Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Seems like the majority feeling on here is very positive to the point of worship for the Scottish government.

Wearing masks from the start would have reduced spread to an extent with or without social distancing and a lockdown.
Its hard to put an exact figure on it but history shows it works and Asia dealt with it better as a result of wearing masks throughout.

Leitch has said there's no scientific evidence that they help. Its possible they spun this because of lack of ppe for the nhs. People are swallowing all sorts of nonsense from the snp as world leading example when we've got one of the highest deaths per capita in the world.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

Businesses need much more time than this to prepare, especially if as suggested fairly widely that plastic screens are going to form part of the extra measures to allow reduced distancing. How many chains never mind independent pubs/restaurants have got plastic screens sitting around already?

I haven't looked as I don't own a business, but NS did say that the SG were publishing guidelines today on sector specific mitigations that will allow for 1m rather than 2m.

The cynic in me thinks the SG are well aware that this is too short notice for every business to prepare for this meaning that they will have more businesses operating at 2m for a little longer. This is perfect for them as they can show they have allowed for a reduction to 1m, but they get their favoured 2m in more places for a little bit longer.

Edited by Todd_is_God

16 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Strange . I have also had PPE training.

You can call out what bullshit you like though.

🙂

Oh I will. The Scottish Government has today made 'a face covering' mandatory in a supermarket and other widely used spaces; it has not made 'wearing PPE' mandatory for either staff or customers. So the idea that you need to change a disposable mask every thirty minutes (as per your bullshit claim) while somebody waltzes in off the street with a fucking football scarf tied round their face is ridiculous. So your 'PPE training' is in fact completely irrelevant.

If people up to and including Leitch weren't so thick as to equate 'face mask' with 'fully functioning PPE!!!!!1111!!!' then we could have easily gone back to a functioning society and economy weeks ago.

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Masks are part of the mitigation for relaxing measure which have been more than effective enough without masks. All the data shows there was no need for masks because the measures in place were highly effective

Those measures are being removed and replaced.

They quite clearly weren't 'highly effective' given that Scotland has still had one of the highest per capita death tolls in Europe as well as one of the longest lockdowns and so deepest recessions. Whereas countries that added made mask wearing mandatory from March have had much better outcomes by every measure.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Oh I will. The Scottish Government has today made 'a face covering' mandatory in a supermarket and other widely used spaces; it has not made 'wearing PPE' mandatory for either staff or customers. So the idea that you need to change a disposable mask every thirty minutes (as per your bullshit claim) while somebody waltzes in off the street with a fucking football scarf tied round their face is ridiculous. So your 'PPE training' is in fact completely irrelevant.

If people up to and including Leitch weren't so thick as to equate 'face mask' with 'fully functioning PPE!!!!!1111!!!' then we could have easily gone back to a functioning society and economy weeks ago.

Thirty minutes. You got this wrong already.

Try again 

They quite clearly weren't 'highly effective' given that Scotland has still had one of the highest per capita death tolls in Europe as well as one of the longest lockdowns and so deepest recessions. Whereas countries that added made mask wearing mandatory from March have had much better outcomes by every measure.
Just said exactly the same thing.
There's nothing to celebrate or applaud about how they've handled it.
I do get that powers were limited but the crucial stuff has been as bad as anywhere in the UK. Quite disappointed in the snp and thought they would have been better. Sturgeon has came across well but its just all style not backed up with actual results.
VT has been shouting the masks line for weeks now tbf.

That is to be announced before the indoor opening NS said today. You can guess it will be booked tables only, table service, no standing, toilets 1 in 1 out etc.

One of the breakfast shows this morning said that England’s pubs are two households only to a table.

Genuinely hadn’t heard that before. Going to be a lot of raging people on Saturday I suspect.

Just said exactly the same thing.
There's nothing to celebrate or applaud about how they've handled it.
I do get that powers were limited but the crucial stuff has been as bad as anywhere in the UK. Quite disappointed in the snp and thought they would have been better. Sturgeon has came across well but its just all style not backed up with actual results.
VT has been shouting the masks line for weeks now tbf.
I don't see the majority on here thinking they've done a great job, and very few are hero worshipping.

You're posts are regularly overblown and folk can see through them.

Quite clearly Scotland did not handle this well, especially the crucial first few weeks and even months. Some of that is down to a lack of powers, and having to tow the line of wm - but some of it could clearly have been done better. The vast majority on here have said this, in one way or another.

But since the lockdown got things under control, sturgeon and her govt have clearly done better than wm. The numbers show that. The messaging has also been considerably better, and that matters in a pandemic - it's not all just style over substance.

Some folk want things eased quicker, and some agree that hammering things right down will help us in the long run. It's nuanced and complicated - unlike any of your posts.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Fat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat CuntFat Cunt

I am physically incapable of reading this.

I can read it but shit like this is so fucking twee that I wish I couldn't. And I support Scots etc as mediums. 

Edited by madwullie

23 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I don't see the majority on here thinking they've done a great job, and very few are hero worshipping.

You're posts are regularly overblown and folk can see through them.

Quite clearly Scotland did not handle this well, especially the crucial first few weeks and even months. Some of that is down to a lack of powers, and having to tow the line of wm - but some of it could clearly have been done better. The vast majority on here have said this, in one way or another.

But since the lockdown got things under control, sturgeon and her govt have clearly done better than wm. The numbers show that. The messaging has also been considerably better, and that matters in a pandemic - it's not all just style over substance.

Some folk want things eased quicker, and some agree that hammering things right down will help us in the long run. It's nuanced and complicated - unlike any of your posts.

And your post is? You’ve just repeated half of what I’ve said for the sole purpose of getting green dots by turning it into a gaslighted attack.

All of my posts, every one of them, are overblown? Ok buddy. Whatever.

56 minutes ago, virginton said:

Im not saying they havent fucked it up. But the lockdown and distancing has been effective even if it was implemented way too late. 

The point is that with those things, adding in masks is probably of negligible gain. Removing those things and falling back on to masks seems like a sensible move to me. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Table service / no standing / toilets etc don't bother me.

Booking tables, however, is a pain in the arse as it forces a time limit.

That’s what they’re doing in England, with a time limit too.   I know quite a few bar owners up here who aren’t going to open their beer gardens.  It’s not financially viable for them due to the reduced numbers.

Leitch is a gobshite. The government is making an arse of this. Fucking masks 15 weeks into the pandemic.
There is an argument for now. The measures have driven the levels in Scotland low however to drive them lower requires further steps. It gets harder to continue the downward trend the lower it gets. It's a bit like losing weight. You diet and exercise and that gets you to a level but to get down below that needs calories cut further and exercise upper. The stated aim is elimination or unrealistically eradication. That requires more than we had been doing but at the same time loosening the lockdown. It's a measure they have kept up their sleeve so to speak for the final push.

24 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

That’s what they’re doing in England, with a time limit too.   I know quite a few bar owners up here who aren’t going to open their beer gardens.  It’s not financially viable for them due to the reduced numbers.

I just imagine it will be carnage. To make it worthwhile going out you'd need to be booking 2 or even 3 seperate tables. If they put minimum spends on tables then by the time it gets to that 8-10pm table people will be absolutely burst. Add that to the absolute certainty that there will be plenty of melons looking to start something with anyone who manouvers within 99cm of them and you know what will happen next...

Normally you'd get turned away, but I can't see any pub turning anyone away from a table they can't then fill.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I don't think face masks right from the start would have done any harm but I do see more value in them now. 

Restrictions are being relaxed. We aren't as socially distant now as we were. 

We've gone from one period of outdoor exercise a day and stick to interaction with only those from the same household to non essential shops now open, beer gardens opening and, all being well, from next weekend being actually able to meet up with people from other households indoors, albeit with restrictions. 

We are now living in much closer proximity to other people hence the increased need for face masks. 

I also wonder if we had been wearing face masks from the start we may collectively now be fed up doing so with compliance dropping at a time when the need for them would be at the greatest. 

Edited by John MacLean

19 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
Leitch is a gobshite. The government is making an arse of this. Fucking masks 15 weeks into the pandemic.

There is an argument for now. The measures have driven the levels in Scotland low however to drive them lower requires further steps. It gets harder to continue the downward trend the lower it gets. It's a bit like losing weight. You diet and exercise and that gets you to a level but to get down below that needs calories cut further and exercise upper. The stated aim is elimination or unrealistically eradication. That requires more than we had been doing but at the same time loosening the lockdown. It's a measure they have kept up their sleeve so to speak for the final push.

That's a very good analogy.