Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Cancer treatments were only paused for those patients that were deemed clinically safer to go without treatment rather than come into hospital and catch covid. Like me. It was safer for me to stop a medication completely rather than go into hospital every 4 weeks.

I was slightly less at risk than you and my treatment carried on as normal right through the worst of Covid.

11 hours ago, madwullie said:

Can't be. I've been assured that masks are useless and actually cause people to breathe in deadly chemicals, CO2, rendering them more dangerous than licking a covid patient. 

What I find baffling is that literally thousands of millions of Muslim women have never mentioned how dangerous it is to wear cloth on your face. 

Edit but yeah seriously, that sounds more like the path I would imagine we will go down.

Problem is, as cases rise, if admissions start to track them, putting in measures at that point is too late. They need to be pre-empting admissions to maximise efficacy of the measures, which leads to anger whne it looks like you're putting in measures that aren't required 

Aye, but they're not allowed an opinion without clearing it with their father/husband/brother first...

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Firstly, I'm not assuming anything - you gave a number and I put some context to it.

Secondly, at the risk of you yet again coming out with the birthday card pish chat, 3,500 is not nothing to the 3,500 folks' family and friends. You seem to have an absolute disregard for the value of a life. We all know there will be a level of casualty but it doesn't mean we should dismiss them with a shrug of the shoulders.

Thirdly, a chunk? How many - 10%, 50%, 90%? You're almost heading into wtf does it matter if we die of Covid, we're all going to die anyway. Almost, I said.

I'm not dismissing them with a shrug of my shoulders, nor am i oblivious to the sadness felt by those who lose people close to them from any cause. But at the same time I don't regard a year or two where total annual deaths are ~58,250 rather than ~54,750 as being worth the short, mid and long term costs of reducing the annual death rate from roughly 1,068 per 100k to the normal 1 in 1,004 per 100k

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was slightly less at risk than you and my treatment carried on as normal right through the worst of Covid.

Mine too. 

And I'm not sure how the fact that Scotland gets the furlough money from Westminster as an argument for anything. How else are we supposed to get money - the only route that I can see to controlling that ourselves is independence. Its a pretty weak argument to say we handled it badly because we relied on the UK govt to provide furlough money, money that we as UK taxpayers contributed towards. 

Edited by madwullie

11 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Going around to a friend's for drinks tomorrow night. Six of us will be there in total.

What should I do if more people turn up?

If they know that you're there it's highly unlikely that 6 will turn up, never mind more, imho...

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not dismissing them with a shrug of my shoulders, nor am i oblivious to the sadness felt by those who lose people close to them from any cause. But at the same time I don't regard a year or two where total annual deaths are ~58,250 rather than ~54,750 as being worth the short, mid and long term costs of reducing the annual death rate from roughly 1,068 per 100k to the normal 1 in 1,004 per 100k

You started off well, but let yourself down from the midway point onwards. Yet again you are allowing big numbers to cloud the issue of people dying before their time. 

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Is there any theory why those areas with the higher infection rates (Greater Glasgow, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Tyneside and the West Midlands) seem to be almost exclusively in the old industrial heartlands?

Levels of poverty will certainly be a factor.

Is there any theory why those areas with the higher infection rates (Greater Glasgow, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Tyneside and the West Midlands) seem to be almost exclusively in the old industrial heartlands?

Although working from home is no longer formal guidance in England, it’s still very prevalent in London and the surrounding areas. Other cities are more likely to be working in jobs where WFH isn’t possible, or even offices have returned.

You started off well, but let yourself down from the midway point onwards. Yet again you are allowing big numbers to cloud the issue of people dying before their time. 

They aren’t dying “before their time” though. They’re dying because their time has come. If that wasn’t the case for the individuals involved then they would have survived like the vast majority of people.

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Me neither, but the message that any number that isn't zero is both utopian and unrealistic. It isn't helpful either.

When NS promised an adult conversation I thought this would be along the lines of "people will die" and "we will put measures in place if the number starts getting too high" but that was a mile off.

What's essentially happening now is that NS is approaching this in the way that she wants, with the electorate having no say or influence.

You can argue that was necessary, unavoidable and acceptable in March. I'm not convinced it's still all three 6 months later.

As someone in the "vulnerable" category, we are basically still shielding (more or less), and I think that is the only way forward - maintain social distancing, wear masks (inside and out) and open things up as far as possible - and let the "vulnerable" make their own decisions about safety.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They aren’t dying “before their time” though. They’re dying because their time has come. If that wasn’t the case for the individuals involved then they would have survived like the vast majority of people.

D1-z69PX0AIVRL5-600x338.jpg

21 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Higher prevalence of shaggers in those areas, from this bear's experience 

Several county FA's in tweeting non-league football in England on verge of being stopped.

This is where you begin to realise how well served we've been up here given ours never fuckin' started.

The amount of football clubs (and indeed clubs across all sports) that are going to go to the wall is going to be quite something.

12 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Several county FA's in tweeting non-league football in England on verge of being stopped.

This is where you begin to realise how well served we've been up here given ours never fuckin' started.

The amount of football clubs (and indeed clubs across all sports) that are going to go to the wall is going to be quite something.

Dont tell @Thereisalight... He'll be inconsolable.