Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is why he thinks he's a genius. 

Because he thinks everyone else is a complete moron. I guess it's not entirely unjustified given the number of his supporters he must have met. 

He's also had years of running companies with no-one ever questioning his decisions or pointing out the inconsistency of his statements. He thinks what he says will be accepted by wider society in the same way. To be fair he's right to an extent because his target market would have drank bleach then accepted his retraction and shot the person that sold the bleach.

9 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

B&M in Greenock sells drink, no hard liquor though. It also sells 6x4 ft canvases of the New York skyline and 6 pairs of terry towelling socks for £2.

Is that a single purchase?

We were delighted to welcome a second, Scottish Government, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) charter flight today, operated by AirBridgeCargo . This vital cargo will continue to help and protect Scotland's health care workers with the fight against Covid-19.

No ambiguity or double speak about getting PPE delivered.  Scottish Govt. Getting it done.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Aren't approved alcohol licenses given out to premises rather than to an entire company by the local councils?

You'd be correct. But they don't sell alcohol so wouldn't seek one, for any of their premises.

50 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

"Richard Horton, the editor of The Lancet medical journal, tweeted: "If it is true that Dominic Cummings attended meetings of Sage, then the government led by Boris Johnson has utterly corrupted independent scientific advice.""

I'm still not sure I understand what the huge problem is with this. I don't like Cummings at all, but why would the chief advisor be barred from attending  a meeting?

Edited by bendan

1 minute ago, bendan said:

I'm still not sure I understand what the huge problem is with this. I don't like Cummings at all, but why would the chief advisor be barred from attending  a meeting?

Because it is supposed to offer science led advice with no political spin.  The presence of a spin doctor (no pun intended) compromises impartiality.

Has any journalist at the SG briefings asked why our testing numbers don't seem to be increasing? Went up a bit Thursday but back to around 1200 yesterday IIRC, which is where we were two or three weeks ago. They need to be testing all patients coming out of hospitals, as that seems to be a big route for the virus getting into care homes.

Just now, bendan said:

Has any journalist at the SG briefings asked why our testing numbers don't seem to be increasing? Went up a bit Thursday but back to around 1200 yesterday IIRC, which is where we were two or three weeks ago. They need to be testing all patients coming out of hospitals, as that seems to be a big route for the virus getting into care homes.

I’ve stopped watching the briefings.  Too many journalists asking softball questions, and the ones asking probing questions aren’t getting answers anyway.

I’m not alone.  I’m assuming the 51% who think Johnson is doing a great job aren’t watching these briefings either.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Because it is supposed to offer science led advice with no political spin.  The presence of a spin doctor (no pun intended) compromises impartiality.

I can understand the problem with him offering scientific advice at a SAGE meeting, I just don't get why it's considered outrageous that the government's chief advisor attends the meeting. It would be more alarming, surely, if he's giving his advice without having attended briefings by the scientists. When you look at things like PPE provision and care home deaths, this seems a complete sideshow to me.

10 minutes ago, bendan said:

He takes his data harvesting guru from the Vote Leave campaign along with him. Their speciality is manipulation, not finding truth.