Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

681 positive tests over 10 days doesn't seem to tally with the positive figures reported each day? 

Where was it confirmed they were all positive?

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Must say 681 is a lot higher than I'd expected and hoped for, going by the daily walk I do past a Covid-19 test centre (only seen one car pull up since Test and Protect was in place).

As you say, would be good to know how the 741 contacts got on? (Side note, if any of them were to test positive where would that be recorded?)

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think that means all 681 cases were recorded during that period. The announced numbers certainly do not add up to 681.

You only need to go back a few days from 28th May to find daily cases approaching 100 per day. I imagine it would be wise to trace cases from that period too.

I would expect that any subsequent infections would just show up in the daily figures. I do, however, think it is very important to record these cases seperately, particularly now nosocomial infections and the k number are being spoken about.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Cases like this could be the big scandal when the postmortem enquiry comes about. I can understand them cancelling all non urgent procedures for the first couple of weeks, but when it became clear that the hospitals weren't going to be swamped there should have been strict isolation for the Covid wards, maybe using the new temporary hospitals, and let other procedures carry on as normal.
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-09/coronavirus-horrendous-toll-on-non-covid-19-patients-emerging-nhs/

That guy was on Vine on R2 today too. It seemed from his story to be a simple case of misdiagnosis. He had been seen by umpteen "experts" including Oncologists who seemed to misdiagnose his issues. Not sure it was actually Covid related, he didn't seem to have issues with NHS access.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Cases like this could be the big scandal when the postmortem enquiry comes about. I can understand them cancelling all non urgent procedures for the first couple of weeks, but when it became clear that the hospitals weren't going to be swamped there should have been strict isolation for the Covid wards, maybe using the new temporary hospitals, and let other procedures carry on as normal.
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-09/coronavirus-horrendous-toll-on-non-covid-19-patients-emerging-nhs/

That guy was on Vine on R2 today too. It seemed from his story to be a simple case of misdiagnosis. He had been seen by umpteen "experts" including Oncologists who seemed to misdiagnose his issues. Not sure it was actually Covid related, he didn't seem to have issues with NHS access.

My treatment has carried on fine, but I've heard of a lot of treatments for serious stuff being postponed or cancelled. Think they've shut down all cancer screening too, like for breast and bowel cancers, so that could bring a high cost.

Guest JTS98

7 cases in Malaysia yesterday. 2 cases today. A job well done all round so far.

The government has announced it is looking into establishing a travel bubble with Singapore, Thailand, and Brunei.

Interstate travel now allowed and domestic tourism positively encouraged, which means I'll be off to the beach in a few weeks as part of my duty to save the nation.

Edited by JTS98

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

7 cases in Malaysia yesterday. 2 cases today. A job well done all round so far.

The government has announced it is looking into establishing a travel bubble with Singapore, Thailand, and Brunei.

Interstate travel now allowed and domestic tourism positively encouraged, which means I'll be off to the beach in a few weeks as part of my duty to save the nation.

12 cases here. Can't pee at your parents'...

NS is desperately close to misjudging the mood of the nation.

I think it is quite clear that the SG is barred from being further along the route map than the rest of the UK (and by that I mean England).

There is no other reasonable explanation for the painfully cautious easing of restrictions.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Guest JTS98
8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it is quite clear that the SG is barred from being further along the route map than the rest of the UK (and by that I mean England).

There is no other reasonable explanation for the painfully cautious easing of restrictions.

I think context is important to keep in mind.

Malaysia has a population of over 30 million and has had figures in mainly single or double digits for pretty much a couple of months now. I think we've had two deaths in approaching a month. Local transmission cases are essentially a thing of the past here.

Obviously, what happens if/when we open the borders is up in the air, but it's an encouraging move based on months of good news.

Guest JTS98

I see the Guardian is reporting that pubs in Malaysia are still closed. That's not been the case for weeks. Indeed, I was in two of Changkat Bukit Bintang's finest establishments on Sunday enjoying lovely cold pints of Tiger.

Don't believe all you read. An awful lot of their reporting about foreign developments has been off the mark.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Heard the UK is close to exceeding the daily figures of the entire EU, we're well behind the curve.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Heard the UK is close to exceeding the daily figures of the entire EU, we're well behind the curve.

England's figures are irrelevant.

Scotland is quite clearly not well behind the curve, and the restrictions in place here should reflect that.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

England's figures are irrelevant.

Scotland is quite clearly not well behind the curve, and the restrictions in place here should reflect that.

You'd probably enjoy More or Less, a stats show that was on this morning about all the dodgy figures being thrown about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jw02

I wonder if organisations like the SFA/SPFL, concert promoters etc, are now kicking themselves about being so quick to cancel things when covid numbers have been so minuscule lately. 

The clubs cancelled the season because they couldn’t afford to run an indefinite amount of time without income. They wouldn’t be allowed to restart the season until August at the earliest in any case.

So I very much doubt they think they made the wrong call. Even Hearts I don’t think disagree with finishing the season.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I wonder if organisations like the SFA/SPFL, concert promoters etc, are now kicking themselves about being so quick to cancel things when covid numbers have been so minuscule lately. 

Hindsight is a  glorious thing

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Maybe the numbers wouldn't be minuscule if they hadn't cancelled everything? 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Maybe the numbers wouldn't be minuscule if they hadn't cancelled everything? 

This. Social distancing seems to be working so it proves we didn't need it. Or something.

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

The clubs cancelled the season because they couldn’t afford to run an indefinite amount of time without income. They wouldn’t be allowed to restart the season until August at the earliest in any case.

So I very much doubt they think they made the wrong call. Even Hearts I don’t think disagree with finishing the season.

I wasnt meaning for the season just past, I should have made that clear. I’m thinking more of the lower leagues not starting until Oct. Seems a bit OTT to wait 4 months when numbers are so low 

Edited by Thereisalight..