Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, renton said:

New cases seems to have plateaued a bit in the last 3 days.

They have. The percentage of positive tests has been below 1 three of the last five days which i suppose is a good thing.

For the week as a whole there were 134 this week vs 169 the week previous (not including those 40 added on) which is a 20% reduction.

Be interesting the next few days.

Edited by Todd_is_God

They have. The percentage of positive tests has been below 1 three of the last five days which i suppose is a good thing.
For the week as a whole there were 134 this week vs 169 the week previous (not including those 40 added on) which is a 20% reduction.
Be interesting the next few days.
The next few weeks should be interesting. If, as I understand it, the figures reported are a couple of weeks behind the reality then it'll be very interesting to see whether recent protests and the easing of restrictions in general have any effect on the numbers.

If the numbers continue as they are then it makes it harder and harder for the SG to justify this overly cautious approach they seem to suggest we should be taking. I'm not saying lift all restrictions and open everything at once and I do agree that certain aspects of social distancing should still be in place, but if things keep going as they are then there should be no reason not to be entering phase 4 at the end of July/beginning of August.

Nursery access and home schooling is an issue that will disproportionately affect women, when furlough starts to change at the end of July, I cannot imagine the current ScotGov as led by Nichola Sturgeon letting themselves be tarred as anti feminist. 

Its right that they plan for worst case scenarios but there is simply no practical way that the "blended school system" would last beyond the end of Furlough in October.

The Highlands should just declare UDI, phase 4, and shut down the A9 to private cars and buses. And negotiate with similar level countries for mutual freedom of travel.

Weekly infection stats from Wednesday.

image.thumb.png.cfd96c119d34c31babbebd0515d1e8c1.png

Edited by welshbairn

My sons going into P7 this year. He needs a solid year to make sure he’s ready for S1. I’m not worried about his maths but he is behind with language as he’s dyslexic. 

But more importantly he changed school in August  and he’s feeling isolated so needs that time with his classmates. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I saw a tweet last week about how next year's exams should be cancelled as it's not fair on the wee lambs as people are at different stages now.

The fact that students are always at different stages, and that no matter when you hold an exam, the more capable students will score better is lost on them.

It's an excuse and statements like that this morning will only make those calls come back again.

If there are no exams next year we may never see exams in Scotland again, with the justification they are unfair and upset underachievers

TBF any suggestions I've seen about cancelling the exams next year is more to do with course content. The Higher English exam for eg requires you to be able to write an essay in 45 minutes. It's a difficult skill and requires a lot of focus throughout the year - a not insignificant percentage of teaching time goes on this. Teachers really need to have a good idea ASAP if there is going to be an exam or not, to know whether to do stuff like this, or "proper" teaching. 

Year plans are made now and teaching time allocated accordingly. It's not the kind of thing you can just revisit in December depending on what the R rate is

That's it now law to have to wear a face covering on public transport in England (and Wales?) without reasonable excuse. 

Edit: as of tomorrow. More legislation just fucked out there with no debate on a Sunday night. Quality 

Edited by madwullie

Not opening 24 hrs a day does not necessarily relate to all the bolded bit.
But I do think a lot of businesses will be able to manage with less staff.
Aye manage as in bully the staff to manage into doing 1.5 times normal workload.

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
10 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:
Not opening 24 hrs a day does not necessarily relate to all the bolded bit.
But I do think a lot of businesses will be able to manage with less staff.

Aye manage as in bully the staff to manage into doing 1.5 times normal workload.

You're like a f****** Christmas card...

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

TBF any suggestions I've seen about cancelling the exams next year is more to do with course content. The Higher English exam for eg requires you to be able to write an essay in 45 minutes. It's a difficult skill and requires a lot of focus throughout the year - a not insignificant percentage of teaching time goes on this. Teachers really need to have a good idea ASAP if there is going to be an exam or not, to know whether to do stuff like this, or "proper" teaching. 

Year plans are made now and teaching time allocated accordingly. It's not the kind of thing you can just revisit in December depending on what the R rate is

Yeah because no employer or university would ever expect them to be able to write to a tight deadline, so best whine to the SQA to sack off that pesky requirement for the year instead.

The obvious solution to the year planning dilemma of course is for teachers to commit right now to giving all students the same number of teaching hours as would have been expected prior to the May 2021 exams and to sort out their specific working schedule at a later date. The idea that state school exams in fully eleven months time need to be cancelled or watered down because teachers really like their weekend off is utterly ridiculous.

Yeah because no employer or university would ever expect them to be able to write to a tight deadline, so best whine to the SQA to sack off that pesky requirement for the year instead.
The obvious solution to the year planning dilemma of course is for teachers to commit right now to giving all students the same number of teaching hours as would have been expected prior to the May 2021 exams and to sort out their specific working schedule at a later date. The idea that state school exams in fully eleven months time need to be cancelled or watered down because teachers really like their weekend off is utterly ridiculous.
You're like a broken record.

45 minutes ago, madwullie said:

That's it now law to have to wear a face covering on public transport in England (and Wales?) without reasonable excuse. 

Edit: as of tomorrow. More legislation just fucked out there with no debate on a Sunday night. Quality 

Pretty sure that Grant Shapps or some other government drone announced that this would come into effect during the week so it's presumably covered already by the government's emergency powers. The only things to debate is why it took this idiotic government so long to make such a straightforward requirement obligatory and why the supposedly 'safe and steady' approach of the SG has found itself behind the curve yet again. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The only things to debate is why it took this idiotic government so long to make such a straightforward requirement obligatory and why the supposedly 'safe and steady' approach of the SG has found itself behind the curve yet again. 

Need to wait and see how it goes first mind