Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98

On the point of South Korea, again, I think there are some things that should be understood.

South Korea has never been locked down. Certain things, like schools, we shut for a while. But life has mainly gone on as normal. People are eating in restaurants and drinking in pubs. People are going on holiday internally and moving freely.

The Guardian has a misleading thing on its website at the moment about a robot-barista in South Korea 'easing people back in' to getting take-away coffee. This is the kind of stuff that misleads the public. At no point have people in South Korea been unable to have a takeaway coffee. They're not 'easing back into' anything.

I'm not sure, I'll ask my friends to check, that they were ever even barred from sit-in coffee. They've never been barred from boozers, so I doubt that was ever the case either.

Another example of this related to Korea was the recent stories about bars closing and then 'reopening'. This might reasonably lead an observer to watch Korea for any spike after bars 'reopened'. Yet it was never true. Only a very small proportion of bars were ever closed, and those were all of specific types. All of the pubs I used to go to when I lived there have remained open and people I know have continued to drink in them right through this. I've received the smug photos.

This kind of mis-reporting creates a false impression in the public mind about what other countries are doing and how best to deal with this. It's really poor stuff on such a big issue.

Edited by JTS98

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I assume Todd will now shut the f**k up.

I’ll bet £100 that you are sadly mistaken. He’s battered on with the same viewpoint since day 1 against contrary evidence, so some more being provided to him won’t be stopping him now.

I'd like to make clear in case there's any confusion that my desire for lockdown to continue is mainly motivated by not having to go to work as opposed to any political aims.

I’ll second this. Week 3 of working from home was a bit difficult for me, we were busy and I was working longer hours than I would have been if we were in the office, but now I would quite happily never set foot in our office again. Would like to get back to normality, just not back to work.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

I’ll second this. Week 3 of working from home was a bit difficult for me, we were busy and I was working longer hours than I would have been if we were in the office, but now I would quite happily never set foot in our office again. Would like to get back to normality, just not back to work.

I've been asked if I'm comfortable working from home for the rest of 2020.

Yes, yes I am.

I've been asked if I'm comfortable working from home for the rest of 2020.
Yes, yes I am.

I don’t think I’ll be back in this year either, fantastic really.

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ll bet £100 that you are sadly mistaken. He’s battered on with the same viewpoint since day 1 against contrary evidence, so some more being provided to him won’t be stopping him now.

I’ll pass on that bet thanks.

31 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Another example of this related to Korea was the recent stories about bars closing and then 'reopening'. This might reasonably lead an observer to watch Korea for any spike after bars 'reopened'. Yet it was never true. Only a very small proportion of bars were ever closed, and those were all of specific types.

The cases recently were all linked to gay bars and nightclubs I think.  

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The cases recently were all linked to gay bars and nightclubs I think.  

They were. All linked to one guy who had a night out in Itaewon.

Had a weird experience yesterday - paid for something using cash. Handed the bloke a ten pound note, he handed me change, along with a square sausage & tattie scone doubler, a coffee, and a five min chat at his excellent roadside cafe in sunny Cumbernauld. Unbelievable how enjoyable doing something so normal was.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Had a weird experience yesterday - paid for something using cash. Handed the bloke a ten pound note, he handed me change, along with a square sausage & tattie scone doubler, a coffee, and a five min chat at his excellent roadside cafe in sunny Cumbernauld. Unbelievable how enjoyable doing something so normal was.

I've had a twenty, a ten and a couple of fives, as well as a dozen or so coins, in my wallet for what must be months now. Given that I've finally got round to setting my phone up for contactless, I really don't know why I carry my wallet most days.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That’s sounds like an early scene from The Stand.

I won’t tell you what happens next in case you want to read it but I suggest you start now and I hope you’re a quick reader.

Guest JTS98
5 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Paying with cash is shite and for boomers. Get it to f**k.

Paying with cash is a necessity for many of society's most vulnerable.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^^ six credit cards all maxed out.

Zero credit cards maxed out actually.

I do use a credit card for day to day spending though, as it accumulates points. I then pay it off at the end of the month. Sometimes I’ll use a debit card for certain things. Carrying cash is a hassle, as well as being extremely unhygienic tbh.