Coronavirus (COVID-19)

50 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've always wondered why, if teaching is so easy, and the perks are so great, why there is a massive teacher shortage. You'd think folk would be lining up to do it.

Putting up with up to 30 weans everyday probably. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't realise there wasn't enough teachers right now, so I apologise for my ignorance. What's the solution then? What makes the career attractive? 

Again perhaps it's my ignorance, but I have trouble with the "time commitment" thing, are teachers really spending every evening and weekend writing up lesson plans/marking work? Surely things like lesson plans can be reused from previous classes etc.

Are they really working similar hours to the likes of doctors?

The first three or four years in particular are absolutely brutal. You don't have lesson plans to fall back on so you're making lessons / creating resources from scratch.

You'll get people say "just use this lesson that someone else has developed" but that doesn't work as you're developing your style and need lessons that will suit you.

This goes on for about four or five years, because when you're new to teaching it's often the case you won't be given "examinable" classes, so you need to do this every year you're given a higher ability class.

I've been teaching 8 years now and would say only in the past 2 or 3 years I've felt I don't need to spend hours and hours of planning as I've taught it all before.

That time doesn't get freed up though, as teaching higher-ability pupils requires more marking. It's not uncommon for one piece of homework from my Advanced Higher class to take four hours to mark, because it's not as simple as putting a tick or a cross - there's follow-on marks to consider, cross-marking, written feedback and so on.

I'm in for about 8 most mornings and don't leave until 5 most evenings, longer if there's a supported study class.

I won't ever compare my hours to a doctor or a nurse, but it's not the absolute skive it's portrayed as.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I didn't realise there wasn't enough teachers right now, so I apologise for my ignorance. What's the solution then? What makes the career attractive? 

Again perhaps it's my ignorance, but I have trouble with the "time commitment" thing, are teachers really spending every evening and weekend writing up lesson plans/marking work? Surely things like lesson plans can be reused from previous classes etc.

It's not a job I'd do - I've known four or five people who were teachers and only one is still in the profession as a subject head in a school in a fairly affluent area and acknowledges he landed on his feet while others didn't. An ex of mine was a languages teacher, and I can remember her bringing work home with her more nights than she didn't although not as a rule at weekends.

She put it into perspective one time for me - at that point I was playing in bands and she described her job to me as the equivalent of going on stage for six 40-minute sets a day, knowing I'd be playing to people who were mostly indifferent and in some cases actively hostile to what I was churning out. Add in the fact that probably once a day I'd also be asked to play another set of songs I didn't really know because some other band had called in sick...when it was put like that I thought "Nah, you're alright..."

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I did it for 10 years. The first 5 years were pretty tough, and a lot of work done outside working hours etc, but as long as you're happy remaining as a class teacher it does get a lot easier after that. Not least because you stop being so desperate for kids to like you and realise where you've went wrong in previous years. Discipline becomes a lot easier, and you can modify a lot of the stuff you've done before to bring it up to date. 

Problem is the grinding admin / politics etc you obvs get in other places has no shortcuts. And if you for eg want to be guidance / promoted, you really really need to put the hours in there. Also, marking doesn't get much easier once you know how it's done without looking shit up etc. 

Great job btw, would recommend, miles better than any of the office / it based jobs I did before, if a but lower paid. 

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

With an hour lunch that's a 40 hour week.

I don't get an hour lunch. Even if I did, most of my lunches are spent doing stuff like lunchtime supervision, or helping pupils who have been off catch up on missing work.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As you get older you realise that using the same lessons over and over doesn't really happen - each class has its own needs and you need to pitch it correctly each time. Paper work and marking do take up time but there has to be a balance.  The shift to the digital side of things is both useful and a hindrance. It helps if you're in a good department. I generally make up all our assessments for S1-4 and my PT does S5-6. Others are far more tech-minded than us and deal with that side of things. 

I will NOT miss the recent home learning aspect. Since most pupils have my subject every day, I've had to make lessons up for each year group daily. You can't really start until you've seen how they've coped with the current day's work - then you have to mark and get next day's lesson typed up (I say "typed" - much of it is written, scanned and added to a word document). My mornings have been spent getting my own children working, whilst replying to questions from my own pupils. The afternoon is spent marking what's been coming in (and it's often late - understandable since many households are sharing one PC) then typing up 4-5 lessons for next day. A midnight finish was not unusual. I will say, however, that Google Classroom is infinitely superior to anything GLOW-related that my own kids are using.

From BBC;

In response to a follow up question from Mr Fraser, Benny Higgins outlines that almost 700,000 jobs may be under threat in Scotland.

I was lampooned for a particularly gloomy forcecast I made several weeks ago. I was spot on.

700,000!! Thats basically everyone outside of public sector surely?

9 minutes ago, Steven W said:

From BBC;

In response to a follow up question from Mr Fraser, Benny Higgins outlines that almost 700,000 jobs may be under threat in Scotland.

I was lampooned for a particularly gloomy forcecast I made several weeks ago. I was spot on.

Really depends what 'under threat' means though, doesn't it.

It's a phrase that can mean whatever anyone wants it it mean.

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't get an hour lunch. Even if I did, most of my lunches are spent doing stuff like lunchtime supervision, or helping pupils who have been off catch up on missing work.

45 then. As you say not a skive but not out of the ordinary (not saying you said it was btw).

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

45 then. As you say not a skive but not out of the ordinary (not saying you said it was btw).

Absolutely. I probably do about an hour at home most days but even at 50 hours I'd never dream of comparing my hours to that of a doctor or nurse.

Edited by Gaz

From BBC;

A large part of them I would think would be jobs in the hospitality and tourism industries, with no real idea yet of when they might open up again.

According to this https://www.gov.scot/publications/regional-employment-patterns-scotland-statistics-annual-population-survey-2018/pages/1/
2.6 million people in Scotland have a job of some sort.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I feel confident in making the claim that any decently sized organisation has a group of people whose job essentially involves sending emails and/ or going to lunch. I'm not saying you shouldn't tolerate piss take jobs as an obsession with efficiency always sucks, is demoralising and is counter productive but I'd rather the folk whose job was superfluous didn't more often than not turn them into petty tyrants.

Teachers are undoubtedly middle class, it's a profession. That they (and the middle classes in general) are underpaid, undervalued, overworked and generally stressed out is as a result of a crisis in capitalism not working for who it's allegedly supposed to work for.

Sorry, mate, all my siblings are or have been (until retirement) teachers, and calling them middle class to their face would be a seriously high-risk  thing to do.

They (and the vast majority of this country) have to work to live - they are, by definition, working class. The whole concept of "middle class" is a handy construct to keep the various serfs at each others' throats rather than at the throats of those who live  a very comfortable life while never lifting a finger. It's worked for centuries, and continues to do so to this day.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Putting up with up to 30 weans everyday probably. 

When I started the Prison job, my sister (St. Michaels, Kilwinning) said she was jealous. I asked why, and she said, "you might be looking after more cúnts than I am, but you're still allowed a stick to support your side of the argument." God bless the Ayrshire Riviera.