed shitting of the highest degree *

* I didnt read the article so I may be wrong and it's not cancelled due to covid at all

It looks to be more down to not having enough time to plan it than any restrictions being in place.

I imagine many firework displays / new year street parties may be cancelled for the same reasons.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Even a tiny thing yesterday. Went for a haircut on the basis that walk-ins would be the norm again...WRONG. used same barber for 20+ years and he advised yesterday that they have now permanently altered their business model to appointment only as it had proved a better way to work for him (and according to him) his customers. Had to go back in an hour as that was his 1st appointment. Minuscule in the grand scheme of things but a lasting consequence none the less.

Another one in the appointments are good and you need to get with times Grandad camp.

Why would you want to go back to the old system where you could pop in and have 3 people in front of you so have to sit and wait half an hour.

Better for the barbers aswell as if they know they don’t have any appointments on a quiet Tuesday morning or something, they can just go in to their shop later saving on Electricity and Heating etc instead of going in and opening at 0900 and sitting twiddling their thumbs until someone finally walks in at like 1030.

Bad dead arm today lads, much worse than the first jag.  Had the same GP as last time and it felt like he punched the fucking needle into my arm this time.

Another one in the appointments are good and you need to get with times Grandad camp.
Why would you want to go back to the old system where you could pop in and have 3 people in front of you so have to sit and wait half an hour.
Better for the barbers aswell as if they know they don’t have any appointments on a quiet Tuesday morning or something, they can just go in to their shop later saving on Electricity and Heating etc instead of going in and opening at 0900 and sitting twiddling their thumbs until someone finally walks in at like 1030.
I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, Just hadn't appreciated it would be the norm since it was no longer mandated. Really doesn't bother me now I know.

28 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Only I wouldn't pop in if the shop was crowded, I'd go in early on that quiet Tuesday morning when I knew there'd be no queue....

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Bad dead arm today lads, much worse than the first jag.  Had the same GP as last time and it felt like he punched the fucking needle into my arm this time.

Vigorous masturbation will have that cleared up in a few days. 

1,542 new cases of COVID-19 reported (1525 yesterday, 1250 one week ago)

25,581 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

6.6% of these were positive (5.2% yesterday, 5.5% one week ago)

8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (8 yesterday, 7 one week ago)

41 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (42 yesterday, 54 one week ago)

353 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (356 yesterday, 367 one week ago)

4,044,950 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,412,051 have received their second dose

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

1,542 new cases of COVID-19 reported (1525 yesterday, 1250 one week ago)

25,581 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

6.6% of these were positive (5.2% yesterday, 5.5% one week ago)

8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (8 yesterday, 7 one week ago)

41 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (42 yesterday, 54 one week ago)

353 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (356 yesterday, 367 one week ago)

4,044,950 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,412,051 have received their second dose

Still testing 0.5% of the entire population each day is ridiculous.

Either we trust the vaccines to reduce the impact on the health service, in which case we should be moving away from mass testing and worrying about people who aren't actually ill (focusing instead on treating those seriously ill and improving infection control in our hospitals), or we don't and should stop pushing the vaccines as being the reason we are able to "move beyond level zero"

This somewhere in between state is really no good for anything.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - Shetland's Up Helly Aa fire festival called off for 2022
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-58198360

Also bear in mind it's been declared over on here umpteen times as far back as last summer. Not one of those bold predictions have been right so far. It will be over when it's over, don't think anyone predicting when is doing so with anything concrete to back it up, all just optimistic / pessimistic guess work. It might take 8 months or it might be years no one can predict what's going to happen with any certainty.

No, we can have absolute certainty that the pandemic is coming to an end, not least because of the vaccination program, ~93% of the population with detectable antibodies, the relative lack of strain on the health service, and from the general timeline of all previous comparable pandemics. The Vikings cancelling New Year activities that have to be organised well in advance is not an indicator of this.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Looks like 'continued uncertainty' has put the brakes on Up Hilly Aa until 2023.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/08/13/lerwick-up-helly-aa-postponed-to-2023/

Always something I wanted to see, never been to the Northern Isles.

Again, this is not an indicator of the pandemic not ending, and especially not by next summer. 😄

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Not for much of the rest of the world, but I'm optimistic we could be coming to the end in the UK since there is nothing else incoming. However I'm thinking more of the legacy and what restrictions will still be in place in the name of the new normal and uncertainty.

Going by your previous posts I would assume we are on the same page here in wanting all restrictions in the bin as soon as possible including the incoming vaccination status apps if they are going to be used for domestic purposes?

It's quite simple really. People lose interest and move on - it's already starting to happen.

Posted at 10:02

Gatwick boss calls for removal of testing requirements for travel9a34a3b5-6af9-46eb-8cff-b27710fcec37.jpg

Copyright: PA Media

The boss of Gatwick Airport says the airport will recover, despite multi-million pound losses in the past six months, but adds the government needs to "act now" to allow travel to resume "more freely".

While the airport has remained open, a collapse in passenger demand and government restrictions have led to pre-tax losses of £204m across the first half of the 2021.

In a statement, CEO Steve Wingate thanks Gatwick staff "for their hard work and fortitude throughout what has no doubt been the most challenging six months the airport has witnessed".

He adds: "In the UK we are all emerging to enjoy more freedoms due to our world class vaccination programme - however we are in danger of squandering the advantage.

"Our government needs to act now and remove unnecessary and costly PCR testing requirements for passengers, particularly for those double vaccinated.

"UK travel recovery should not be allowed to lag behind the US and Europe.

"Passengers need the travel rules simplified so they can choose to travel more freely and enjoy much needed breaks and reunions with family and friends."

6 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Still a bit tired 2 days post Moderna shot II. Yesterday was horrible. 

I also had 6 pints on Wednesday night but it was definitely the vaccine's fault. #NewNormal

Could just be a hangover but my money's on long covid. 

Daily Cases Update:  Day 7 in a row of case rises up 2% to 158.8  Cases will rise again tomorrow by another 2.5%

This clearly is our own 4th wave of infection. Cases reported last 3 days point to us getting up to around 190 cases per 100K within a week.  Infectivity will also rise to circa 6.5%.  Hopefully this will then level out.

Dumfries central still has case rates of 1,100 per 100K. The proportionality higher Tory Face lickers actually have 15% of all cases in D&G.   Fort William has an even more impressive 22.5% of Highland cases.  in the West Kilbirnie & Dalry account for a table topping 25% of North Ayrshire infections.

Figures for Jags  1st Vaccines excellent  again 4,806 to 5,724 so still holding up via the 16-17 year olds. This also takes us over 90% of adults.   2nd vaccines stable from 18,376 to 18,151

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 4th August to 10th August were 8,680 now 8,836 up 1.80%, Positivity was 5.9% now 5.9%.  Cases per 100K were 158.8 now 161.7  

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  285.1 to 288.3 up 1.12%, England  299.2 to 302.2 up 1.00%, Wales 153.8 to 155.8 up 1.30%, Northern Ireland   464.0 to 474.5 up 2.26%

In Europe for travellers   France 249.1 to 252.3,  Ireland 233.6 to 238.4, Spain 246.5 to 238.0, Greece 202.4 to 210.3, Portugal 155.8 to 157.1, These are still the only main countries over 120 cases per 100K  Been these countries for weeks.  Only country surging/approaching from lower levels is Switzerland at 119.9 up 76% in last week. 

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

East Lothian 264.1 to 267.8

North Ayrshire  221.2 to 230.2  9th day in a row of rises. Kilbirnie & Dalry riddled.

North Lanarkshire   214.0 to 226.6 

South Lanarkshire 226.0 to 225.7 

West Dunbartonshire 218.5 to 216.2 

Fife   194.6 to 194.1  

Inverclyde   157.0 to 177.8  Up over 13%

Dumfries & Galloway  180.7 to 167.2  

East Renfrewshire   167.6 to 164.5

Glasgow City  155.1 to 163.3  Rising at twice the average.

City Of Edinburgh   157.3 to 159.6

Clackmannanshire  126.7 to 156.0  here they go again. Up 67% in 2 days!! Sauchie for umpteenth time.

Renfrewshire   153.9 to 155.5

Highlands   149.5 to 152.9

East Ayrshire   148.8 to 152.1

Argyll & Bute   125.2 to 149.8  Up Near 20%

South Ayrshire 144.5 to 146.2

Midlothian   163.2 to 142.8 Down excellent 12.5%

West Lothian  141.4 to 141.4

Falkirk   123.3 to 134.5

Scottish  Borders  145.8 to 134.5

Stirling   144.6 to 133.9

East Dunbartonshire   126.9 to 133.3

Dundee City 118.3 to 123.6 

Aberdeenshire   129.6 to 122.3  

Perth & Kinross   98.7 to 110.6  Up near 20% in 2 days

Aberdeen City  109.6 to 106.5

Angus   88.9 to 94.1   

Moray  80.5 to 87.8 

Shetland Islands   65.6 to 56.8

Orkney Islands  49.1 to 49.1

Western Isles    49.1 to 49.1  

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

The natives are beating their war drums. Shots fired.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/13/motorhomes-and-caravans-banned-from-stand-by-scottish-ferries

Motorhomes and caravans banned from standby Scottish ferries

Policy follows surge in complaints from islanders after services booked out for months by holidaymakers

CalMac, the state-owned ferry company, has decided motorhomes, camper vans and caravans will only be allowed on their services if they have a confirmed reservation, in a bid to placate furious islanders.

The new policy follows a surge in the number of complaints to CalMac and Scottish ministers about a crisis affecting ferry services this year, following a series of breakdowns, cancellations and significant constraints on passenger numbers due to the Covid pandemic.

Scottish islands and picturesque holiday destinations, including the North Coast 500 tourism route, have become a magnet for motorhome holidaymakers, many of whom are driving them for the first time on Scotland’s narrow and windy rural roads.

Many popular ferry services have been fully booked for months by Britons choosing UK holidays rather than going abroad, preventing islanders, businesses and sports teams from visiting the mainland for essential trips and fixtures.

CalMac said its ban on motorhomes and caravans from waiting in often long standby queues was to free up space for islanders who needed to make urgent or short-notice journeys, and to prevent roads and terminals becoming clogged by large vehicles.

Islanders who own motorhomes or caravans and are travelling to and from home will be exempt. The company said the policy had been cleared by the Scottish government. The Caravan and Motorhome Club refused to comment.

Alasdair Allan, the MSP for the Western Isles, applauded the decision. “I have been receiving reports of motorhomes parking in the standby queues at ports overnight, exploiting the fact they are able to sleep in their vehicles and queue ahead of everyone else.

“This isn’t what the turn-up-and-go tickets are supposed to be for, and I am glad to see this particular loophole closed.”

Finlay MacRae, the head of operations for CalMac, said: “To prioritise customers without alternative accommodation and to optimise deck space motorhomes, camper vans and vehicles towing caravans will no longer be given a standby or waitlist position on all bookable routes.

“Restricting larger vehicles in standby lanes will allow us to make the best use of any remaining space for smaller vehicles, whose occupants may not have alternative options available for accommodation.”

There have been unverified reports of motorhomes being attacked in parts of the Highlands. A Perth-based motorhomes rental firm advised its customers this week to avoid the North Coast 500 after tyres were slashed on two of its vehicles, and eggs and yoghurt thrown at others.

This is a very good idea, if anyone is suited to waiting for a later ferry or even one the next day then it's motorhome users.

I don’t have a problem booking a gents haircut instead of just walking in. I book restaurants, dentist appointments, many other things, no issues there personally. The biggest problem will be folk making an appointment, but don’t turn up, don’t bother cancelling to allow someone else to get the time. Another few things I think should remain - permanently ditch self-service breakfast buffets in hotels. Manky basturts’ spilling baked beans into the scrambled eggs, snotty kids picking up a hash brown before deciding they don’t want it, or any number of grotty behaviours when folk are let loose like feeding time at the zoo. 

Current British Airways disembarkation process. Instead of every chunt undoing their seatbelt and starting to leave their seat before the plane has even stopped, much less been attached to the airbridge, now everyone stays seated and they do it in rows of ten at a time. It works, it’s quicker, we aren’t all standing up squashed together in the aisle trying to extracate hand luggage from the overhead bins, despite not being able to go anywhere anyway.

There wil be a few other positives I haven’t thought of yet. Minor things maybe, but if they actually work better?

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I know it's the Express but it is also Simon Calder and Paul Charles who are usually good about these things.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1475417/Travel-holidays-traffic-light-rules-scrapped-quarantine-testing-september-october

“I think we might see the traffic light system effectively being scrapped particularly with thankfully vaccination rates in the UK now being so high,” Simon explained.

"It will just be assumed that everyone is vaccinated and therefore wherever you are going, perhaps with a relatively small list of places, you won't need to quarantine.”

He continued: “I just think for the UK the game is up."

“We have had such incredibly laboured explanations as to why places have been moved from one category to another which don't quite seem to tally with reality."

“I think everyone is just exhausted and if they can just say basically go where you like but you are going to be tested and you have got to be fully jabbed I think that would be [it].”

While co-host Paul Charles, CEO of the PC Agency, said he “agreed” change is set to come, he believes “October 1” will be the key date.

“I think it could come on October 1, which is the next milestone date in the review of the travel Task Force,” he said.

“They always need to announce something at these big reviews.”

“Some have been arguing, including myself, that we should follow the US system outbound, which is essentially that you let your fully jabbed citizens go wherever they are allowed to go, and then just take a pre-departure test when they come back to the US and not have to quarantine,” he said.

“If it works for the US it should work here."

“[We have the] same vaccines. Maybe not AstraZeneca but certainly Pfizer and Moderna."

“The US is getting on with it. They have found this happy medium between the health priorities and the economic needs that all the airlines and travel industry need.”

Simon Calder has been wrong on every single traffic light prediction. Paul Charles has an even worse record. Hey even a broken clock gets the time right but he’s not as clued in as he portrays. Consider him the travel journalist version of Devi.