Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

Which boring nerd decided on utterly shite names like Delta and Omicron for the variants ?

What was wrong with naming them normally like they do with hurricanes and storms ?

Diseases are normally named after the place where they are first detected.  For example the River Ebola in Africa or Lyme, Connecticut.

If you do that with Covid, the media makes out that that place is somehow responsible.  "Let's blame the Chinese for the Wuhan variant, Let blame South Africa for the South Africa variant".

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can I ask why the SNP not being your government of choice has affected your view on Independence? 

My drive for independence has been nothing but hardened through this so I'm keen to hear what others feel. 

I've said a bit on this. 

The disdain the pandemic has given me for the SNP has me questioning whether Indy is worth the amount of SNP I have to swallow to get the vote I want. 

2 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Simply not true.

England requires no use of vaccine passports to enter nightclubs or large events.

Face mask theatre still not required in hospitality or places of leisure either.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’ll be very surprised if passports are not extended ‘as the only alternative to lockdown to keep people safe’.

And of course, the main concern is the vaccines will be less effective. These clowns truly believe we zip up the back.

16 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

Which boring nerd decided on utterly shite names like Delta and Omicron for the variants ?

What was wrong with naming them normally like they do with hurricanes and storms ?

Greek alphabet? Language of ancient medicine? Or just fans of the Transformers?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I've said a bit on this. 

The disdain the pandemic has given me for the SNP has me questioning whether Indy is worth the amount of SNP I have to swallow to get the vote I want. 

I find that utterly mental, given that the alternative is to continue in this union of bigots voting for the worst people on earth, but I respect your opinion. 

I don't want the SNP running an Independent Scotland but I'd far rather they were than the Tories running us from Westminster.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I've said a bit on this. 

Also, as the left have been a fucking disgrace throughout, it has made me utterly disillusioned and politically homeless, essentially.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I've said a bit on this. 

Completely agree.

I keep hearing the argument that we can vote them out when we are independent, but I’m afraid of what they could do in the period till they are replaced, if at all.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I find that utterly mental, given that the alternative is to continue in this union of bigots voting for the worst people on earth, but I respect your opinion. 

I don't want the SNP running an Independent Scotland but I'd far rather they were than the Tories running us from Westminster.

I mean, I still vote Yes in the event of the referendum. I just dont know if I can swallow putting a vote in an SNP box in the meantime. Its a fucking hard call tbh. 

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Completely agree.

I keep hearing the argument that we can vote them out when we are independent, but I’m afraid of what they could do in the period till they are replaced, if at all.

Or who they're replaced with. It certainly doesn't appear that it would be a party that are less likely to indulge in 'care more' pandemic theatre.

1 minute ago, CheeseBurger said:

But if you don't get the vote you want, you'll have to swallow a permanent amount of Boris Johnson and his replacements. 

Either way, open wide. 

The Tories are snakes, and yet since 19 July - and even now they still have less restrictions - I would rather be living down south than up here. How do you square that circle, as left-leaning parties practically view it as a crime that England enjoyed such freedom. Give me full pre-pandemic normality back, otherwise nothing else will truly matter until that point.

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Completely agree.

I keep hearing the argument that we can vote them out when we are independent, but I’m afraid of the what they could do in the period till they are replaced, if at all.

I'm more than a bit concerned about what the Tories will do with my human rights under our current arrangement, but fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I mean, I still vote Yes in the event of the referendum. I just dont know if I can swallow putting a vote in an SNP box in the meantime. Its a fucking hard call tbh. 

I understand this - I've only ever voted for the SNP once (to unseat Jackie Baillie). 

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Also, as the left have been a fucking disgrace throughout, it has made me utterly disillusioned and politically homeless, essentially.

This is where I am mate. Those who my entire life I've broadly agreed with, who have, since about May, been calling for lockdowns, vax passports, facemasks in every location they can think of...all because, really, they are just thick and genuinely don't really know the effectiveness of these actions. 

The single biggest issue, politically, for my life for now and for the foreseeable is covid. The tories, it pains me to say, have aligned with my views and have called it perfectly for the last few months. That pains me to say but if there were a general election tomorrow I wouldn't think twice about voting for them. They are the only party I vaguely agree with on by far the single biggest issue in my life

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Diseases are normally named after the place where they are first detected.  For example the River Ebola in Africa or Lyme, Connecticut.

If you do that with Covid, the media makes out that that place is somehow responsible.  "Let's blame the Chinese for the Wuhan variant, Let blame South Africa for the South Africa variant".

I think we should have kept "Kent", bunch of hops picking wankers.

It's amusing seeing charlatans like Ding and other UK 'public health' legends rowing back on the travel ban rhetoric. I wonder if the disdain and shame coming out of South Africa has anything to do with it?

Remember though, Welshbairn reckons it could buy us some time, rather than simply condemning the dog whistling that Sturgeon jumped in with two feet for again, to no real surprise.

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can I ask why the SNP not being your government of choice has affected your view on Independence? 

My drive for independence has been nothing but hardened through this so I'm keen to hear what others feel. 

It’s been covered by a few already, but essentially whilst my ultimate dream/aim is to be independent but have someone else other than the SNP run the country, I am genuinely terrified at the prospect of them having control for a period after independence happens. People are quick to say they’d cease to exist, but I’m not at all convinced by that argument, and the idea of them having full control bizarrely has become a worse thought than Tories controlling us. I have always despised the Tories and opposed near enough everything they stand for, but the most pressing issue at present is pandemic response, and somehow the SNP have managed to present a worse case of how they’d handle it.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

but the most pressing issue at present is pandemic response, and somehow the SNP have managed to present a worse case of how they’d handle it.

An independent Scotland under the SNP in this pandemic, would have been the NZ / Australia of Europe imo. A frightening thought.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s been covered by a few already, but essentially whilst my ultimate dream/aim is to be independent but have someone else other than the SNP run the country, I am genuinely terrified at the prospect of them having control for a period after independence happens. People are quick to say they’d cease to exist, but I’m not at all convinced by that argument, and the idea of them having full control bizarrely has become a worse thought than Tories controlling us. I have always despised the Tories and opposed near enough everything they stand for, but the most pressing issue at present is pandemic response, and somehow the SNP have managed to present a worse case of how they’d handle it.

This terrifies me. 

Just now, Abdul_Latif said:

An independent Scotland under the SNP in this pandemic, would have been the NZ / Australia of Europe imo. A frightening thought.

This is a genuine thought I just had upon reading that, but I think the SNP in full, automomous control of pandemic response would have made me want to leave Scotland. 

42 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Fun fact: using this logic, the Spanish flu should really be called something like 'American Midwest flu'.