Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

EPL going full steam ahead with the "treat us differently cos money" agenda

Yes, I'm a bit perplexed to hear that Arsenal have reopened their training centre and grounds for "players coming in to train alone", .

Have I missed something ?

I thought the law was that you had only to leave the house for "essential travel" or if you were a "key worker" ??

Are EPL footballers now deemed to be "key workers" ???

It's no wonder things are starting to unravel with all the double standards and inconsistencies emanating from our government.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I see the press aren't going to get to ask any / some(?) questions during the daily briefing, instead the public will be suggesting questions which yougov will then select to be asked. 

Not a great look imo

No hard questioning then, can't have any difficult questions for Boris. 

Yes, I'm a bit perplexed to hear that Arsenal have reopened their training centre and grounds for "players coming in to train alone", .
Have I missed something ?
I thought the law was that you had only to leave the house for "essential travel" or if you were a "key worker" ??
Are EPL footballers now deemed to be "key workers" ???
It's no wonder things are starting to unravel with all the double standards and inconsistencies emanating from our government.

One of the arguments I seen for this was players were unable to exercise in parks etc over fears of the public approaching them.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

One of the arguments I seen for this was players were unable to exercise in parks etc over fears of the public approaching them.

Yes, because they all stay in high flats or tenements and don't have access to either a garden or exercising equipment.

Anyway, who the Hell do they think they are.

Being honest I'm the type that thinks, well, if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me, and I'd doubt if I'm alone in that.

29 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Tbf that was never the law. You were allowed to travel to work if it was not possible to work from home.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Tbf that was never the law. You were allowed to travel to work if it was not possible to work from home.

But, you were only supposed to be at work in the first place if that work was deemed to be "essential".

English Premiership fitba is NOT "essential", despite what some appear to believe.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

But, you were only supposed to be at work in the first place if that work was deemed to be "essential".

English Premiership fitba is NOT "essential", despite what some appear to believe.

Nobody has said that, just that social distance should be preserved if you can't work from home.

Edited by welshbairn

37 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, because they all stay in high flats or tenements and don't have access to either a garden or exercising equipment.

A lot of them do, particularly in big cities.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody has said that, just that social distance should be preserved if you can't work from home.

That's not the way I've heard it.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

For the most part, in this crisis, the players and owners of the EPL have revealed themselves to be greedy, and self-obsessed.

Not too much changed there.

It's always been "you should only go to work if it isn't possible to work from home". An essential journey includes travelling to and from work, the work itself doesn't need to be essential. Although lots of companies who were saying their work was essential sent out covering letters so people could produce them if stopped by the police (which happened a few times in first work or so but seems to not be happening now?). And people wonder why folk get confused.

That's not the way I've heard it.

See point 4. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Edit - You could argue that seeing as players would be training in a social distancing manner it's not unreasonable to think there's no need for them to be gathering at their training ground.

5 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

As a football fan, I'd be delighted if some/all of the top leagues started back fairly soon. I couldn't care less if they were given special treatment compared to your average joe in an office.

It would provide some much needed light relief as well as being symbolic that we are turning the tide on the virus.

It's not even special treatment, just access to their place of work. The stuff people make a fuss about at the moment is mad.

Edited by welshbairn