Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Markka said:

I would like to think that the highlands and islands stay within looser restrictions, as I can't think of a legitimate reason to change this.

So with that being said, enjoy your inevitable lockdown.

I suppose the argument would be that it's better to take action just now no matter what the current figures are, than to wait and then its too late

The new strain is 70% more transmittable than classic Covid. Herd immunity is back on the table!

If this is even remotely true we need to have the UK borders closed, now. It cannot be allowed to spread any further.

London and the south east needs to be fenced off as well. All trains cancelled and motorways closed.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

If this is even remotely true we need to have the UK borders closed, now. It cannot be allowed to spread any further.

London and the south east needs to be fenced off as well. All trains cancelled and motorways closed.

This is entirely impractical though, just as it was in March - you're preventing key workers from travelling to work and also the movement of important goods.

Hard to lock it off, although it should be easy to police people travelling in and out of these areas for the next couple of weeks.

This is entirely impractical though, just as it was in March - you're preventing key workers from travelling to work and also the movement of important goods.

True. Something needs to give though - if it truly is that bad, we can’t just throw our hands up in the air and hope for the best.

2 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Imagine the oxford vaccine will magically get approved in the next week to try and keep people in line.

28th or 29th according to the Torygraph based on unnamed Whitehall sources. How they would even know that if the process is supposed to be independent and at arms length from government is the question that will never get asked in mainstream media terms.

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

I'd say it's 90% certain that this is just cover for the fact that in London shopping and hospitality has been business as usual (other than masks which have no impact).

Now the vast majority of spending has been done it's time to shut down. 

I'd say it's 90% certain that this is just cover for the fact that in London shopping and hospitality has been business as usual (other than masks which have no impact).
Now the vast majority of spending has been done it's time to shut down. 
Nail on head