Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, bendan said:

It wouldn't be like people in Ireland to have a knee-jerk, the-Brits-don't-have-a-clue reaction.

It wouldn't be like someone in Britain to be openly racist about Irish people

Even though it may come as a surprise to you, people in Ireland don't give the slightest f**k about Britain one way or the other, that's why they didn't even know we're doing this.

What they are actually doing is what the manufacturers have recommended you should do, and what every other country in the world is doing.

They are not setting their vaccination policy to spite the UK, its nice to know they still rent a room in your head though.

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I look forward to hearing them (and simps like yourself) trying to justify this even once we have achieved near 100% vaccination btw.

A planet sized "It's over as a public health issue" brain like yours should be able to give a ball park figure then, without knowing how the virus progresses?

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, superbigal said:

Scotgov claiming the R rate in Scotland is currently 1.4 is just complete bullshit. This is the 1st real thing in 9 months coming out of her mouth that has really annoyed me.

Rates have clearly flattened and may actually be reducing.

Rates might have flattened for now, but number of hospital admissions isn’t going well. Else we wouldn’t be clearing 8 extra wards and preparing our 2 surge ICU’s. 

People need to remember that the average time from infection to symptoms is 7 days, then the average time to be ill enough to require hospital admission seems to be 10-12 days. A lot of people don’t realise how sick they are with this until they are really, really sick. 

Infections going down does not immediately impact on hospital admissions.

Very concerned that the next few weeks are looking like we will see massive numbers of admissions. Scot.gov figures aren’t 100% up to date with numbers in hospital either. 

Squeaky bum time. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Planet sized "It's over as a public health issue" brains like yours should be able to give a ball park figure then, without knowing how the virus progresses?

There are, what, 2.5m on the "at risk" risk in Scotland?

46.2%

And that is a massively conservative figure.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Rates might have flattened for now, but number of hospital admissions isn’t going well. Else we wouldn’t be clearing 8 extra wards and preparing our 2 surge ICU’s. 

People need to remember that the average time from infection to symptoms is 7 days, then the average time to be ill enough to require hospital admission seems to be 10-12 days. A lot of people don’t realise how sick they are with this until they are really, really sick. 

Infections going down does not immediately impact on hospital admissions.

Very concerned that the next few weeks are looking like we will see massive numbers of admissions. Scot.gov figures aren’t 100% up to date with numbers in hospital either. 

Squeaky bum time. 

Just out of interest and nothing more, but are you seeing any change in the type of people being admitted, age, health issues, that type of thing. Be interesting to hear from someone who's in the middle of it all

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And if it starts hitting the young harder, so the "at risk" demographic changes?

And if it mutates to be more deadly, or more transmissable.

What if it mutates the opposite of the above?

Plans should be in place based on the current known data.  Contingency plans should be in place if that data changes.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Also -

Vaccine schedule

Mr Leitch was also asked if there was anything to prevent a move to start vaccinating people 24 hours a day, but he played down the importance of that debate.

“Nothing, except, do you want to go for your vaccine at 4am when I can give you it at 8pm?” he said.

“I think it has taken on a bit of an iconic status that I think is not worthy. It makes for good headlines.

“The fundamental answer to your question is, if you want 24/7, you can have it.

“But we’ve got vaccinators working from 8 until 8, working their socks off round the clock, in and out of care homes.

“I don’t think care homes want vaccines at 3am. If people want vaccines at 3am because they are on nightshift, because they are a midwife – that is already available within the NHS.

“I think it is a little bit of a red herring, the 24/7 thing. It makes for a nice front page, so if they want the front page, yes, 24/7 is available.”

Astonishing stuff.

I don't REALLY want my vaccine at 4am when I could have it at 8pm. But if by getting it at 4am frees up a slot for someone else at 8pm then I'm 100% up for it.

Basic stuff surely?

We need to throw the kitchen sink at this, and to have him advocating doing it during fairly normal working hours is mystifying. Bordering on troubling in fact.

Edited by Steven W

18 minutes ago, Left Back said:

And if it mutates to be more deadly, or more transmissable.

What if it mutates the opposite of the above?

Plans should be in place based on the current known data.  Contingency plans should be in place if that data changes.

There are loads of variables, you can't fix removal of restrictions on a certain number of vaccinations, it's crystal ball gazing. 

How many people need to be immunised is a bit or a moot point, tbh. Come late spring over half of the population will have been infected and/or vaccinated, which coupled with the changing seasons will massively interrupt transmission. Also, eventually I think vaccine uptake in the UK will be extremely high, given the percentage that got a flu jab this year.

Oh, and this 'we don't yet know how the vaccines will interrupt transmission' line is simply because not much has yet been investigated. Hardly any scientists believe it won't at least have some positive impact on reducing transmission. Though it seems future vaccines given via a spray rather than injection will provide greater protection in the respiratory tract and so have a greater impact on interrupting transmission.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There are loads of variables, you can't fix removal of restrictions on a certain number of vaccinations, it's crystal ball gazing. 

I don't see why not, when it is known that vaccination prevents severe disease and thus the impact on health systems - which is the whole reason behind restrictions. Once sufficient coverage is given and enough time has passed for the priming of immune responses, there is zero justification for NPI's.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Oh, and this 'we don't yet know how the vaccines will interrupt transmission' line is simply because not much has yet been investigated.

I'm sure it has, but without putting human guinea pigs in a tank and feeding a vaccinated person the virus and see if he infects the other person, it will take time to get a conclusive finding. Also for how long it provides immunity, the longest study so far is 5 months, only because that was the earliest the vaccines were given out.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

100%.  The only factors in easing of restrictions are case numbers, hospital admissions, ICU and deaths.   Now vaccinations help reduce those numbers and especially by giving them first to the most vulnerable helps reducing things going down that line,  but we have little idea on how to predict those numbers in a partially vaccinated, less restricted population.   

I am not interested in false hopes,  let me know when we have confidence that any easing WILL happen.  Not when we hope,  cos any guesses so far have tended to be wrong.

When are we getting told the R value this week, usually on a Thursday is it not?

Last week 7th the upper was 1.3 and the lower was 0.9.
Last time we were at this level was on 3rd Sept.
At week 2021-1 1704 is the current number of deaths by all causes in Scotland, the 5 year average was 1276.
If you already know this, I'm just posty postying these wee stats so I can find it later.

R value in the report today between 1.0 and 1.4.

https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/research-and-analysis/2021/01/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-issue-no-34/documents/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-34/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-34/govscot%3Adocument/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-34.pdf