Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The SNP are doing okay but there’s no way that the Scottish parliament has the best politicians. Across all parties.

Sturgeon and a few others are of high quality but there’s not a huge amount below. The SNP have been put on a pedestal by their fans despite them losing the independence vote and being the only real electable party in Scotland due to labours ineptitude.

There’re not really some sort of silver bullet that will fix all our problems and would likely be just as inept as anyone else if they were given full power.

With petrol prices skydiving some of their arguments are non existent.

Scotland could survive and prosper quite easily without oil revenue.

That said it’s a pity that said revenue has been squandered over the years.

It saddens me that there is still the ‘too poor, too wee, too stupid’ mentality amongst many Scots.

Maybe years of believing that your inferior has that effect.

A silly, cheap remark.
I don't necessarily agree it's a cheap remark, and I will admit to being astonished by this decision. What claim do any religious gatherings have over cinemas, theatres, restaurants, whatever in the current situation ?

Unless of course there has been pressure exerted by church hierarchies desperate to somehow place 'faith' in the recovery framework despite the plain fact that science, medicine and above all REASON should prevail. Never, ever underestimate the machinations of the supernatural industry.

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't necessarily agree it's a cheap remark, and I will admit to being astonished by this decision. What claim do any religious gatherings have over cinemas, theatres, restaurants, whatever in the current situation ?

Unless of course there has been pressure exerted by church hierarchies desperate to somehow place 'faith' in the recovery framework despite the plain fact that science, medicine and above all REASON should prevail. Never, ever underestimate the machinations of the supernatural industry.

I wasn't commenting on the wisdom or otherwise of the decision.

I was commenting on the (admittedly facetious) suggestion that it would be desirable for church goers to die in big numbers from the virus.

You have absolutely confirmed my point. A thinking person would have understood the analogy - that we compromise safety in the name of economics or convenience all the time, that it's never an absolute and there is always a balance to be struck. That's why we don't have a hospital in every town, an oncologist for every cancer patient, backwards-facing seats on planes and a 20mph speed limit on country roads.

Here's something else to consider - all over Europe the excess mortality among children has fallen during the pandemic. This is likely because they're not getting run over by cars. There's no question that this lockdown is saving lives. So when the virus threat is gone, should we maintain the restrictions?

iF iT sAvEs OnE lIfE...

Like i said yesterday alot of people don’t have much understanding or experience of risk management.

The people who have been posting the meme I pasted below are themselves falling into the “ elf & safety gawn maad “ category.

Literally everything in life can kill you including staying in the house and doing nothing for prolonged periods . Everything from the comon and obvious road traffic accidents to less frequent lightning strikes , industrial accidents, slips and falls, electrical appliances and even trousers. Yes people really do die each year getting dressed.

Obviously we simply can’t avoid anything hazardous as everything is hazardous to one extent or another so what we do is take a calculated risk when we do something , usually subconsciously.

This disease for most people is not deadly, but it is contagious and without some measures it will find its way to the vulnerable and kill them .

The measures we are using at the moment are very knee jerk, like evacuating a burning building. Now that we’re out of the fire we need to move to the next phase as we can’t stand outside in the cold in our pants until the house is rebuiltIMG_1657.thumb.jpg.0acca9032044b80eb28685769368de53.jpg

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wasn't commenting on the wisdom or otherwise of the decision.

I was commenting on the (admittedly facetious) suggestion that it would be desirable for church goers to die in big numbers from the virus.

You think it’s facetious?

Anyway, I’m sure their God would protect them.

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The people who have been posting the meme I pasted below are themselves falling into the “ elf & safety gawn maad “ category.

IMG_1656.jpg

I don't think that's necessarilly true. The people who tend to post pish like this will be the one's glued to social media and drinking everything up as fact.

These people feed off anything the likes of GlasgowLive post, and as they don't mention anything else, will be completely oblivious to normal death rates etc, and therefore incapable of rational thought or comprehension that we cannot wait around indefinitely until it goes away completely.

The media have provided unbalanced, fearmongering news about Covid-19 for weeks now, and the end result is people like this who think any company trying to get back to business are a "discrace" and shout down people talking about anything else as "pEOpLe aRe dYIng"

Clair is the type of person who would go home and rant about you on fb if you didn't walk onto the road to get past her on a pavement.

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Like i said yesterday alot of people don’t have much understanding or experience of risk management.

Literally everything in life can kill you including staying in the house and doing nothing for prolonged periods . Everything from the comon and obvious road traffic accidents to less frequent lightning strikes , industrial accidents, slips and falls, electrical appliances and even trousers. Yes people really do die each year getting dressed.

Obviously we simply can’t avoid anything hazardous as everything is hazardous to one extent or another so what we do is take a calculated risk when we do something , usually subconsciously.

This disease for most people is not deadly, but it is contagious and without some measures it will find its way to the vulnerable and kill them .

The measures we are using at the moment are very knee jerk, like evacuating a burning building. Now that we’re out of the fire we need to move to the next phase as we can’t stand outside in the cold in our pants until the house is rebuiltIMG_1657.jpg

Thing is, I'm actually a bit of an elfin safety goblin myself. I quit and reported a chip shop to Environmental Health after I'd worked in it for one night (they fried off all the burgers at 5pm, put them in an open plastic tub on a worktop and microwaved them when ordered, and they didn't use any disinfectant when washing down at the end of the night, only wet paper towels.) On my first night working in a hotel I got the manger to re-arrange the buffet and a bunch of tables because they were obstructing a fire escape. It's about understanding what risks you can eliminate and which you can only realistically mitigate. No farmer should ever die in a slurry tank accident. But if we raise our kids properly some of them are going to die falling out of trees. It's the law of big numbers, and what's required to reduce those casualties to zero isn't worth it.

We could probably put a big dent in seasonal flu figures every year by having a lockdown in December and January, but it's fair to ask whether it would be worth it.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think that's necessarilly true. The people who tend to post pish like this will be the one's glued to social media and drinking everything up as fact.

These people feed off anything the likes of GlasgowLive post, and as they don't mention anything else, will be completely oblivious to normal death rates etc, and therefore incapable of rational thought or comprehension that we cannot wait around indefinitely until it goes away completely.

The media have provided unbalanced, fearmongering news about Covid-19 for weeks now, and the end result is people like this who think any company trying to get back to business are a "discrace" and shout down people talking about anything else as "pEOpLe aRe dYIng"

Clair is the type of person who would go home and rant about you on fb if you didn't walk onto the road to get past her on a pavement.

The missus and I are continually walking on road/crossing the road to avoid passing people on the pavement.  Often we don’t need to as others do it first.

2 hours ago, super_carson said:

I'm a primary teacher in Edinburgh, and while they are lots of things being looked at by the governments (probably under pressure from frustrated parents) there are just too many obstacles and I get the feeling councils and unions aren't too chuffed about the idea.  

For example, in my class I have two children with additional needs that are so severe they are 1:1 support and would be totally unable to socially distance.  If I was to say they can't come back in June then technically I would be discriminating against them due to a disability.  The younger pupils wouldn't understand social distancing, and what would happen if we allowed older pupils back?  Half classes in the morning, half in the afternoon?  How do we sort who comes when?  Would some pupils require sheltering and how do we effectively teach them at the same pace as those in class as to ensure there attainment gap doesn't wider further?  So many problems for the sake of what would only be 3 or 4 weeks.

I actually would much rather we were in school, of course.  I've had next to no feedback from the majority of families and I worry about the state of their education come August. The councils also keep putting obstacles in our way regarding how we can interact (no twitter, zoom or video calls...) and while this happened fairly quickly, the schools and councils were not prepared for distance learning.  

I work 11-2 as support assistant in a nursery based on a school. So if schools went part time I’ve no idea how I juggle my three and those hours. 

Theres also no way 3 and 4 year olds understand social distancing. 

My kids own school are really on ball with seesaw activities and teams. My sons teacher called him last week as he wasn’t coping too well. He’s been great ever since. 

Don’t see any point having them back for June but they may need be extension of hubs as workplaces reopen.

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I work 11-2 as support assistant in a nursery based on a school. So if schools went part time I’ve no idea how I juggle my three and those hours. 

My kids own school are really on ball with seesaw activities and teams. My sons teacher called him last week as he wasn’t coping too well. He’s been great ever since. 

Don’t see any point having them back for June but they may need be extension of hubs as workplaces reopen.

I’ve found that if you shout “f**k off” at a three year old they stay their distance.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Scotland could survive and prosper quite easily without oil revenue.

That said it’s a pity that said revenue has been squandered over the years.

It saddens me that there is still the ‘too poor, too wee, too stupid’ mentality amongst many Scots.

Maybe years of believing that your inferior has that effect.

It saddens me that the snp supporters still try and put down anyone with a counter argument. It’s this militant snp or die attitude that cost thousands of votes. I voted yes but I don’t see us as being too small or stupid to rule ourselves. I really wish the snp hardline supporters would stop running people down, it’s making the case for independence harder.

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

We're moving more to teams in the next few weeks.  The problem for us was that it was only set up for the P7 class and my colleagues are not the most technically capable of people, either.   I will be interested to use it, I like the idea of doing videos for teaching and being able to speak to my class, but the council keep shifting the goalposts about what is and isn't allowed (apparently zoom is a no-go, yet I see other authorities using it...) and it's proving hard to be consistent for the parents.

My colleagues are also very funny about parents having our e-mail addresses, as they feel once this is over parents would be bombarding us 24/7 but I think it is the quickest and easiest way for parents to get in touch with me and vice-versa.

We get a range of activities out to the kids at the start of the week so that parents can pick and choose what and when they do it but so far I've had 4 PowerPoint presentations e-mailed to me about the topic work I set and that's it.  It's frustrating as I don't know exactly how much work is being done or where they will be when we are back. 

If any parents do have questions about teaching their kids, though, I'm happy to help out - feel free to PM. 

My son, who's furloughed, recieved a letter from his employer, with the furlough conditions. One of which stated he was not to seek employment elsewhere

If you’re furloughed can you take temporary employment elsewhere? 

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

BBC Scotland's news website had a story-behind-the-numbers type article yesterday about some of the people who had died. Entirely predictably, about half the people featured were below 65, even though more than 90% of deaths have been in over 65s. There's not much incentive for the media to provide a realistic picture of things as death among people in their 80s isn't, unsurprisingly, something that grabs people's attention.

3 minutes ago, super_carson said:

We're moving more to teams in the next few weeks.  The problem for us was that it was only set up for the P7 class and my colleagues are not the most technically capable of people, either.   I will be interested to use it, I like the idea of doing videos for teaching and being able to speak to my class, but the council keep shifting the goalposts about what is and isn't allowed (apparently zoom is a no-go, yet I see other authorities using it...) and it's proving hard to be consistent for the parents.

My colleagues are also very funny about parents having our e-mail addresses, as they feel once this is over parents would be bombarding us 24/7 but I think it is the quickest and easiest way for parents to get in touch with me and vice-versa.

We get a range of activities out to the kids at the start of the week so that parents can pick and choose what and when they do it but so far I've had 4 PowerPoint presentations e-mailed to me about the topic work I set and that's it.  It's frustrating as I don't know exactly how much work is being done or where they will be when we are back. 

If any parents do have questions about teaching their kids, though, I'm happy to help out - feel free to PM. 

They started on teams but it was so slow and crashing a lot so it’s mostly seesaw.

P3 get a weekly plan and had workbooks they already had sent home.

My P4&6 are getting daily plans. My sons teacher and I have altered his spelling and writing to suit his level.

My aim is maths, language and reading (older two almost millionaires on accelerated reading) each day. The topic, art stuff is optional. 

Kids learn lots by active learning too by doing day to day stuff.

My son, who's furloughed, recieved a letter from his employer, with the furlough conditions. One of which stated he was not to seek employment elsewhere
That's an employers prerogative. Not govt policy.