Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

On top of that, if it's ok to be closer than 2m on public transport, providing masks are worn, would it not be just as ok to apply the same precaution in schools?

If there's one thing we've seen over the past three months is that massive numbers of adults are incapable of following the simplest instruction.

I'd be very wary of reopening schools if your litmus test is that you are expecting pupils to wear masks.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's a whole separate argument.

If there is a 2m distance rule, or heck, even a 1m distance rule, how would you do it?

I would probably tell the councils to get innovative about it. Then whack them around a bit when they publish plans that fall far short of what was expected under government advisement, then bribe them a bit for money to get in portacabins, libraries and other extra spaces. That's basically what this argument comes down to, I think.

There is evidence that facemasks can reduce the chance of infection to maybe 30%, a 1M distance to 2.6% and a 2M distance to 1.3% - it seems like a combination of 1M plus mandatory facemask use indoors in Schools would get you to the same place as 2M, but presumably then with more folk in at a given time. That could make the difference.

Edited by renton

Just now, renton said:

There is evidence that facemasks can reduce infection rates to maybe 30%, a 1M distance to 2.6% and a 2M distance to 1.3% - it seems like a combination of 1M plus mandatory facemask use indoors in Schools would get you to the same place as 1M, but presumably then with more folk in at a given time. That could make the difference.

Do you think that if you were to ask teenagers to wear facemasks, each and every one of them would?

21 minutes ago, Paco said:

But England are clearly comfortable with a fair dose of cases floating around. Encouraging the vulnerable to circulate amongst that doesn’t strike me as anything other than counter-productive.

The government website has "new cases by date of test" in England at around ⅓ of the announced figure daily. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the announced numbers each day are massively more than '24 hour reality' just like deaths are.

With that in mind, it is probably not as reckless as it appears to suggest that taking the same precautions as everyone else is now adequate.

Screenshot_20200622-173450_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200622-173503_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Allowing shielded people to make their own risk assessment is not the same as forcing them to go out.

If you take away their shielding status they could be forced back to work. At the moment my shielding letter can be used as a "fit cert" meaning my employer can't force me back into the office (they wouldn't anyway). It shouldn't be a blanket approach. Each person should be assessed by their clinician to evaluate their risk. 

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Do you think that if you were to ask teenagers to wear facemasks, each and every one of them would?

Send them up the road if they don't. Today's teenagers tend to be less receptive to direction etc once they enter their first workplace, being pandered to throughout life until then will play a part in that.

Just now, Gaz said:

No. 

And of course, part of the problem here is that this isn't about individual judgement and all about group compliance, and you can only go as fast as the biggest shithead in the group.

If there is still social distancing of any kind in August, then councils will have to get more creative about finding spaces to teach in, or get ordered to do so by ScotGov. of course they have to plan for that, but my guess is that by August we'll be looking at a more lax situation regarding distancing - assuming the same trends in cases and deaths applies by then, that we've seen in the last 6 weeks.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Send them up the road if they don't. Today's teenagers tend to be less receptive to direction etc once they enter their first workplace, being pandered to throughout life until then will play a part in that.

Yes, that will work well.

You know schools can't just send kids home?

4 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

If you take away their shielding status they could be forced back to work. At the moment my shielding letter can be used as a "fit cert" meaning my employer can't force me back into the office (they wouldn't anyway). It shouldn't be a blanket approach. Each person should be assessed by their clinician to evaluate their risk. 

That's not going to happen.

How do schools deal with pupils currently who don't follow the rules?

Various behaviour management policies, of which "sending the kids home" isn't part of. We're not allowed to just send kids home. We can ask parents to come pick their kids up as a last resort. Obviously that doesn't work if the parent isn't able to / refuses to.

Wife has had recurrent issues with a dental abcess throughout lockdown. Been getting antibiotics via NHS24 but phoned her newly reopened dental surgery this morning to be told......no can do. Cant do any extractions or drilling so contact NHS24 if you need emergency treatment. All they appear to be able to do are checked ups ( they did give her a prescription) and apparently they are only able to offer 15 appointments a day for those. What's the point in opening to offer virtually no service !!!

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Various behaviour management policies, of which "sending the kids home" isn't part of. We're not allowed to just send kids home. We can ask parents to come pick their kids up as a last resort. Obviously that doesn't work if the parent isn't able to / refuses to.

What do you do if the parent won't pick them up?

I'm genuinely interested btw, not having a go.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

It's happening in Scotland right now.

Well it's not happening here. Maybe because we've had a second shielding letter. Won't affect us (much) as we've no intention of reverting to our previous gad about lifestyle.

What do you do if the parent won't pick them up?

They remain in isolation for the day, watched over by a member of staff (usually senior management).

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Well it's not happening here. Maybe because we've had a second shielding letter. Won't affect us (much) as we've no intention of reverting to our previous gad about lifestyle.

We have to shield until 31st July but during this time clinicians will be assessing their patients own risk to the virus and decided what is best for them. I much prefer this as my consultant and CNS know me and my health better than anyone.