Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not missing your point at all.

I'm merely recognising the essential chauvanism behind it.

I must be reading this wrong.

You think it’s chauvinist for a country to be governed by its own government?  

20 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I'm a primary teacher in Edinburgh, and while they are lots of things being looked at by the governments (probably under pressure from frustrated parents) there are just too many obstacles and I get the feeling councils and unions aren't too chuffed about the idea.  

For example, in my class I have two children with additional needs that are so severe they are 1:1 support and would be totally unable to socially distance.  If I was to say they can't come back in June then technically I would be discriminating against them due to a disability.  The younger pupils wouldn't understand social distancing, and what would happen if we allowed older pupils back?  Half classes in the morning, half in the afternoon?  How do we sort who comes when?  Would some pupils require sheltering and how do we effectively teach them at the same pace as those in class as to ensure there attainment gap doesn't wider further?  So many problems for the sake of what would only be 3 or 4 weeks.

I actually would much rather we were in school, of course.  I've had next to no feedback from the majority of families and I worry about the state of their education come August. The councils also keep putting obstacles in our way regarding how we can interact (no twitter, zoom or video calls...) and while this happened fairly quickly, the schools and councils were not prepared for distance learning.  

Thanks for your reply.

I can only use my own experience - I have a 5 year old son whose brain must be turning to mush with all this.

I guess having two children with special needs is fairly atypical? I'm certainly not aware of a similar situation in my son's school.

If we were to follow England's lead with June 1st (I know full well we won't) that's still a few weeks away giving us plenty time to get things set up for going forward. I suspect the same issues that would exist in early June will still be there in late August - somewhere along the line we're going to have to go for it, so I'd have thought June 1st would be achievable. 

We've been very pro-active with his schooling, eased no doubt by a pro-active teacher. That said she replies to the on-line tasks she sets him very quickly, making me wonder just how many replies she gets herself from the other kids / parents.

I'm surprised to hear you're not allowed to use Twitter. The schools here (Falkirk) have quite a big Twitter presence.

Anyway, as I said before just my own opinion. Also a wee word of thanks for teaching the nation's kids (from experience of the last six weeks, it can't be easy!)

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Absolutely correct.  You are reading this wrong(ly).

Read it back.

Have, still getting the same interpretation.  I’ll put it down to my inability to comprehend.

13 hours ago, GordonS said:

Around 1,800 people are killed on the UK's roads every year and 25,00 are seriously injured.

That could be reduced to a handful if the speed limit were 20 mph.

What do you think the speed limit should be?

@Speroni*1 had no reply to that other than a red dot. I'm going to say that thinking isn't his/her strong suit.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

@Speroni*1 had no reply to that other than a red dot. I'm going to say that thinking isn't his/her strong suit.

No, I thought it was a fucking horrific analogy so didn't bother replying.

Comparing a disease to driving speeds.

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Thanks for your reply.

I can only use my own experience - I have a 5 year old son whose brain must be turning to mush with all this.

I guess having two children with special needs is fairly atypical? I'm certainly not aware of a similar situation in my son's school.

If we were to follow England's lead with June 1st (I know full well we won't) that's still a few weeks away giving us plenty time to get things set up for going forward. I suspect the same issues that would exist in early June will still be there in late August - somewhere along the line we're going to have to go for it, so I'd have thought June 1st would be achievable. 

We've been very pro-active with his schooling, eased no doubt by a pro-active teacher. That said she replies to the on-line tasks she sets him very quickly, making me wonder just how many replies she gets herself from the other kids / parents.

I'm surprised to hear you're not allowed to use Twitter. The schools here (Falkirk) have quite a big Twitter presence.

Anyway, as I said before just my own opinion. Also a wee word of thanks for teaching the nation's kids (from experience of the last six weeks, it can't be easy!)

Worth saying btw, we're one of the very few countries in the world in which a 5 year old would be in school anyway. If he misses a few months of formal schooling and you do some other cool stuff with him instead, it won't hinder him in the slightest.

Not sure if this has already been posted.

Coronavirus: Older people will 'rebel and risk prison' if forced to be locked down longer

Lock them up and stop their pensions.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-older-people-will-rebel-and-risk-prison-if-forced-to-be-locked-down-longer-11982459

Thanks for your reply.
Your kids brains will not be affected if you're taking some time during the day to engage with them.

School work is so overrated at that age. Aye get them doing a wee bit of writing practice, and read a book together every day (20 minute sessions at a time, no more) - but the real key to children's development is to engage them as much as possible in your normal daily activities.

Get them in the kitchen cooking with you. Get them helping with chores. Plant a few seeds together, and make sure you water them regularly. Whatever it is, engage their wee brains and show an interest in them.

I'm loving the quality time I'm spending with my two during all this. We (usually). make a plan up in the morning, with plenty of free play on it. That allows me and the missus to have breaks from them, and get some work done ourselves. But the quality time with them is a lovely benefit during this crisis.

Just now, Speroni*1 said:

You have absolutely confirmed my point.

A thinking person would have understood the analogy - that we compromise safety in the name of economics or convenience all the time, that it's never an absolute and there is always a balance to be struck. That's why we don't have a hospital in every town, an oncologist for every cancer patient, backwards-facing seats on planes and a 20mph speed limit on country roads.

Here's something else to consider - all over Europe the excess mortality among children has fallen during the pandemic. This is likely because they're not getting run over by cars. There's no question that this lockdown is saving lives. So when the virus threat is gone, should we maintain the restrictions?

iF iT sAvEs OnE lIfE...

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

You control the transmission of this disease and thus the daily death rate by social distancing measures, you control the death rate on the roads by speed limits. If you insist on as close to zero deaths as possible the measures and limits will be extreme, it's a relevant analogy. 

Just now, GordonS said:

You have absolutely confirmed my point.

A thinking person would have understood the analogy - that we compromise safety in the name of economics or convenience all the time, that it's never an absolute and there is always a balance to be struck. That's why we don't have a hospital in every town, an oncologist for every cancer patient, backwards-facing seats on planes and a 20mph speed limit on country roads.

Here's something else to consider - all over Europe the excess mortality among children has fallen during the pandemic. This is likely because they're not getting run over by cars. There's no question that this lockdown is saving lives. So when the virus threat is gone, should we maintain the restrictions?

iF iT sAvEs OnE lIfE...

Then you clearly didn't understand mines.

It's a perfectly reasonable analogy when discussing the wider impact on society, versus saving people's lives.

I would hate to be in the government's position right now, as the decisions they'll have to make are extremely difficult ones. But a balance has to be found, in order to get ourselves out of this as quickly but as safely as possible.

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But Westminster is run by fucknuggets so he’s got a case

Suggesting that Scotland could do better than everywhere else is exceptionallism. Suggesting that it could do better than Boris isn’t

The SNP are doing okay but there’s no way that the Scottish parliament has the best politicians. Across all parties.

Sturgeon and a few others are of high quality but there’s not a huge amount below. The SNP have been put on a pedestal by their fans despite them losing the independence vote and being the only real electable party in Scotland due to labours ineptitude.

There’re not really some sort of silver bullet that will fix all our problems and would likely be just as inept as anyone else if they were given full power.

With petrol prices skydiving some of their arguments are non existent.

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But Westminster is run by fucknuggets so he’s got a case

Suggesting that Scotland could do better than everywhere else is exceptionallism. Suggesting that it could do better than Boris isn’t

Yes, but his argument wasn't particularly grounded in the current situation regarding the government in place at Westminster.  It was instead saying that bad government from here would always be preferable to any kind of government centred elsewhere.

It's a legitimate enough view, but I don't see it as hugely removed in nature, from the flag waving VE Day stuff that gets rightly derided on here.

Almost an entire care home in Skye now has it, and half the staff. 

This comes after the total new cases here has sky rocketed. 

Past the peak indeed.