Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you think there will be a residual % that will continue to wear masks, have we had a cultural shift? I can't say I'm that bothered. If it was made law and a condition of a return to normal I wouldn't be bothered if I had to wear a mask in shops or until seated in a restaurant etc. Standing in a pub might be a grey area.

I for one despise mask wearing despite wearing it in public places for months now, whether it's a crappy surgical effort, fancier black mask or a snood.

Cannot wait for planes / choppers to land to get the b*****d things off.  The idea of having to wear one for the duration of a long haul flight would genuinely put me off travelling outside Europe.  Might sound ridiculous, but that's the way of it.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

46 (FORTY-SIX) percent of people think those of BAME background (who are far more likely to die of this virus than a good ol' British whitey) should not be a priority over "the general public". 

We're not racist though.

We're definitely a racist country, but I don't think the answers to this particularly bear out any specific racism here. Folk have been asked to answer about 20 repetitive questions about a variety of groups of people, many of whom are amongst the most vulnerable groups in the population and/or the most at risk due to their jobs. Therefore it is natural to rank these groups when you give your answers, regardless of the nature of the question not explicitly requiring you to do so. Very few people will put every single group in the top two categories.

If there was a single question which was something like "BAME people are considered at higher risk of dying from COVID-19, where would you prioritise them?" or something like that, I reckon that 46% would drop substantially.

Edited by craigkillie

I’m starting to get the impression that some people on here consider washing their hands routinely to be a ‘restriction’ that we currently have in place, rather than basic hygiene that should have always been happening.
If a significant portion of the population were not clatty b*****ds then you might be right - the problem is that for many these were not routinely done before.

It wasn’t directed at you, or anyone in particular really, but just seen a lot of posts decrying restrictions and that they’ll be in place for a long time to come. I can only think they mean things like hand washing and occasional mask wearing as I can’t believe that anyone seriously thinks we won’t be able to travel between LAs for years.
If there are travel restrictions it will be for international travel - having to be vaccinated before travelling or certain countries will still be on the FCO naughty step.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

46 (FORTY-SIX) percent of people think those of BAME background (who are far more likely to die of this virus than a good ol' British whitey) should not be a priority over "the general public". 

We're not racist though.

It's not that BAME people are at higher risk though, it's that a disproportionate number of people at higher risk are BAME is it not?

So if you vaccinate high risk groups first, that would naturally result in a disproportionate number of BAME people being vaccinated. There's no compelling reason to prioritise BAME people in low risk groups which is exactly what prioritising based on skin colour, rather than risk, would be doing.

Edited by Gordon EF

Kids in my eldest's class got a new seating plan yesterday. Wtf. They're only having those in the same group isolate in the event one tests positive. So is that last week's groups or this week's groups. Makes absolutely no sense
If we move pupils or have to collapse classes (as will envitably happen in those last 2 days before Christmas) then we have to keep note of seating plans.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

They're still there as a last resort which is all they were ever meant to be. Glasgow one is being used for outpatient appointments atm

I was implying they could be used for schools, (see craigkillies post why don't we build a massive school across the whole the country) therefore keeping pupils away from the general population, seeing as there is no Covid spread in schools... 

Not entirely relevant to COVID but this comment sums up the type of people we (and the government) are having to bow down to at the moment, and I guarantee they have been seething at the idea of schools going to blended learning/closing. A 4 day working week is fine... but only if the state sponsored childcare is kept on!!!1!!!1!

Probably shouldn’t have had children if they cause you this much distress. Some deep regret showing through this post.

67E10AAC-0B7B-405C-9E11-4309B3CF0A0B.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I for one despise mask wearing despite wearing it in public places for months now, whether it's a crappy surgical effort, fancier black mask or a snood.

Cannot wait for planes / choppers to land to get the b*****d things off.  The idea of having to wear one for the duration of a long haul flight would genuinely put me off travelling outside Europe.  Might sound ridiculous, but that's the way of it.

I wear mine 6 hours a day and don't mind it at all. You get use to wearing them. However I do see customers coming in once a week and still don't know how to wear them properly:-(

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Probably shouldn’t have had children if they cause you this much distress. Some deep regret showing through this post.

'Ahve got two weans' is literally at the top of their CV/social media handle/future epitaph though so they are incapable of reflecting on their own life choices. It must be somebody else's responsibility.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We're definitely a racist country, but I don't think the answers to this particularly bear out any specific racism here. Folk have been asked to answer about 20 repetitive questions about a variety of groups of people, many of whom are amongst the most vulnerable groups in the population and/or the most at risk due to their jobs. Therefore it is natural to rank these groups when you give your answers, regardless of the nature of the question not explicitly requiring you to do so. Very few people will put every single group in the top two categories.

If there was a single question which was something like "BAME people are considered at higher risk of dying from COVID-19, where would you prioritise them?" or something like that, I reckon that 46% would drop substantially.

I find the jump in that category compared to others a bit sinister but you may well be right.

22 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's not that BAME people are at higher risk though, it's that a disproportionate number of people at higher risk are BAME is it not?

So if you vaccinate high risk groups first, that would naturally result in a disproportionate number of BAME people being vaccinated. There's no compelling reason to prioritise BAME people in low risk groups which is exactly what prioritising based on skin colour, rather than risk, would be doing.

We don't really know the exact reasons for the higher mortality rate in BAME people. We think various things including what you mention contribute to it. I think we should prioritise our health and front line workers obviously, but if the evidence suggests one section of the general public is more likely to die then it might be an idea to give them a vaccine first. 

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was implying they could be used for schools, (see craigkillies post why don't we build a massive school across the whole the country) therefore keeping pupils away from the general population, seeing as there is no Covid spread in schools... 

Ah apologies. 🤦‍♂️