Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

When taken to task on twitter about how fucking stupid this is, people who organised it were getting quite upset because they'd spent a lot of time marking 2m intervals on the rope to ensure people were at a safe distance from each other. 

Part of me thinks the blame for shit like this needs to lie with the government for failing to explain properly how the virus can be transmitted from person to person. 

It can actually be worse to be standing two meters behind someone (depending on the wind direction) than it is to be right next to someone

7 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

It can actually be worse to be standing two meters behind someone (depending on the wind direction) than it is to be right next to someone

You only need to look at the dragging-it-across-the-room fart phenomenon known as "crop-dusting"

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^^ started his own conga line, no one joined in, kidding himself it’s because of the lockdown.

Nah, as I've already posted on this thread that sort of celebration is not for me - although I can understand why some people might want a "party". At least they tried to observe current restrictions (from what we can see).

I had a period of quiet reflection at 11.00 am yesterday, grateful for those of my relations who did their duty and thinking of others whom I knew who were evacuated from Dunkirk or became PoWs of the Japanese or Italians.

17 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Busy few weeks.
Sales up, more customers, more arguments ( customers arguing with each other is great fun when standing outside)
Hopefully majority of us here understand what social distancing is as quite a fair few don't still.
Hope everyone is doing well :)

Is there a company-wide policy on customer numbers or is this being managed on a store-by-store basis. My partner's son is booked in for a test having started to show symptoms and he's been getting increasingly concerned about how busy the store is and the size of some family groups coming through his checkout. 

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Nah, as I've already posted on this thread that sort of celebration is not for me - although I can understand why some people might want a "party". At least they tried to observe current restrictions (from what we can see).

I had a period of quiet reflection at 11.00 am yesterday, grateful for those of my relations who did their duty and thinking of others whom I knew who were evacuated from Dunkirk or became PoWs of the Japanese or Italians.

You and I have a different view on how we honour those who went before us and made sacrifices, and not just in military conflict.

I don’t think there is any need for this sort of remembrance, which is invariably co-opted for jingoistic purposes.  Instead I think that we should honour them by trying to make society better than it is and certainly more equitable than it was for most of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What's the point of quarantining people coming in when we've got more infection than most of the places they're coming from? Might have been an idea in January. They'd be going straight into lockdown rules anyway.

A fair point that will no doubt never be addressed by the media

Unless travelling somewhere like the US or Russia a person is more likely to catch the virus by visiting Tesco every other day than travelling abroad.

A test (at the traveller's expense) would be fair enough, but a quarrantine at this stage of the game feels more like a way of seeming to be do something, but not, whilst allowing airlines etc a get out clause to shaft holidaymakers by saying "well you could go, you're choosing not to"

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You and I have a different view on how we honour those who went before us and made sacrifices, and not just in military conflict.

I don’t think there is any need for this sort of remembrance, which is invariably co-opted for jingoistic purposes.  Instead I think that we should honour them by trying to make society better than it is and certainly more equitable than it was for most of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I think you're wrong.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Leave that to the Germans.  We won the fucking war, we get to party wherever and whenever. 

2 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Leave that to the Germans.  We won the fucking war, we get to party wherever and whenever. 

That's the spirit! :lol:

How is VJ commemorated in Thailand, by the way?

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'd rather it was about stopping wars ever happening again instead of getting one up the Krauts every year.

I don't think I mentioned getting one up the Krauts.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's the spirit! :lol:

How is VJ commemorated in Thailand, by the way?

We never signed f**k all until 1st Jan 1946.

Anglo-Thai Peace Treaty https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Thai_Peace_Treaty

We were the baddies most of the time, but when the Japs were getting a doing we switch sides.  We were started of neutral of course.

5 mins read it quite interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_in_World_War_II

Edited by SlipperyP