Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Until wee dougie asks the same question that had been asked half a dozen times so he can be proclaimed the saviour 

But wait there is a twist

Hope Clarity knows Nick is chasing him. 

17 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

It's not something I'd often say but I do have a degree of sympathy for UK government over this. They will be wary of writing a blank cheque for any future furlough where effectively SG would have the ability to call a lockdown while the financial impact of providing furlough sat with Westminster. If the two governments ever disagreed on how to manage the pandemic you'd quickly see enormous sums spent that one or the other would be unhappy with. It seems like a consequence of uneven devolution, where they conceded early that SG could call lockdowns/general policy  while the real financial power that actually enables them to happen sits with Westminster.

Of course, the idea this slight  ambiguity/misalignment of incentives can't be managed with some competent politics is ludicrous but then there isn't much competence around in UK government at the moment. 

As several people have also said - this is a terrible dilemma for the Scottish government. Lock down now and almost certainly save at least some lives at an enormous economic cost, chucking your existing plan out the window while you're at it, or don't lock down and run the risk that by the time you actually need it furlough support isn't available and the economy gets even worse hit. A few people throughout this thread have discussed the notion of where you draw the line between economic harm and suppressing the virus - this would seem to be forcing the SG to make a pretty explicit judgement on that. It's also a good illustration of some of the problems an independent Scotland would face of how to react to the actions of a much larger neighbour which will inevitably impact you. 

Imagine Corbyn was in charge 😂😂😂😂

Diane Abbott probably would've given Sturgeon 1 trillion by mistake!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Why would we ask questions of them over something that never happened and something that was just a suggestion?

Free bus travel for over 55s is a thing, though, and has been for years. Free prescriptions, free eye tests, free education etc. All of these things sound good and are great, but they need to be paid for, and if this is at the expense of ensuring our health service is able to deal with what is, in the grand scheme of things, a small increase in demand, then I think it's fair to ask questions.

Whether this results in the scrapping of some of those free things, or an increase in taxes to pay for them (either of which would no doubt be met with tear stained rants) it's clear that the current "more free for no cost" model is broken.

Edited by Todd_is_God

So no need for tighter measures now as the JRS will be available to any devolved government as and when required. Difficult for the Clown Troop to wriggle out of that after it goes on the record in the Commons.

The fuckers are going to set the terms for use of it and will do all they can to avoid it.

The best thing that could’ve happened to the UK was Stanley Johnson shooting his load onto the curtains.

Free bus travel for over 55s is a thing, though, and has been for years. Free prescriptions, free eye tests, free education etc. All of these things sound good and are great, but they need to be paid for, and if this is at the expense of ensuring our health service is able to deal with what is, in the grand scheme of things, a small increase in demand, then I think it's fair to ask questions.
Whether this results in the scrapping of some of those free things, or an increase in taxes to pay for them (either of which would no doubt be met with tear stained rants) it's clear that the current "more free for no cost" model is broken.
Where is free public transport for age 55+ a thing ???

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No it's not. Don't make things up to back up your contrarian views.

The fuckers are going to set the terms for use of it and will do all they can to avoid it.

The best thing that could’ve happened to the UK was Stanley Johnson shooting his load onto the curtains.
Setting the terms of use would be a good thing, it would stop any possibility of the scenario BJ just claimed isn't an issue and ensure the scheme was consistent across the UK.

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

No it's not. Don't make things up to back up your contrarian views.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Where is free public transport for age 55+ a thing ???

My mistake, it's 60+

The rest of the sentiment remains.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

My mistake, it's 60+

The rest of the sentiment remains.

Got to disagree with you here, brother. Universality of basic services is an unequivocal good and should be encouraged. All the early legislation of the SNP like free tuition, prescriptions and personal care etc were great achievements and kept me supporting the party long after I normally would've. 

I might have just completely missed this but has there ever been mention of widespread anti body testing? As far as I can see only certain people can get the test or you can pay SEVENTY pounds for one out of Superdrug. I’m fairly convinced I had Covid at the start of March so would be keen to know if I actually did! 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

90% of prescriptions are free across the whole UK. It makes no sense to set up a scheme to means test very few people in Scotland. When the wider health benefits are accounted for I believe free prescriptions actually saves money overall.

Free eye test probably pay for themselves if they stop one serious road accident a year.

Enforcing a national lockdown on Scotland just because furlough money is available would be overkill. If it was genuinely needed then every region of Scotland would be under Tier 4.  But then, this is what Johnson's gone and done anyway isn't it? The regional approach has failed in the North of England because measures weren't taken quickly enough. Far as I can see, the regional approach in Scotland seems to be doing alright so far*. 

There's been a lot of press about the JRS being extended because the South of England needs it, and to be fair it's hard to defend that given the various refusals to extend it. What hasn't been covered is exactly why this area of England needs to be locked down given the rates of the virus are well below the national average. It isn't justified. 

*Give it a couple weeks of the schools being back and this may be revised. 

I think some people are getting ahead of themselves - no politician is going to rule out lockdown - it's right though that the UK government are pressed hard so that furlough is available if the worst happens. 

When DRoss is saying furlough should be extended if required then you know they are likely to have already decided that it will.

I might have just completely missed this but has there ever been mention of widespread anti body testing? As far as I can see only certain people can get the test or you can pay SEVENTY pounds for one out of Superdrug. I’m fairly convinced I had Covid at the start of March so would be keen to know if I actually did! 
I was fairly certain in the week before lockdown, but had an antibody test maybe around July and it said no. Might have been shitey tests my work had tbf, but I am sceptical of having had all of the symptoms, at a time when Mrs Bs gran tested positive and it not being covid tbh.

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

Antibodies are only detectable in a very small percentage of people who have had covid. And I think it decreases as time passes so it is very unlikely that an antibody test will come back positive if you had it in march,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Can't be arsed going through the whole list, but free prescriptions cost very little compared to the administration costs of selectively applying them when the vast majority of recipients are on pensions or benefits anyway. Last time I looked it cost Wales £40 million a year. Do you really suggest getting rid of free education too? At what age? 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Apologies if already posted. Surely a bit of positive news....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/02/coronavirus-t-cell-immunity-lasts-least-six-months-even-antibodies/

That said, are T cells created as part of the response to a vaccine, or would they require a live dose?

Depends on the type of vaccine I believe. Some in development are pretty much unprecented in that they use RNA strands rather than a weakened or dead virus (the latter of which would certainly produce T cells).