Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Fucking hell. That's the worst post I've seen on this thread in quite some time. 

'Near normality' in the summer. When the f**k have we been at near normality in the summer?! 

When I could play golf with my friends, go abroad on holiday, go for a few beers with my friends, work from the office if I wanted, go shopping  when I wanted, Visit anyone I liked when I liked.

So basically other than concerts (which I don't attend) and clubbing (which I no longer do either), virtually everything was close to normality for me with the small exception of having to wear a mask at certain times when shopping or entering / leaving a licenced premise.

So pray tell, what was so different for you ??

People weren't interested in having that sort of adult conversation when I was asking it months ago, so you'll forgive me for scoffing at someone asking it now, particularly when the person asking it gives the impression their answer to it would be "none"

Bendan said that asking the question would be his definition of an adult conversation.

On that basis, I asked him what his take would be. No idea why you would think I would say “none” as I have been clear on here that I think there is risk to everything in life, and you have to weigh up risk v reward.

Difference is that I think we have been having adult conversations about what is happening - nothing is being sugar coated and when someone (Leitch for instance) suggests this might not be over as quickly as everyone wants, they get slaughtered and people ask “what happened to an adult conversation?”

An adult conversation is not one where we just say what people want to hear.

In other news, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55458992

Looks like the medics are getting worried.

Sounds like there isn't large cohort of people who can't take the virus because of low immunity or other conditions. Pregnant women are advised not to take it, not because of any evidence that it could be harmful to them or their foetus, just for the precautionary principle, and some people with specific allergies. So once the most vulnerable are covered there won't be a large number needing shielding. So long as most people in the lower risk groups carry on taking the vaccine when it's their turn I'm hoping we'll be pretty free to do what we want by early summer.

P.S. I should add that I haven't seen any evidence that pregnant women are more susceptible to the virus itself than anyone else their age.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

When I could play golf with my friends, go abroad on holiday, go for a few beers with my friends, work from the office if I wanted, go shopping  when I wanted, Visit anyone I liked when I liked.

So basically other than concerts (which I don't attend) and clubbing (which I no longer do either), virtually everything was close to normality for me with the small exception of having to wear a mask at certain times when shopping or entering / leaving a licenced premise.

Aside from the golf, none of the things you've highlighted was 'normal' at any point FFS.

A foreign holiday would be booked on a knife edge of restrictions, rules and travel corridors with the very real caveat of having that corridor closed at any point and being forced to isolate. The vast majority of the population wouldn't risk it as is seen by the continued damage to the aviation and travel industry even in the summer.

A pub was very much not the 'going to the pub' experience that any of us know of. Allocated seating, no music, try not to speak loudly and anyone who treated going to the pub as a normal pub going experience completely vilified in the media.

Working in the office, something I don't miss at all but my office and I'd say a larger proportion of offices didn't open at any point over the year after lockdown - those that did were massively restricted

Visits were still restricted to very set numbers of people in a household and as it was, lasted only a very, very small window of time.

Life wasn't normal at any point in the year after March. Because YOUR life didn't change that much, it still didn't make life normal.

Edited by djchapsticks

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Just apply your own interpretation rather than folk reacting to his every utterance thus embellishing his persona.

'Intriguing*' advice on how the public should respond to statements made by the country's Chief Medical Officer in the middle of a pandemic. Presumably all the other European governments are responding to Scotland's success by preparing their own senior official in facepaint, wig and bulbous, red nose for the public to ignore/'reinterpret' their advice: this being of proven value in handling the situation.

Spoiler

moronic

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Essentially a guy that everyone agrees talks shite talked some shite and rather being shrugged off as probable shite people are acting as it its been passed into law and is now immutable. 

A guy whose opinion is given a large amount of credence by the Scottish Government given his omnipresence in the covid briefings.

Because a vast majority of people on here don't buy his shite, doesn't mean the populace in general don't, unfortunately.

'Intriguing*' advice on how the public should respond to statements made by the country's Chief Medical Officer in the middle of a pandemic. Presumably all the other European governments are responding to Scotland's success by preparing their own senior official in facepaint, wig and bulbous, red nose for the public to ignore/'reinterpret' their advice: this being of proven value in handling the situation.

Spoiler

moronic

He's not the Chief Medical Officer - he's the National Clinical Director who is responsible for quality in the health and social care system - not actual medical decisions.

7 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Bendan said that asking the question would be his definition of an adult conversation.

On that basis, I asked him what his take would be. No idea why you would think I would say “none” as I have been clear on here that I think there is risk to everything in life, and you have to weigh up risk v reward.

Difference is that I think we have been having adult conversations about what is happening - nothing is being sugar coated and when someone (Leitch for instance) suggests this might not be over as quickly as everyone wants, they get slaughtered and people ask “what happened to an adult conversation?”

An adult conversation is not one where we just say what people want to hear.

In other news, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55458992

Looks like the medics are getting worried.

You're wasting your time posting stuff like that, the virus deniers on here (and there's a few) don't believe or care about "a few extra deaths" and just want to return to their pop concerts and nightclubbing with no thought of any consequences for the rest of the population.

In fact, according to them this is only a Scottish decision and the rest of the world is just accepting / ignoring covid and getting on with their life as normal.

Ignorant ? deluded ? or just plain stupid ?

Take your pick............

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Aside from the golf, none of the things you've highlighted was 'normal' at any point FFS.

A foreign holiday would be booked on a knife edge of restrictions, rules and travel corridors with the very real caveat of having that corridor closed at any point and being forced to isolate. The vast majority of the population wouldn't risk it as is seen by the continued damage to the aviation and travel industry even in the summer.

A pub was very much not the 'going to the pub' experience that any of us know of. Allocated seating, no music, try not to speak loudly and anyone who treated going to the pub as a normal pub going experience completely vilified in the media.

Working in the office, something I don't miss at all but my office and I'd say a larger proportion of offices didn't open at any point over the year after lockdown - those that did were massively restricted

Visits were still restricted to very set numbers of people in a household and as it was, lasted only a very, very small window of time.

Life wasn't normal at any point in the year after March. Because YOUR life didn't change that much, it still didn't make life normal.

I didn't say "normal", I said "near normality" and I can only comment on my own experiences and those I know, so again I stand 100% by my post irrespective of what you or any of the others in the "gang" think.

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I for one thoroughly enjoyed watching Scotland at the European Championships.

44 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You see and hear Leitch and think "fake hardman" dear god !

If folk can't see through him for what he is (basically someone massively over egging his moment in the sun) then surely that's their problem. I doubt there are many either hanging on his every word or taking those words as gospel.

What a state he seems to be getting folk in. Just apply your own interpretation rather than folk reacting to his every utterance thus embellishing his persona.

Absolutely outrageous that people would listen to the things a chief government spokesperson says during an unprecedented global pandemic. What fools we are, paying attention to the things he says!

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I didn't say "normal", I said "near normality" and I can only comment on my own experiences and those I know, so again I stand 100% by my post irrespective of what you or any of the others in the "gang" think.

Stand by it as much as you like, it won't make it any more true.

Ignorant ? deluded ? or just plain stupid ?

21 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You're wasting your time posting stuff like that, the virus deniers on here (and there's a few) don't believe or care about "a few extra deaths" and just want to return to their pop concerts and nightclubbing with no thought of any consequences for the rest of the population.

In fact, according to them this is only a Scottish decision and the rest of the world is just accepting / ignoring covid and getting on with their life as normal.

Christ, talk about not willing to have an adult conversation, eh?

Who is a virus denier? Who is not caring of the consequences?

The vast majority of those who are outspoken don't actually deny the virus and that very point was raised by @Genuine Hibs Fan earlier on that a lot of reasonable people who would normally ask reasonable but hard questions of those in charge, are discouraged from doing so because others would not like the questions being asked and threatened by the presence of these, start tarring the individuals asking with the Farage/Lawrence Fox brush.

So well done on proving him correct very quickly. Ignorant indeed.

The vast majority of those who are outspoken of this situation, myself included, accept the need for these ongoing restrictions currently. What isn't acceptable though is the constant pushing out of timescales where restrictions may be lifted or the lack of clarity, targets or roadmap into vaccine rollout. The discomfort at the ease and level of nonchalance with which these restrictions seem to be getting communicated. The impact that this is having on a physical, mental and financial scale on literally millions upon millions of people. The lack of hard questions that the media are giving any of the governments at a point where as soon as the vaccine was approved, the shouting most certainly should have started.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Stand by it as much as you like, it won't make it any more true.

Ignorant ? deluded ? or just plain stupid ?

You seem to have all the answers, maybe you should get into politics and steer the country on a new course ??

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Pathetic mate. Truly pathetic.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He's not the Chief Medical Officer - he's the National Clinical Director who is responsible for quality in the health and social care system - not actual medical decisions.

The government have been propping him up in front of the public since April as The Guy (TM) who is advising them through everything. Why shouldn’t we take seriously what he’s saying and question it when necessary?

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Noble indeed...

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Until your 'I'm alright, Jack' follow up.

Absolutely gone at it being the fault of the public for taking Jason Leitch, the National Clinical Director of the Scottish government and one of its spokesmen for their covid response, at his word. At least when Janey Godley does this level of legwork for Sturgeon and the SNP she's presumably profiting financially off of it.

Edited by NotThePars