Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Don't want to take the thread off-topic, do you have any links or articles about this? Few of my pals are big Brewdog weirdos for which I have slagged them endlessly, it would be enjoyable to provide them with some evidence of this. 

Not related either but I know someone who worked for them in a couple of their pubs in Scotland and apparently they're dreadful employers as well. Constantly understaffed and content for one person to frequently run the bar alone on top of a 50-60 hour week.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Cheers, was hoping for more of the shell company/skimming cash stuff also. Always felt something reeked about the Equity for Punks nonsense, would be nice to see something concrete though a quick google doesn't discover too much on the shell companies/luxury apartments VT mentions. Anyway, mon the lockdown. 

Hadn't heard of what VT's alleging there, but they've apparently been putting up job interviews as a way of getting new marketing strategies without having to pay for them. I believe Jenny Frankart has launched some legal action - https://www.boredpanda.com/brewing-company-fake-interviews-stealing-marketing-ideas/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

1 hour ago, Munter said:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/we-know-everything-and-nothing-about-covid

Excellent article from the spectator which goes some way to explaining how important testing is in all of this and why countries that got an early grip on testing are experiencing a much more positive outcome.

The summary for those that can’t be bothered reading the full article is that the virus is mainly transmitted in hospital and care home environments where the most vulnerable are situated. Get a grip on those environments and the virus is likely to die out itself. Explains why the infection/death charts all have the same shape even though scales are obviously different. Possibly lockdown and social distancing have minimal impact outside these environments anyway. 

I guess we will soon see if these insights are correct or not. If so then the govts complete failure to sort out testing and PPE supplies (especially for the NHS and care homes) is going to reflect very badly on them. 

I'd say more interesting an it is an opinion piece from a writer *on the right of the political spectrum. He's setting his own agenda without any concrete evidence. This lack of knowledge is the centrepiece of the piece. 

Spoiler

Ridley is a libertarian,[6] and a staunch supporter of Brexit.[7] Since 2013, he has been a Conservative hereditary peer, with a seat in the House of Lords.[8][9][10]

Ridley was chairman of the UK bank Northern Rock from 2004 to 2007, during which period Northern Rock experienced the first run on a British bank in 150 years. Ridley resigned and the bank was bailed out by the UK government leading to the nationalisation of Northern Rock.[11]

It seems the political debate is being laid out along Brexit "battle lines". On the left you have pieces like This.

As usual the true course will be somewhere in the middle. 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has there been any documentation published for Scotland having a higher infection rate than England yet?

FM just mentioned the R° is hovering around 1. 

Not sure what this is in other parts of the UK. 

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

As usual the true course will be somewhere in the middle. 

I think this is wrong. If the two options are "something written in The Spectator" and "one of the rarer decent Guardian pieces not published by a staff columnist" then the true course is usually "disregard the former and consider the latter". 

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Biggest recession since 1706.

The financial centre was huge then right enough.

Entering the union a year after a massive recession and exiting after an even bigger one would be some nice symmetry.

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Sturgeon says lockdown will continue for 3 weeks here (but things may change next week, or the week after). What happens in regards to furlough in Scotland if Boris announces on Monday that certain places can reopen? 

1- Square go

2 - Wee Nicola kicks Boris's c**t in

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think this is wrong. If the two options are "something written in The Spectator" and "one of the rarer decent Guardian pieces not published by a staff columnist" then the true course is usually "disregard the former and consider the latter". 

I'm personally left leaning and agree far more with the Guardian piece.

I just think as the right are now being more vocal they'll push against lockdown as much as possible. 

Especially on an underlying economic argument disguised under a cloak of civil liberties being denied.