Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They have excellent holidays. No one is disputing that. You seemed to be implying that enjoying their holidays is an indication that they dont enjoy their work or are lazy. 

No one is martyring them. What we are seeing here is the very British style of queueing up to tell other folk they shouldnt be defending their contractual rights and conditions, and instead should be working for free.

Well no, what we actually saw here was someone claim with a straight face that teachers want nothing more to be in the classroom doing their job right now, when we all know that they much prefer sitting in the house instead. As would anybody else who saw their workload reduce or finish with no negative financial impact on themselves. Some teachers prefer to circle the wagons on that point though and pretend that they're some of sort of thankless servants for the next generation. And that's where we point and laugh.

Edited by vikingTON

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I'm sure there are a few teachers who want to be teachers but there are more than a few who are in it for days off and couldn't get a job anywhere else.

To get through the process to become a teacher you have to demonstrate a passable level of presentation skills, communication skills, ability to balance a heavy workload, forward planning, creativity, patience, composure when things go wrong, conflict resolution, an ability to interact with people from varying backgrounds and of varying ages and educational ability, good record-keeping, attention to detail, ability to monitor and assess progress across various areas... I could go on.

Of course, teachers will not all be equal in these things, like any job. However, the idea that someone could be considered suitable to do a job requiring these skills yet 'unable to get a job anywhere else' is beyond silly.

Offices the length and breadth of the country are packed with feckless souls who would break down greeting if asked to do a teacher's job for a week.

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The lockdown wasn't specifically designed to avoid loss of life per se, it was designed to stop the NHS getting overwhelmed with hospitalisations all at once, which would inevitably have resulted in horrendous scenes and more than likely even more deaths.

This has been explained to you more than once.

And there was never a time when the NHS was close to being overwhelmed. There's no guarantee the lockdown prevented anything. Deaths peaked about 18 days after the lockdown started. Based on the average time from infection to death being around 23 days then they peaked before the lockdown would have impacted on that.

The government's own projections cited a lockdown being necessary to push the peak back to May. This clearly didn't happen which should provide an insight in to how effective it was at protecting the NHS.

The government decided on a herd immunity approach, got spooked by Ferguson's nonsense model, and in turn implemented a half arsed lockdown with disatrous socio-economic effects which it will now struggle to pull back until the fabled vaccine is maybe produced.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no, what we actually saw here was someone claim with a straight face that teachers want nothing more to be in the classroom doing their job right now, when we all know that they much prefer sitting in the house instead.

Do you honestly believe teachers prefer this online model of remote working to actually being in a school?

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Do you honestly believe teachers prefer this online model of remote working to actually being in a school?

I think it's safe to say some will be enjoying a slight change of pace, whilst others, particularly those less technologically minded, will be hating it.

We'll have hope teachers and such like don't see a significant lift in their wage packet, this shitstorm will have to be paid for once it's over, hopefully we'll all be in it together this time round. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it's safe to say some will be enjoying a slight change of pace, whilst others, particularly those less technologically minded, will be hating it.

You may be right, but in my experience the majority want to be back in school.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Based on the teachers I hear and see from, yes. There are a few who claim that emailing parents back and forth is much more stressful than trying to manage a physical classroom of thirty weans though, which is when I go back to laughing at their mock piety routine.

Its pretty evident that he uses his wailing about UNIVERSITY OF LIFE!!!! types to mask the fact that he has absolutely zero experience of actual adult existence whatsoever. He's exposed it a few times on this thread.

And folk wonder why his occasional decent point gets lost....

I’ve found the whole experience of working from home horrific. I’m in Guidance so it’s slightly different for me in terms of class teaching but the nature of trying to look after, and provide for, vulnerable children (and trying to do that remotely) has been horrible.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Based on the teachers I hear and see from, yes. There are a few who claim that emailing parents back and forth is much more stressful than trying to manage a physical classroom of thirty weans though, which is when I go back to laughing at their mock piety routine.

We'll agree to disagree then. The majority of my colleagues say the opposite.