Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Very few and probably none but that wasn't the point. The human race is very good, some would say too good at replacing itself. 

This pandemic is a minor blip in our population growth. If we extend the lockdown  for too long the resulting deaths from other causes could be far worse. How many undiagnosed cancer or heart disease cases will there be? How many suicides? 

We're not even in a proper lockdown. We've been strongly advised to stay inside but can more or less go out whenever we like and do whatever we like. People aren't being forced to stay in their houses therefore risking their suicide etc. France, Spain had proper lockdown. I'm 12 weeks shielding and have been up to my dad's a number of times for with shopping, to sit 3m away from him out the back to stop him from going crazy (all he does is watch sport and my mum died in August so he needs the company). Anyway, at no point has anyone, official or otherwise, intimated that I must stay in my house. From what I can tell, most businesses down the street are open. We are being advised to stay in the house. It's a minor inconvenience. 

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Very few and probably none but that wasn't the point. The human race is very good, some would say too good at replacing itself. 

This pandemic is a minor blip in our population growth. If we extend the lockdown  for too long the resulting deaths from other causes could be far worse. How many undiagnosed cancer or heart disease cases will there be? How many suicides? 

Cancer doctors already concerned about the reduction in/elimination of testing.

Proper pandemic planning would allow such needs to be addressed.

52 minutes ago, renton said:

Have to agree here. The Scottish government has been reactionary rather than proactive at every point, and it's been majorly disappointing to see. Part of it is that Scot Gov receives the same professional advice from the same pool of civil service advisors, the other part of it is that Sturgeon is a naturally  careful politician who really lacks a bit of imagination and who is very much a centralising influence in her government in terms of decision making.

It feels very much like no one at any point in this whole debacle has tried to get in front of this thing, to focus on building up test capacity. 

Is it not better that decisions are taken in Scotland (for good or for ill) than the decisions taken in another country?

8 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I take it we are all happy to sign up to a track and trace app on our phones in order to get the lockdown lifted?

BuT tHeY aLrEaDy TrAcK aNd TrAcE uS tHrOuGh AlL tHe CcTv! 1!

10 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I take it we are all happy to sign up to a track and trace app on our phones in order to get the lockdown lifted?

Being as I already allow Google incredible access to my life that is passed around willy nilly, it would be churlish not to.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Being as I already allow Google incredible access to my life that is passed around willy nilly, it would be churlish not to.

It's one thing allowing an evil corporation complete access to your life, it's quite another to allow an evil government complete access to your life.

During the lockdown, ive started doing more running. Been enjoying doing 5km at a time and trying to get my time down. One of my mates started following me on strava and then suddenly i have been nominated to run a 5k via social media (sent to my wife as i dont have social media). I have to run a 5k, donate to the NHS and then nominate 5 other people to do the same.

What is this pish? I just want to run on my own

Tell them to f**k off. You don’t have to do anything.

Before easing the lockdown rules I think they should allow one weekend the safest sector of the population to do what they want, and force everyone else to stay indoors. That's everyone on the shielded list who haven't been in contact with anyone for at least a month. One weekend of beaches, beer gardens and sun before we're back in lockup for the foreseeable while everyone else goes out to play.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

It's one thing allowing an evil corporation complete access to your life, it's quite another to allow an evil government complete access to your life.

As if they don't already..

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

How is proof of this going to be submitted? 

Not an issue as it will never happen, sadly. Hypothetically though, the letter from the Government informing us we're on the shielded list would cover most, and if that wasn't trusted mobile phone data could back it up a bit. No way of proving anything 100% though, there's always chancers.

I don't think it's sad it won't happen. I certainly wouldn't want to be at the highest risk of catching the disease and then being told to go out and play because people were given a letter and told to stay at home and definitely didn't just leave their phone at home when they did go out.

Edited by Dele