Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I thought we’d be at this stage around now. Economy matters whether people like it or not and I believe that forced both Governments hands to move quicker than they’d have perhaps liked.

Not just moving out of of lockdown but with very low infection death rates - not just Scotland but all of the devolved governments. I understand the need to open up quickly but think it may end up lengthening the infection/death curve in England.   

It's the choice governments have to make - I've no doubt that the biggest reason for delaying lockdown in the UK was the Economy.

You'd think that after destroying his original account's credibility by choosing to die on the hill of 'Anthony C Pick: world-class authority figure on nationalism*' that H_B would have thought better of doubling down again for this absolute clown-car performance, but here we are. 

I'd suggest that his third alias account might avoid these pitfalls but given that @Ric has resigned on no less than four separate occasions from the forum it seems that old P and B habits die hard.

Spoiler

some no-mark Esperantist blogger 

086f1cca-2019-4841-b086-6a425a7bf249.jpg.30efca8ed22b0532a06c014bd6a414b6.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

NS also saying Scotland is “not far away from eliminating virus”. What an almighty U turn and considering normal life wasn’t supposed to resume until 2021 at the earliest I wonder what the doomsayers are making of cautious NS being so optimistic 
Isn't that just a phase to pass through on the journey to eradication. Big difference between elimination and eradication e.g. Scotland appear to have been eradicated from major finals after numerous eliminations.

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Not just moving out of of lockdown but with very low infection death rates - not just Scotland but all of the devolved governments. I understand the need to open up quickly but think it may end up lengthening the infection/death curve in England.   

It's the choice governments have to make - I've no doubt that the biggest reason for delaying lockdown in the UK was the Economy.

It could well do. There’s so many places in England that are so populated that it would be a miracle to cut infection rates substantially. I’d definitely agree that was the biggest reason for delaying lockdown. Perhaps if they’d “closed borders”or tested/quarantined travellers as soon as they knew of the situation happening in Wuhan/Italy/Spain then we’d maybe not have had to have had a lockdown at all 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
58 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
NS also saying Scotland is “not far away from eliminating virus”. What an almighty U turn and considering normal life wasn’t supposed to resume until 2021 at the earliest I wonder what the doomsayers are making of cautious NS being so optimistic 

Isn't that just a phase to pass through on the journey to eradication. Big difference between elimination and eradication e.g. Scotland appear to have been eradicated from major finals after numerous eliminations.

Yeah very true, but it’s a more positive term for NS to say after weeks of the opposite 

Not sure firstly telling everyone you can't actually do anything about this was a very smart move tbh. 
Screenshot_20200626_223131_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.60d75ac24205393a621b905e72885779.jpg

That gathering doesn’t annoy me as much of them replacing the C in council with the number 9. Just looks ridiculous.

What about the last letter of ‘Liverpool’. 

At least that resembles the letter it is supposed to replace. The 9 just looks daft because it is the wrong way around for it to be a C. Maybe i am just getting crabbit in my auld age.

3 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

At least that resembles the letter it is supposed to replace. The 9 just looks daft because it is the wrong way around for it to be a C. Maybe i am just getting crabbit in my auld age.

They never needed to have that contrived ‘19’ reference anyway. The already had it in Covid....

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

They never needed to have that contrived ‘19’ reference anyway. The already had it in Covid....

Why would they want to make a reference to the coronavirus on their twitter page?

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

No I'm with you it looks like one of those car number plates where the owner is Dave but he's not rich enough to get 'DAVE' so he gets 'D4V3' instead

^^^ has a D4V3 number plate.

So not through NS' doing summer trips to France, Spain and Greece (and Ireland?) are going to be fair game and quarantine free.

I've got a weeks holiday in July, and there's flights from Scotland to Spain and France (and Ireland). It's been a rather rubbish year (particularly for my 5 year old son) and a summer holiday is tempting, but a fair chunk of me feels having got the numbers down to what they are in Scotland, it would be a tad irresponsible (although perfectly legal) to holiday abroad at this point in time.

I was critical of NS for not easing the lockdown sooner, but fair enough she now has begun to. I'd hate to think that what's been achieved could be for nothing due to Scots filling planes up and bringing the virus back with them.

What's the P&B opinion on trips abroad in July?

So not through NS' doing summer trips to France, Spain and Greece (and Ireland?) are going to be fair game and quarantine free.
I've got a weeks holiday in July, and there's flights from Scotland to Spain and France (and Ireland). It's been a rather rubbish year (particularly for my 5 year old son) and a summer holiday is tempting, but a fair chunk of me feels having got the numbers down to what they are in Scotland, it would be a tad irresponsible (although perfectly legal) to holiday abroad at this point in time.
I was critical of NS for not easing the lockdown sooner, but fair enough she now has begun to. I'd hate to think that what's been achieved could be for nothing due to Scots filling planes up and bringing the virus back with them.
What's the P&B opinion on trips abroad in July?

We cancelled our September holiday to Turkey, me and my girlfriend both kinda concluded that we could be as careful as possible and if it boiled down to someone flying to or from with symptoms thinking it was fine then wed be kicking ourselves.

It’s your decision at the end of the day, but have you considered looking at holidays more local? We went up to Morayshire last year and we had great fun driving the coastal routes and doing day trips.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

We cancelled our September holiday to Turkey, me and my girlfriend both kinda concluded that we could be as careful as possible and if it boiled down to someone flying to or from with symptoms thinking it was fine then wed be kicking ourselves.

It’s your decision at the end of the day, but have you considered looking at holidays more local? We went up to Morayshire last year and we had great fun driving the coastal routes and doing day trips.

The week we have in July was a holiday to Tunisia which only got cancelled this week.

Now that there's a good prospect of my son going back to school full time in August, the last thing I want is to potentially jeopardise that.

But on the other hand I also feel I owe him a decent break somewhere. The Highlands and Islands appeals but I wonder how welcome we'd be?

Alton Towers and that kind of thing an option too, but I'm pretty hesitant about heading down to that basket case country too.

As you say, ultimately our decision, but will take a bit of mulling over.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

No I took this to its logical conclusion and made the most economical choice of changing my name by deed poll to ST65 HTX

Sounds similar to a poster of days gone by who got increasingly irritated at being called Andy because his username was the registration of his first car and contained a letter/number arrangement which led people to conclude (incorrectly, obviously) that was his name.

The week we have in July was a holiday to Tunisia which only got cancelled this week.
Now that there's a good prospect of my son going back to school full time in August, the last thing I want is to potentially jeopardise that.
But on the other hand I also feel I owe him a decent break somewhere. The Highlands and Islands appeals but I wonder how welcome we'd be?
Alton Towers and that kind of thing an option too, but I'm pretty hesitant about heading down to that basket case country too.
As you say, ultimately our decision, but will take a bit of mulling over.
Couple of points.

The Scottish tourist industry is going to be desperate for our support. They're really struggling, and so need the business. Hopefully they'll get it.

Secondly, heard an 'expert' saying that its travelling to these countries is helpful because we're going to a place where the virus is lower. So it's not irresponsible. We're the black sheep of Europe, and we should be glad other countries are welcoming us.

f**k knows how we're going to stop the Americans importing virus though. That's mental, and decisive action needs taken. I'm quite surprised the eu hasn't already acted, as they'd be perfectly entitled to.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Couple of points.

The Scottish tourist industry is going to be desperate for our support. They're really struggling, and so need the business. Hopefully they'll get it.

Secondly, heard an 'expert' saying that its travelling to these countries is helpful because we're going to a place where the virus is lower. So it's not irresponsible. We're the black sheep of Europe, and we should be glad other countries are welcoming us.

f**k knows how we're going to stop the Americans importing virus though. That's mental, and decisive action needs taken. I'm quite surprised the eu hasn't already acted, as they'd be perfectly entitled to.

From looking at (the more reasonable side of) American politics twitter, they seem to be reporting that the eu is going to block Americans from travelling there. So it looks like it's going that way. Hopefully the tories will have the cojones to do something similar but a big part of me reckons they'll shit it.