Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whose in?

CF868E6C-2858-4087-836C-444523CE75F4.jpeg

I'm in but whaur dae I sign up?

11am two minutes silence - I bide alone so there is 24 hours silence except when I argue with myself

3pm I'm usually on P&B or FB or some forum

4pm I'm diabetic so I've got tae watch what and when I eat and drink

6pm is an hour and a half before my dinner.

9pm I'm almost totally deaf and I only ken a few words of that song but Lile Marleen I can hum

On second thoughts forget it.

Edited by Wee Willie

7 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I'm in but whaur dae I sign up?

11am two minutes silence - I bide alone so there is 24 hours silence except when I argue with myself

3pm I'm usually on P&B or FB or some forum

4pm I'm diabetic so I've got tae watch what and when I eat and drink

6pm is an hour and a half before my dinner.

9pm I'm almost totally deaf and I only ken a few words of that song but Lile Marleen I can hum

On second thoughts forget it.

I’LL TAKE NOTE OF THAT.

Just now, Tynierose said:

Well yes it had quite the mortality rate, can't you remember it 😉

I do and I am offended by young whipper snappers like you making light of it.  We didn’t whinge about the lack of PPE in those days, just got on with it.

Having your leg cut off with a rusty saw was the cure for most things in those days.  The plague, gangrene, the hiccups, it didn’t matter; a sawn off leg was the answer.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

But failed to focus at all on the fundamental policy of the day because he agreed with the ERG but couldn't admit it to his party.

Capitulating to the People's Vote ghouls killed Labour's chances at the 2019 GE.

Sadly one man could not hold back a massive herd of Remainer lemmings. 

34 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Capitulating to the People's Vote ghouls killed Labour's chances at the 2019 GE.

Sadly one man could not hold back a massive herd of Remainer lemmings. 

His slide into wibbleness started in the build up for the referendum. By 2019 the damage the People's Vote's awful campaign did was almost equal to his own, but you can't give them all the credit. 

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Problem Labour have is they have zero chance of taking power until this shitfest is long over. If they rip the Government to shreds on their performance and the advice they've been giving, and people start ignoring it, we're all fucked. Plenty time for a detailed interrogation and exposure when things are getting back to normal.

You could be reading this wrong.  Obviously people are supportive of the government during this crisis but still taking note.  Once it is over they will be held to account.  Not sure they will still be popular afterwards.  A lot of ideology getting in the way of doing the right thing

7 hours ago, s_dog said:

madwullie has nailed it. And I've never understood why on earth didn't they attempt to do something about international travel to limit the spread? All these people flying back from China for weeks after it had got bad there, as well as those returning from Italy at the same time we were watching the horrific news stories from Italy? If they'd tested & tracked vigorously then, the lockdown could have been less strict and certainly the number of deaths would be far fewer.  Pity those would have required a bit of planning & a quick response from the Government. Instead, two months after the first cases in the UK, we have the UK Gov failing to get their act together with PPE and lying about it, have went from testing between 10-20,000 people for the first three weeks of April, to those figures jumping from around 18,000 on Apr 24th to 75,000 a week later, so that they can claim to have reached their target of 100,000 tests and not see anything suspicious. And a Scottish Government that have been slow to increase the testing capacity, also struggled to provide PPE, but have at least been far more honest & transparent.

Edited to add: Bottom line is though, we have hundreds of people dying in care homes because there wasn't enough PPE and the Gov were slow to recognise that the spread in care home is far more difficult to manage, and just yesterday the Scottish Gov still only carried out 2000 tests, which is a scarily low number.

Did we have the capability to test then? Did we have the capability to track?

6 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Part of the government's reasoning for not locking down early was that, if we did it with very low numbers of cases, people would get bored of it quickly and simply give up following the rules before the lockdown could be effecttive.

Even with ~30,000 dead and counting, there are already elements of the right-wing media clamouring to end the lock-down and everyday the roads my area get busier and busier. My school is on a high street and, leaving work yesterday, the number of people out and about was similar to what you'd see on a normal day, and there were several groups of people sitting on benches drinking together. When I first went into work 3 weeks ago, the whole place was completely deserted.

I'm starting to wonder whether the government might have been right to assume that, as a nation, we're simply too selfish and too stupid to have locked down much earlier.

I've posted more than once that locking down earlier than we did wouldn't have worked for that very reason. Of course we'll never know, and by all accounts locking down is breaking down.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I am glad we don’t have gun laws like the USA.  If we did then no doubt we would see hoards of Wetherspoons employees storming government offices demanding the right to return to their minimum wage employment.

Does Tim Martin keep them in his garden shed?

Outstanding post. Absolutely this, a thousand times.

But too many high heid yins in labour are supping from the capitalist teet, with directorships and consultancy fees a plenty. Greedy tops common decency all too often, and Westminster appears to be a cesspit for this kind of stuff.

It's so common for good people to get elected, and then find themselves up to their knees in dodgy shit, and having to tow the line.

From the top part, just for my own confusion where is the agreement and where should there have been more flak ?

Turns out quoting is too hard on my phone